• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Tutorial Plastic Dip Badges

TacoJoe

2️⃣ Bronze
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2018 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Cement
Here a few pics of my first go at painting my badges with plastic dip spray paint. Its real easy.

Step 1 - mask an area about 2 inches around the entire badge or item to paint with painters tape. I used orange 1-1/2 tape.
Step 2 - use newspaper or similar product to shield surrounding areas to eliminate over spray.
Step 3 - spray evenly with multiple coats (5-6) making sure to hit all angles and edges. Let dry 5-10 minutes between coats.
Step 4 - remove all tape and masking products.
Step 5 - peel plastic dip from around the truck pulling slowly to avoid breaking. Once the plastic dip hits the badge it will break clean and stay on the badge.
Step 6 - use a wooden toothpick or similar tool to remove plastic dip from the center of letters.
Step 7 - any over spray will clean off of the paint.
Step 8 - watch youtube videos for tutorials....
20181107_142529.jpg
20181107_144148.jpg
20190110_185811.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190110-192316_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190110-192316_Gallery.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 93
Did this as have 99% of other taco owners along with the grill, curious if anybody knows how long it will last...forever? Any chance over time from sun, rain etc that it peels/chips and needs to be redone?

My grill had a few rocks bounce off it on the highway since I dipped it and you can see a few rock chips here and there, ehh what ever maybe ill redo that in years to come or just get an aftermarket one.

Did this as have 99% of other taco owners along with the grill, curious if anybody knows how long it will last...forever? Any chance over time from sun, rain etc that it peels/chips and needs to be redone?

My grill had a few rocks bounce off it on the highway since I dipped it and you can see a few rock chips here and there, ehh what ever maybe ill redo that in years to come or just get an aftermarket one.
I dipped mine back in April, and it's held up really well. The more layers you do, the better. I only did 3 or 4, and it's starting to wear off on the corners of the lettering. Simple enough to redo when needed.

It won’t last forever. It depend on how well you apply it and how many layers. But even then it is easily chipped. I felt like I did a really good job with mine when I still had them on my truck but it wasn’t long before I found some chrome showing through. Granted, it’s from all the off-roading and the stuff is still realitively durable, but still.

Anyway, good job @TacoJoe and thanks for the write up. Hope it helps some people.

Back