SoCal OVtune flash installs!!

• Hello, visitor! Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a resource for 3rd Generation Toyota Tacoma owners.

Tacoma3G is a friendly community dedicated to 2016-2021 Toyota Tacoma and Overland Enthusiasts. Registration is completely free and only takes 30 seconds, so we hope to see you and your rig soon!
This posting is for
Selling
Hi all!! I'm now doing authorized flash installs of OVTune software for the 3.5 Tacoma.

This software changes the way your motor performs and more importantly, the way your transmission shifts.

We all know the Achilles heel and bane of our driving experience is the neurotic shifting of the OE Tacoma shift programming. It's insane and is enough to drive any owner to consider selling the truck. But don't do that!! There is a cure.

OVtune reprograms the ECU and TCU software to a much, much better performing system that will make you fall in love with your truck all over again.

I am now offering flash installs for the local Tacoma community and will reprogram your software for a fraction of what the full cost is through OV.

How can I do this? I figured out how to install and understand the software over the last couple of years of running the same software on my own truck. Now I am authorized by OVTune to install directly to other users trucks.

Why is it cheaper? Through OVTune you have to order the full install software for your computer, the cables and hardware to make it work, and the tunes specific to your vehicle. Through me you do not need the software or hardware and I install the tune onto your truck. By not having the added expense of the hardware's and software I can offer you a deal better than the full price.

So what do you get? Together we decide what time best fits your truck based on your build and driving habits, gear size, tire size, and any significant added weight. Then we install on your truck and your good to go!!

For further details feel free to send me a message and I'd be happy to schedule you an appointment in the San Diego area, or maybe meet up when I'm in the road traveling.

Thanks for looking and hit me up!!

Edit: I will update this thread if I am prepping to travel anywhere. Maybe it will help someone who realizes I'll be in there area and can do a flash while I travel. Be sure to follow this thread as I do a lot of travel around the southwest US.

Last edited:

Andrew0311

✓ • Silver
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Andrew Gagliardo
Truck Year
Truck Color
Cement
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#1,413
If I were to tune it with my set up now (pulling a small TT, specific wheels and tires, stock gearing) and decide to make a change later like re gearing or tire size can it be re tuned? Or re tuned back to normal for whatever reason might occur that I’d need it stock?

Mr. Nobody

✓ • Connoisseur
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
If I were to tune it with my set up now (pulling a small TT, specific wheels and tires, stock gearing) and decide to make a change later like re gearing or tire size can it be re tuned? Or re tuned back to normal for whatever reason might occur that I’d need it stock?

Great questions. One of the advantages of tuning with me is that included in the initial purchase price is unlimited necessary reflashes anytime in the future. So as you mentioned many people may regear or increase their tire size and at that point a reflash would be beneficial and imo necessary. So I would happily reflash a newer updated and more appropriate tune at no additional charge.

Also, there is really no reason to ever flash back to stock. But if you needed to for some reason I would help out with that as well.

hawsa

✓ • Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Color
Cement
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Manual
T3G Member
#6,204
Great questions. One of the advantages of tuning with me is that included in the initial purchase price is unlimited necessary reflashes anytime in the future. So as you mentioned many people may regear or increase their tire size and at that point a reflash would be beneficial and imo necessary. So I would happily reflash a newer updated and more appropriate tune at no additional charge.

Also, there is really no reason to ever flash back to stock. But if you needed to for some reason I would help out with that as well.
I ended up purchasing the kit. Haven't received it yet. How easy is it to navigate the tune pack? Complete noob to tuning here so I'm hoping it's pretty intuitive to grab a new tune file based on the criteria like tire size, regear, etc...

Curious on your input since you're so experienced with it.

Shaw720

✓ • Bronze
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#5,823
I ended up purchasing the kit. Haven't received it yet. How easy is it to navigate the tune pack? Complete noob to tuning here so I'm hoping it's pretty intuitive to grab a new tune file based on the criteria like tire size, regear, etc...

I tuned mine myself. The tune sent by OV are simple to install. But as far as the custom tuning if you want to play with the tune yourself I would learn how too use the tuner before playing around. I have zero experience tuning and mine works fine. I only use the 91 oct tune so far. I will be tuning to 87 oct for winter so i can keep some traction to the ground. IMO the tune is great but needs a lot of work in some areas. But easy fixes if you know how too tune those areas. I printed all the instructions off with a printer then put them in folders and read through all the instructions. Made it a lot easier to read then off a cell phone.

