• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Oncoming vehicle warning

IDAHO1811

3️⃣ Silver
Reaction score
Two weeks ago I was in my 2018 Tacoma coming back to Boise from Bozeman Mt. Snow was upon us as we came thru Ennis,Mt. As I passed another oncoming vehicle my truck tried to brake and the dash was displaying some codes. I pulled over and tried to see what was showing in the instrument cluster. I looked and saw some Icons like two vehicles hitting head on. I turned off the engine to see if things would reset. Yep they did. Headed south again. 6 mile down the road I passed another oncoming vehicle and the truck dropped speed without my being able to do much. The same icon came up as it did the prior time. I did notice heavy break action this time. I pulled off at the next wide space near Macks Inn. My wife got out the Tacoma owners manual. We went through it and was not able to make out the small icons that showed on the instrument cluster. Finally, we called the dealership back in Boise (Peterson). A service lady asked us to describe to her just what we were doing when it occurred. After some back and forth on this phone she asked......are you traveling in snow??? I replied yes. She told my wife to go out to the front of the truck and wipe the snow off front oval Toyota emblem on the center of the grill. We did so.
She then said to start-up and let her know what showed on the instruments. ZIP!! Evidently there is an issue with the electronics inside the emblem.

I have been wondering if this can/should disabled??

thanks for posting this info. now I know to make sure the sensor in the grill is clear if I ever get a weird display.

Upvote 0
You can go thru the settings on the dash and turn off the collision avoidance I do believe. I have had a leaf get caught on my sensor. The only thing it did was turn the collision avoidance off until I stopped and the leaf fell off.

Upvote 0
I understand they now will install a larger emblem with wires in and out. I checked with the service @ the dealership.

Upvote 0
I know there is a campaign for adding a peice of foam on top but they didn't replace the emblem.

Upvote 0
Back