• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Pinel's Off-road Build

JPinel

2️⃣ Bronze
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2016 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
Hello T3G,

My name is Joe, and this is my 2016 Tacoma Off-road. As a long-time Tacoma owner, this is my second taco, but first build. I intend to share and document every step of the process, as well as any difficulties/considerations I have experienced. Furthermore, I have no affiliation with any company, but I will reference where I purchased specific items and my personal opinions on where to/not to shop. Not all of my experiences have been easy, but I am excited with this build and where it has allowed me to go. Please feel free to ask any questions along the way.

IMG_1439 copy.JPG

Current Status: 2016 Tacoma TRD OFFROAD (Purchased used 10/21/17)(ODM 32000)

• Suspension
    • Front
      • Toytec BOSS 2.5 Series Performance Extended Travel Coilover Kit w/ Remote Reservoirs
      • Camburg 1.25 Performance UCAs
      • Wheelers Front SuperBump Bumpstops
    • Rear
      • Toytec BOSS 2.5 Shocks
      • OME Dakar Leaf Pack
      • Timbren Rear U-Bolt Flip System w/ Off-Road Bumpstops
  • Wheels/Tires
    • Stealth Custom Series RAY 10 Matte Gray (16x8, 4” BS, -12mm Offset)
    • BFG K02 285/75/16
  • Accessories
    • Prinsu Cabrac
    • Leer 100xr Shell w/ Windoor Sliders
    • Total Chaos Bed Channel Stiffeners
    • Tuff Stuff Ranger RTT
    • Tuff Stuff 4ft Awning

Hey man, welcome to the forum! Nice formatting on your build thread - I love organization. Looking forward to seeing where your build goes.

looks great, man! good writeup of your parts youve put on there so far. welcome to the community!

Hello T3G,

My name is Joe, and this is my 2016 Tacoma Off-road. As a long-time Tacoma owner, this is my second taco, but first build. I intend to share and document every step of the process, as well as any difficulties/considerations I have experienced. Furthermore, I have no affiliation with any company, but I will reference where I purchased specific items and my personal opinions on where to/not to shop. Not all of my experiences have been easy, but I am excited with this build and where it has allowed me to go. Please feel free to ask any questions along the way.

IMG_1439 copy.JPG

• Suspension
    • Front
      • Toytec BOSS 2.5 Series Performance Extended Travel Coilover Kit w/ Remote Reservoirs
    • Rear
      • Toytec BOSS 2.5 Shocks
      • OME Dakar Leaf Pack
  • Wheels/Tires
    • BFG K02 285/75/16
  • Accessories
    • Prinsu Cabrac
    • Tuff Stuff Ranger RTT
    • Tuff Stuff 4ft Awning
How are you liking the tent on the prinsu rack? I’m thinking of putting mine there

Hello T3G,

IMG_1439 copy.JPG

• Suspension
    • Front
    • Rear
      • Toytec BOSS 2.5 Shocks
      • OME Dakar Leaf Pack
  • Wheels/Tires
    • BFG K02 285/75/16
  • Accessories
    • Prinsu Cabrac
    • Tuff Stuff Ranger RTT
    • Tuff Stuff 4ft Awning
And welcome ??

How are you liking the tent on the prinsu rack? I’m thinking of putting mine there
Personally, I wouldn’t recommend it. It is a pain in the ass to assemble because of how low profile it is, it kills your gas mileage, and because of the design, the t-track shifts. I will be post a write up on why I am getting rid of my shell and will go into detail on the issues experienced with an RTT

Hey man, welcome to the forum! Nice formatting on your build thread - I love organization. Looking forward to seeing where your build goes.
Much more to come. Plan on some detail and organization

So, where to begin…

I bought a lemon. The following truck is a 2016 off-road edition. Purchased October 2017 for roughly $34,000. I picked this truck because it had everything I wanted, for about $10,000 less and it came with Katzkin leather. Yet, during the test drive, I noticed the vibration while braking. With the agreement that the vibration would be fixed with purchase, I signed the papers.… A couple hundred miles later and the vibration was still present.

IMG_6074.JPG

Intending to keep the truck, I sifted through numerous forums and Google. No luck! Luckily, I have a friend in Toyota… For anyone experience vibration while braking, here is the Toyota Service Bulletin (TSB). Your dealer will probably continue to deny responsibility. Be patient, be persistent, and request a service tech to drive with you! Using this TSB and convincing the dealer will provide you with new rear leaf springs, pinion angle adjustments, and a steering wheel dampener.

See Attached File (T-SB-0171-16.pdf)

After remediation, no vibration issue.

Vibration fixed, I moved onto the basics. The following is a 30% tint job done by a local Orange County company called The Tint Pros. Feel free to check them out. They did an excellent job and provide high quality ceramic tint. If you truly want to spend the money, they also offer almost 100% UV protection film. (I have no affiliation, just think they are a good company)

IMG_1267.JPG

Yay for window tint! But my problems were just beginning… I experienced wind noise/buzzing… Ends up that the door weather stripping is faulty. Here is the TSB to fix it.

