• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Overthought Spare Tire

Woad

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
I searched for something like this and couldn't find it, I combined some ideas from multiples users and thought I would share for other people trying to do what I did.

I wanted to fit a full size 285/70/17 spare tire, and have it be part of my 5 wheel rotation. Two problems i've seen personally from mine or my friend's trucks.

1.) The wheel getting scratched underneath the truck, either from debris, the spare tire holder or the crossmember in the bed frame.

2.) The tire getting indented from the crossmember pushing constantly.

First I stole Hodakguy's chain hoist relocation.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...to-new-adventures.528480/page-5#post-17311994

Painted and clear coated. That yellow you see is cosmoline.

thumbnail_IMG_7555.jpg

Next I wrapped the hoist chuck with foam pads, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071R4DR1R/?tag=tacoma3g-20

On second thought, this wasn't necessary because its along the backside of the wheel, I had the stuff laying around and figured it wouldn't hurt.

thumbnail_IMG_7554.jpg

Lastly, I wanted to protect the top of the wheel from being indented by the crossmember. I purchased this from a tractory supply/cals ranch/ farm store

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...t-black-4-ft-x-3-ft-x--frac12-in?cm_vc=-10

thumbnail_IMG_7553.jpg

Cut it to the wheel and hoisted it up, it was WAAAY to big in diameter. So i cut it down signifcantly smaller.

thumbnail_IMG_7563.jpg

Everything seems to be protected, most likely overkill, but my little brain likes it.

Hey, good ideas! Overkill or not, little solutions to little problems like this get a fair amount of views. That little feeling of “wow, this is exactly what I needed!” when you do a search for something peculiar that you weren’t expecting anyone else to have thought of. With that being said, I added this to my list of little guides that will eventually be in the main menu of the site.

I'm liking this idea. I might need to borrow this while I wait on my swingout.

Another problem with an oversize spare under the bed is that if you're not paying attention, you can slightly melt your spare if it's rubbing up against the exhaust. Ask me how I know 🥲

Shoot! I was curious about that as well! Do you think if you had wrapped your exhaust near there it would have done anything? I have about a finger of space between mine.

To go along with completely overkill ideas , I finished up with a jack extension for the lifted truck and exhaust wrap.

CBCB9540-B78C-4015-ACE3-26001D0FFDEC.jpeg
5554300C-C272-483A-9784-50B0CA1E4C66.jpeg
8E1CC29F-1025-43E6-B4F3-147FA8FC0FA8.jpeg

Shoot! I was curious about that as well! Do you think if you had wrapped your exhaust near there it would have done anything? I have about a finger of space between mine.
Hmm, good thought. No ideas though, my 270/75/r17 was completely stuffed underneath. It was literally touching my mbrp exhaust. I just took a Sawzall to it to solve that problem. Custom-made axle dump lol. If I get a new exhaust I might try that though

Back