• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Popping noise

jacob21613

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Midnight Black
Tried to look for a answer in forums but couldn’t find a direct answer. So question is when I leveled my taco and put 33s on it I started to experience some popping noise at slow speeds in the front and was wondering what would cause that issue?

I’ve heard this before, I do not have the issue with my truck but I have had it in full size trucks when I leveled. This was a spring “pop” due to the difference in load on the coil spring. This was also due to a spacer lift or level kit.

Did you do a level with shocks or does it have coil spacers?

Suspension geometry is a funny thing. Best thing to do is have someone rock the truck and look inside the wheel well (safely) to see what might be making the noise.

Upvote 0
I’ve heard this before, I do not have the issue with my truck but I have had it in full size trucks when I leveled. This was a spring “pop” due to the difference in load on the coil spring. This was also due to a spacer lift or level kit.

Did you do a level with shocks or does it have coil spacers?

Suspension geometry is a funny thing. Best thing to do is have someone rock the truck and look inside the wheel well (safely) to see what might be making the noise.
I had coil spacers but plan on moving onto a icon lift

Upvote 0
I had coil spacers but plan on moving onto a icon lift

Don’t feel bad mine is on coil spacers too but I simply did it to raise my truck to where it was comfortable to get in. 6’5” and I cannot stand “sitting” into a vehicle lol. I will eventually go to kings and swap the UCAs and LCAs, buuut right now I’m fine where I’m at. I check torque and make sure nothing looks funky. Child #3 coming in November will push off some of the things the truck was gonna get.

On that note I do not have the pop that you say you have. Have you checked all the bolts up front?

Upvote 0
do you hear the same noise when going over speed bumps or hitting drops in the road? check your coils and look for wear on the coil, could be the UCA knocking the coilover. if not, recheck all your torques, make sure everything is good and tight.

Upvote 0
do you hear the same noise when going over speed bumps or hitting drops in the road? check your coils and look for wear on the coil, could be the UCA knocking the coilover. if not, recheck all your torques, make sure everything is good and tight.

I don’t hear it at drops or bumps. Only at the slow speed and it’ll do it once or twice then go away once I start moving more. Will check on the coils in the morning. I believe the sounds only coming from the front left but will check again I’m the only one who drives it so it’s hard to tell

Upvote 0
I don’t hear it at drops or bumps. Only at the slow speed and it’ll do it once or twice then go away once I start moving more. Will check on the coils in the morning. I believe the sounds only coming from the front left but will check again I’m the only one who drives it so it’s hard to tell
I had a similar noise and found out it was my UCA. The tire was rubbing it, holding it down, and then when the tire came off it, it would pop up. I have wheel spacers now so the tire can’t hit the UCA anymore and it stopped.

Upvote 0
It also only happened going slow, like just rolling. And I think it was usually with the wheel turned.

Upvote 0
Just a update found out that it does pop and clunk when turning. Got someone to turn it while I was under and looked like the sway bar was hitting the spindles or gussets idk the parts to well but looked like the sway bar was hitting something could that cause a problem?

Upvote 0
Just a update found out that it does pop and clunk when turning. Got someone to turn it while I was under and looked like the sway bar was hitting the spindles or gussets idk the parts to well but looked like the sway bar was hitting something could that cause a problem?

Can you snap a pic of it?

Upvote 0
So I know the exact noise youre talking about because I also had it and was concerned with it, not sway bar because I don't have it in, and I've heard it come from bone stock third gens at the gas station. I have new UCA's now so i'll pay attention tomorrow if I can still hear it. If I still have it must be in the LCA and nothing can really be done with it, but if it's gone it's 100% because my new icon UCA's and it was the stock ones popping.

Upvote 0
Back