• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

PCS and grill issues

Jlaborde

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
I have a 2018 tacoma. I recently put an aftermarket pro grill on. I had the sensor recalibrated but seems to still have the same issue. The PCS will work for a while as I drive and I can use the adaptive cruise control and then it’ll show me that it is off on the dash. And suggestions?

There is a recall on the sensor. They apply sealant and reprogram it.

I did experience the same issue when I got mine but my work is so far away from my dealer, I kind of let it go for about a week and it “re programmed” it’s self. It always said it was dirty, clean sensor. Even if it was sunny out and clean. I may have gotten lucky but I still need to take mine into the dealer for the warranty.

Upvote 0
I have a 2018 tacoma. I recently put an aftermarket pro grill on. I had the sensor recalibrated but seems to still have the same issue. The PCS will work for a while as I drive and I can use the adaptive cruise control and then it’ll show me that it is off on the dash. And suggestions?
Did you change the sensor when you swapped to the pro grill ? do you have all the garnish and glass needed on the pro grill?

Upvote 0
A lot of times could be the garnish u used did you purchase oem Toyota it a replica garnish (the cover that goes in front of the sensor) I’ve had to reinstall a lot of my customers garnishes because they used replicas instead of oem just as an FYI ?

Upvote 0
There is a recall on the sensor. They apply sealant and reprogram it.

I did experience the same issue when I got mine but my work is so far away from my dealer, I kind of let it go for about a week and it “re programmed” it’s self. It always said it was dirty, clean sensor. Even if it was sunny out and clean. I may have gotten lucky but I still need to take mine into the dealer for the warranty.

Yeah sounds like that may be what I need to do. Although I’ve driven about 170 miles and it still does exactly what you said.

Upvote 0
A lot of times could be the garnish u used did you purchase oem Toyota it a replica garnish (the cover that goes in front of the sensor) I’ve had to reinstall a lot of my customers garnishes because they used replicas instead of oem just as an FYI ?

Yeah it’s just the replica. I may have possibly installed it wrong. Doesn’t seem like it seats completely in the grill but it doesn’t budge at all. Not sure how to adjust it.

Upvote 0
Yeah sounds like that may be what I need to do. Although I’ve driven about 170 miles and it still does exactly what you said.

I do not have the garnish. I put about 1k miles on it before it stopped saying clean sensor. It does still work though cause the BRAKE went off on the dash when someone slammed on their brakes to make a turn right in front of me.

Upvote 0
I do not have the garnish. I put about 1k miles on it before it stopped saying clean sensor. It does still work though cause the BRAKE went off on the dash when someone slammed on their brakes to make a turn right in front of me.

Oh dang that’s a lot of miles. Maybe I just stick with it. Seems like the garnish isn’t perfect though. It doesn’t quite sit right in the grill. What do you have over your sensor if you’re not using the garnish?

Upvote 0
Yeah it’s just the replica. I may have possibly installed it wrong. Doesn’t seem like it seats completely in the grill but it doesn’t budge at all. Not sure how to adjust it.
Yea that’s why they are to thick compare to oem so it’s throws it off

Upvote 0
Oh dang that’s a lot of miles. Maybe I just stick with it. Seems like the garnish isn’t perfect though. It doesn’t quite sit right in the grill. What do you have over your sensor if you’re not using the garnish?

Nothing. Just swapped sensor over and that was it

Upvote 0
Back