See Attached File (document(2).pdf)

Then, I experienced deformed window weather strip. Sorry, I don’t have a TSB handy. The service representative did not fight me on this one…

Overall, my recommendation for any Tacoma owner is to stay persistent. Toyota will always side on spending less money. Don’t let them fool you! If anyone has any questions or would like further detail, feel free to message me at any time. Much of my success is due to forums and fellow Taco owners.

Stay tuned for my post on the camper shell…

IMG_7295.JPG

Attachments

• T-SB-0171-16.pdf
    1,021.1 KB · Views: 135
  • document(2).pdf
    864.5 KB · Views: 130
So, where to begin…

I bought a lemon. The following truck is a 2016 off-road edition. Purchased October 2017 for roughly $34,000. I picked this truck because it had everything I wanted, for about $10,000 less and it came with Katzkin leather. Yet, during the test drive, I noticed the vibration while braking. With the agreement that the vibration would be fixed with purchase, I signed the papers.… A couple hundred miles later and the vibration was still present.

IMG_6074.JPG

Intending to keep the truck, I sifted through numerous forums and Google. No luck! Luckily, I have a friend in Toyota… For anyone experience vibration while braking, here is the Toyota Service Bulletin (TSB). Your dealer will probably continue to deny responsibility. Be patient, be persistent, and request a service tech to drive with you! Using this TSB and convincing the dealer will provide you with new rear leaf springs, pinion angle adjustments, and a steering wheel dampener.

See Attached File (T-SB-0171-16.pdf)

After remediation, no vibration issue.

Vibration fixed, I moved onto the basics. The following is a 30% tint job done by a local Orange County company called The Tint Pros. Feel free to check them out. They did an excellent job and provide high quality ceramic tint. If you truly want to spend the money, they also offer almost 100% UV protection film. (I have no affiliation, just think they are a good company)

IMG_1267.JPG

Yay for window tint! But my problems were just beginning… I experienced wind noise/buzzing… Ends up that the door weather stripping is faulty. Here is the TSB to fix it.

See Attached File (document(2).pdf)

Then, I experienced deformed window weather strip. Sorry, I don’t have a TSB handy. The service representative did not fight me on this one…

Overall, my recommendation for any Tacoma owner is to stay persistent. Toyota will always side on spending less money. Don’t let them fool you! If anyone has any questions or would like further detail, feel free to message me at any time. Much of my success is due to forums and fellow Taco owners.

Stay tuned for my post on the camper shell…

IMG_7295.JPG
Damn dude, sorry it has been a bit of a headache for you. That’s pretty unlucky. At least you’ve been able to polish it out so far.

Damn dude, sorry it has been a bit of a headache for you. That’s pretty unlucky. At least you’ve been able to polish it out so far.
It’s been a wild ride but that is part of the fun. Gives me even more drive to continue to mod and adjust to every situation.

New Year. Big changes! Sorry for the late post, I have much to share
A65BDFA0-DDBF-483B-BCAB-E1E5B9D84CBC.jpeg

Here are some pictures of the fabrication process. One of a kind rack made to fit in the t-track on my undercover tonneau.
70FE27D7-3057-4888-A387-360D5A0E147D.jpeg

Incorporated a few key additions. Since I won’t be purchasing a rear tire carrier, the stock tire winch has been bolted to the underside of the cage.
04C7680F-CDD2-4F32-8D58-1671E45D9115.jpeg

Not to mention, mounting tabs were welded specifically for the RTT.
34BD652E-EFFD-44BC-B0CF-18516C82086A.jpeg

In addition, mounting plates for the awning to project towards the rear of the truck.
7BBCCC3D-4CDE-4D26-8028-ED67B744B8F0.jpeg

Finally, nutserts for dual Rotopax and work lights!

Back from powder coat and mounted to the tonneau.
C6C33712-D624-4C9F-BDEF-7F7E8211ECC9.jpeg

BC8B9D71-5E2A-411C-887B-38AF91C4A281.jpeg

Oh and I did I mention sliders...??
9D8F2949-5563-4961-A6B3-AC949A8DE4C0.jpeg

All in all, extremely happy with the progression of the truck and can’t wait to hit the trails! If anyone in SoCal is interested in similar custom work feel free to inquire.

Update. Dynamat on all doors and back firewall. Best thing I’ve ever done. Helpful if you cannot stand road noise
980217C9-5936-46B2-A84B-30F56CFEC6EA.jpeg
C52E2BC4-FB03-496C-A074-8C2FE725E78A.jpeg
ADF6CAA4-9D52-4155-89F0-5716BD3C6044.jpeg

Back