• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Ov tune/sprint booster/trans shift

Sr5_flossing16

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
What do you all recommend?? And can you send me the link to the sprint booster and the trans shift thing please can someone help or send me the brands and stuff and website and I will look it up

Sprint Booster and ShiftSense are kind of a combination of OVTune. Spring Booster gives you the better acceleration, ShiftSense the better shifting points, and OVTune gives you both and more. Most people would say if you have the money, do it right and go with OVTune.

The OVTune currently states they are moving stuff around to have a better buying process. Not sure if you can currently order it.
https://www.ovtuned.com/

He's out of the country for like a month or more. No more orders will be fullfilled until he gets back

Sprint Booster and ShiftSense are kind of a combination of OVTune. Spring Booster gives you the better acceleration, ShiftSense the better shifting points, and OVTune gives you both and more. Most people would say if you have the money, do it right and go with OVTune.

The OVTune currently states they are moving stuff around to have a better buying process. Not sure if you can currently order it.
https://www.ovtuned.com/

I can't comment on Sprint Booster, but I did have SSP and then the ECT "always on" mod before I went with OVTune and I can't recommend OVTune enough! It brings the truck alive and makes it fun to drive. I no longer feel like I'm fighting the dang trasnmission (especially on the freeway above 55 MPH). Not only that, it smoothings things out and people are even reporting a slight MGP increase.

The main thing to consider is that OVTune is not simply changing one or two things like the shift point like SSP does. Instead, it looks at everything (speed, throttle, load, temps, a/f ratios, etc) and then optimizes it based on the gas you're putting into it (87 or 91). Plus, the tune isn't just remapping the ECU, it also remaps the TCU to match the new ECU tune.

Prior to the Taco, we had a Mazda CX-9 that was about the same size and weight as the Taco. That Mazda was incredibly easy and fun to drive and if it wasn't for the fact that I need something bigger to haul stuff, I would have passed on the Tacoma after the test drive. The ECT mod helped me from feeling regret for getting the Taco, but now the OVTune has now cast away any doubts I still had!

Best of all, the developer of our tune for the Taco is super awesome for our community. He actually bought himself a 3g Taco so he could really keep up with the development. When he puts out an update, it's free for you to download and re-flash it. You can't beat a great product with great customer support.

Pedal commander is another good option runs well plug and play piggy back style

I had the PC, then got shift sense. I found the PC was not needed, shift sense works well without PC. Shift sense is so much better than the stock setup. I have since sold my PC. Will prob do OVT once it is opened back up.

What do you all recommend?? And can you send me the link to the sprint booster and the trans shift thing please can someone help or send me the brands and stuff and website and I will look it up

Ive owned both the SSP and OVTune and OVTune blows SSP out of the water. Hands down best mod Ive done for the truck and Im very happy with my performance. I vote save the cash and put towards ovtune

Recently got OVTUNE done. The latest update is 2.0 I got this flash tune w/ 87oct, 35s, stock gears! I used pedal commander in my 5th gen 4runner before that no real performance. Hands downs.

Thumbs up to ovtune. Got this done 2 weeks ago in my 3GT OR. No gear hunting, better shift points, it knows how shift better, so that means better acceleration, got an improved mpg gains from 13.5 to a good solid 16mpg already filled two tanks. So yes u got better mpg, acceleration, and shifting.

If u did 91oct tune 2.0 all above stated plus u gain HP with using 91+ oct fuel. This Tune will help fuel and ignition part of the flash.

OVT tuning greatly improved engine performance in HP/Torque.
But the OEM trans is still a real PITA. The Toyota throttle hang on my 3.5L is ALSO horrible!
I added the SSP to the OVT 2.0 (93 octane) tune but it did nothing for the throttle hang, which also hurts any shifting sequence.

So I will try the Sprint Booster and see if it can be adjusted to FINALLY get this truck to drive like it should have when I bought it, Back in 2017!

Back