• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Power Steering Rack

SilverBullet3g

3️⃣ Silver
Reaction score
2017 Sport DCSB Auto
Silver Sky
So I had to replace my power steering rack last summer and actually ended up getting one from a salvage yard off a totaled 4Runner. My guess is that the big tires and lift put so much strain on the rack that it made it go out.

— So my question is, has anyone bought an aftermarket rack to help with ride quality, I’ve had my truck aligned and tires balanced/rotated and it literally doesn’t do anything at all. I pay the $50 or $90 and it’s like nothing was changed. Just throwing money down the drain.

Im wondering if it would help the issue cause my truck is constantly pulling to the right. So bad that if you let go of the steering wheel you’re going in the ditch.
I’m pretty sure aftermarket racks are good for off-roading and giving you better steering quality when off-roading or just for an off-road type truck with oversized tires getting better ride quality on the road.
Anything helps, thanks.

Yes I have had nothing but issues concerning steering / alignments. When I went to 37s I put the Solo Motorsports modified Tundra rack in along with heavy duty steering connectors….after a year of some hard driving dropped to 35s and still have issues

Upvote 0
Yes I have had nothing but issues concerning steering / alignments. When I went to 37s I put the Solo Motorsports modified Tundra rack in along with heavy duty steering connectors….after a year of some hard driving dropped to 35s and still have issues
Ok, so is there even a cure for this? Like maybe aftermarket upper and lower control arms? I honestly have no clue that’s why I’m asking.

Upvote 0
I can't believe that that kind of steering pull is unavoidable. I have 33s with a 2.5 inch lift and SPC uppers. Handle's great! If you don't have the uppers I'd get them.

I rode along in a long travel 2nd Gen on the Rubicon this summer. He had 37s and didn't have that steering issue. He said he didn't want the tundra rack as it doesn't have the same steering range so you loose turning radius. That would be hard to live with.

-M

Upvote 0
Yeah I have a 6” Pro Comp and 35s. So that’s why. I’d love to downgrade to a smaller lift cause it would fix so many problems but they cut out part of my frame when they installed the lift and I don’t have those pieces on me.

So you think a long travel kit would fix this?

Upvote 0
Back