• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

P0348 – Camshaft position (CMP) sensor A, bank 2 -high input

RevN3

7️⃣ Connoisseur
Rig of the Month (2x)
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Manual
Blazing Blue Pearl
Anyone dealt with this one? CEL and "Traction Control Disabled" popped up at the same time. I've reset the codes and had a look in the engine bay but nothing seems amiss. I did go through a LOT of puddles last weekend out in the woods. Also had a "Maintenance required soon" message come up around the same time. Seems like a bit of a coincidence. I reset the code. We'll see if it comes back in a few minutes here.

Shit, it came back. Alright, anyone know where that sensor is located or how I can find out?

Upvote 0
Well, I found the locations of the two sensors in the service manual but I'm not sure if sensor A, bank 2 is the one on the intake side or the exhaust side.

EDIT: Got it sorted. Page 4809

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well I found the problem. FUCKING RODENTS!

2020-02-21 16.49.43zoom.jpg

Damn thing took the stuffing from the bottom of the engine cover and made a little nest. I guess the wires got in the way.

Upvote 0
Well I found the problem. FUCKING RODENTS!

2020-02-21 16.49.43zoom.jpg

Damn thing took the stuffing from the bottom of the engine cover and made a little nest. I guess the wires got in the way.
Holy crap. At least you found it.

Try to get the replacement aftermarket. It will be MUCH cheaper than OEM and work just as well. And I mean much cheaper.

Upvote 0
Holy crap. At least you found it.

Try to get the replacement aftermarket. It will be MUCH cheaper than OEM and work just as well. And I mean much cheaper.

Well, since it's rodent damage insurance should cover it. I already put in a claim. The sensor itself looks to be fine. it's just the wiring that got chewed on. It's too deep in the engine for me to feel comfortable digging into though. This is my daily so I need it sorted fast and "fast" does not describe my skills under the hood. Hopefully they can just replace the wiring and don't make me but a whole new harness.

Upvote 0
Well, since it's rodent damage insurance should cover it. I already put in a claim. The sensor itself looks to be fine. it's just the wiring that got chewed on. It's too deep in the engine for me to feel comfortable digging into though. This is my daily so I need it sorted fast and "fast" does not describe my skills under the hood. Hopefully they can just replace the wiring and don't make me but a whole new harness.
True, I forgot about insurance for something like that. I’m used to being told insurance won’t cover cause my stuff is always my fault, lol.

Upvote 0
So, I got lucky. I took it into the dealership and they were able to replace the plug and wire that in. They didn't have to replace the whole harness since the wires weren't shielded. They still had to remove the manifold to get at everything thugh so it cost $460...My insurance premium? $500

Upvote 0
So, I got lucky. I took it into the dealership and they were able to replace the plug and wire that in. They didn't have to replace the whole harness since the wires weren't shielded. They still had to remove the manifold to get at everything thugh so it cost $460...My insurance premium? $500
At least it's fixed.

Upvote 0
Awwwwww shit. I think I got ripped off. Two questions:

1. What are normal shop rates at a Toyota dealership?
2. Is it even possible for a single tech to remove the manifold, run 3 wires from a pigtail into a harness and then reinstall the manifold in 45 minutes?

Upvote 0
Awwwwww shit. I think I got ripped off. Two questions:

1. What are normal shop rates at a Toyota dealership?
2. Is it even possible for a single tech to remove the manifold, run 3 wires from a pigtail into a harness and then reinstall the manifold in 45 minutes?

1. around my area a typical dealer rate would be $110-160/hr

2. It may be possible, I can’t say for certain since I haven’t tried it.

However. Most dealerships (and independent shops) run on flat rate. That is to say if Toyota motors says in their procedure book that to replace a cam sensor takes 2.3 hours and wire repair takes 0.2 hours. You will pay the shop for 2.5 hours regardless if the tech takes half of that time. It also works the other way, if a tech takes 4.0 hours to do that task, you’ll pay for 2.5 and the job will eat the techs lunch so to speak.

In the end, sometimes the shop wins, sometimes the customer wins. I’ve come to the conclusion that you can’t worry about it too much or you risk going crazy and or losing a relationship with your dealership.

Upvote 0
Well, they only had the hood open for 43 minutes. They charged me $460. And they made no mention of replacing the manifold gasket or any parts at all aside from the pigtail. My relationship with the dealership isn't of much value if they want to charge me over $400 an hour. Ya know?

Upvote 0
Well, they only had the hood open for 43 minutes. They charged me $460. And they made no mention of replacing the manifold gasket or any parts at all aside from the pigtail. My relationship with the dealership isn't of much value if they want to charge me over $400 an hour. Ya know?
I agree with you and I have had better luck with an honest, family run, mechanic or off-road shop. Getting shit done at Toyota has its pros and cons, the con usually being the price. I would say you did get ripped off, but to think of it in a positive way, it is a lesson learned that you probably won't fall into again.

To give one example from myself, I needed an ABS speed sensor replaced. It is the SMALLEST piece of plastic on the whole truck.
1582812272052.png

I know you're talking about labor and not parts, but: My dealer was charging me $360 for the part, plus labor. I was going to install it myself anyway, but I thought I would have to pay the $360 for the part. I then realized @LimbaughToyota had it on their website for $80, same part. I then realized this is a generic part that you can get on an auto parts website for $25.

Upvote 0
Yeah, my suspicion is that they didn't actually remove the manifold. I think they use some long needle nose pliers to get the plug out, rewired the harness and then jammed it back in. The invoice gives ZERO detail.

Upvote 0
Back