3cent.Taco

✓ • Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Vincent
Truck Year
Truck Color
Midnight Black
Truck Grade
Pro
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#2,889
If you're ever in Texas, count me in!

rmreid20

✓ • Bronze
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Color
Magnetic Gray
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#5,967
If you ever get to the Memphis area, I would be interested

Mr. Nobody

✓ • Connoisseur
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member

It's definitely pretty easy to get through the actual flashing process. The setup is probably the hardest part. There's a number of back and forth emails that you have to send between yourself and OV, but once you get past those is pretty easy.

If you're ever in Texas, count me in!
Where in Texas? I've got family in DFW.
If you ever get to the Memphis area, I would be interested

I'll definitely check this thread before I leave anywhere and if I'm ever in any area that somebody mentions in here I'll be sure to hit them up.

Mr. Nobody

✓ • Connoisseur
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member

3cent.Taco

✓ • Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Vincent
Truck Year
Truck Color
Midnight Black
Truck Grade
Pro
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#2,889
We may be out there around the end of the year.
Awesome! I need to figure out which gears I need to get. I'm planning to buy some near the end of the year.

Mr. Nobody

✓ • Connoisseur
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
Awesome! I need to figure out which gears I need to get. I'm planning to buy some near the end of the year.

Since I would be flashing in an area not local to me it would be best for you to have the gears installed and broken in already so we can put the correct tune for the long run into the truck. It doesn't make sense to flash the factory gearing tune just to have to news gears installed a month later.

3cent.Taco

✓ • Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Vincent
Truck Year
Truck Color
Midnight Black
Truck Grade
Pro
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#2,889
Since I would be flashing in an area not local to me it would be best for you to have the gears installed and broken in already so we can put the correct tune for the long run into the truck. It doesn't make sense to flash the factory gearing tune just to have to news gears installed a month later.
Ah... good tip. Okay. I guess, I will plan the best I can. If it doesn't happen this time around, then maybe in the future. I'm hoping to wait for some Black Friday deals in a month or so.

Jetspeed

✓ • Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Upvotes Recieved
T3G Member
#7,175
Mr. Nobody

Looking to purchase the OVTuner and need guidance on exactly what to purchase from ovtuned.com

2021 TRD Off-Road with Premium Off-Road Package and Technology Package with Nitro 5.29'S

If anyone could tell me exactly which products to buy I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

Mr. Nobody

✓ • Connoisseur
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
Mr. Nobody

Looking to purchase the OVTuner and need guidance on exactly what to purchase from ovtuned.com

2021 TRD Off-Road with Premium Off-Road Package and Technology Package with Nitro 5.29'S

If anyone could tell me exactly which products to buy I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

Message sent.

You need the VFTuner software and cable package, as well as a tune pack. With those you'll be able to flash your truck. Total comes out to around $800.

NVTaco

✓ • Bronze
Tacoma3G Supporter
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Color
Super White
Truck Grade
Pro
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#7,445
x2 for the Carson City/Reno/Tahoe area. Heck, if you are going to be anywhere north of Bishop, I can cruise down.

Mr. Nobody

✓ • Connoisseur
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
Has anyone Tuned a 2021 TRD Off-Road yet? Results?

2021 tunes haven't been released yet. They are currently being worked on but have not dropped. Hopefully soon.

x2 for the Carson City/Reno/Tahoe area. Heck, if you are going to be anywhere north of Bishop, I can cruise down.
I actually got hit up by another guy up there the other day so this may actually happen. I'll get back to you with details.

NVTaco

✓ • Bronze
Tacoma3G Supporter
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Color
Super White
Truck Grade
Pro
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#7,445
2021 tunes haven't been released yet. They are currently being worked on but have not dropped. Hopefully soon.

I actually got hit up by another guy up there the other day so this may actually happen. I'll get back to you with details.
I'll have to wait until the 21 tunes are released. I have a coworker who may be interested as well.

Mr. Nobody

✓ • Connoisseur
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
I'll mark down in my notes that you need a 2021 tune and get back to you when they release. 👍

TacoHog

✓ • Bronze
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Color
Cement
Truck Grade
Pro
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Manual
T3G Member
#5,491
hi- I know this is a bit of an old thread- are you still doing the ov tunes? do u ever get up to sf bay area? I have the ov and love it- but I want to do the customized for tire size etc -Let me know
thanks
mark

Top Bottom