• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Power Inverters?

Buffa

3️⃣ Silver
Reaction score
2020 TRD OR AC Auto
Quicksand
Hey Troops:
Thinking about wiring up a Power Inverter under the hood...anyone done the same? Points, Problems, Photos and advice?

Thanks Buffa

I haven't but I'm interested in your reasoning. What applications do you anticipate? Have you considered using the one already in the truck?

Upvote 0
2000W of 120VAC would cost you 188A of 12VDC power to make. The biggest alternator I have seen for a Tacoma is the DC Power 270A. At cold idle, it can only push out about 190A total and drops to 170A at hot idle. You just can't pull that much juice from a Taco alternator, even if you get the biggest, baddest one made. You would need to put a battery or two in (deep cycle, not dual starter batts) to draw that much power. Two LiFePO4 100AH batteries would be cutting it close, 3 would be better. They run almost $1000 a pop, then you need a charger for them.

It can be done with enough alt, batt, and charger/inverter, but it ain't going to be cheap. It's probably a lot cheaper and easier to just buy a 2000W inverter generator for your truck bed.

Upvote 0
It's probably a lot cheaper and easier to just buy a 2000W inverter generator for your truck bed.

Yup, a small Honda or Yamaha generator makes more sense.

Upvote 0
If you are running a single battery, you are going to have to have the truck running while using it. Your battery will comp for the sudden demand of tool start up. It's the peak wattage that will determine your inverter size but you probably wont be running that hard all the time. The battery will recharge during inverter down time, but it will knock some life off of your battery. If you are going to put the inverter under the hood, make sure its waterproof and can handle the heat. All of the inverters I've installed were in the cab, in the bed with a cap, in a compartment in a body. And make sure to route wire properly and with circuit protection

Upvote 0
Back