• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

On-Board Air-- Add Reservoir Tank?

CalifExplorer

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Website
www.wilmatthewsphoto.com
2016 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Magnetic Gray
I'm looking at adding an on-board air system, wired in via accessory fuse block and done up proper. I can also see the benefit of having compressed air available for a bunch of reasons. Anyone add a air tank to their system? Location? Problems?

I run a Viair compressor mounted just behind the grill on the core support (its nice and compact). Ran it to my auxiliary battery via a switch (in the engine bay) and relay. Don't have a tank, though It would be nice. If and when I do, I'll likely mount it under the bed and relocate the compressor to avoid having to run too much air line.

I went with the Expedition Essentials ARB dual compressor bed mount kit. You can also run it with extended / remote air quick disconnect so you don't have to open the panel to use the compressor, just plug into wherever you mount your quick disconnect. I too have been considering adding a tank to this system and since I'll be running my full spare in the truck bed itself, I may just fit a tank to the original spare location... so long as it sits higher so all my skids can protect it. Subbing to this thread for tank recommendations.... good luck!

I'm looking at adding an on-board air system, wired in via accessory fuse block and done up proper. I can also see the benefit of having compressed air available for a bunch of reasons. Anyone add a air tank to their system? Location? Problems?
I also have a 2.5 gallon air tank as well, I’ll throw it in for cost of shipping

I’m also debating which to use. I have both a Single ARB compressor and a VIAIR COnstant Duty Kit with the 2.5 Tank. THe ARB would be simple and take up little space but I think a TANK system could be useful. BUt I honestly would only use it to Re-Fill tires and Bike Tires and RIver TubeS

Pardon my ignorance but has does a small tank help? They usually aren't big enough to fill one tire so doesn't the pump have to run pretty much all the time anyway?

Pardon my ignorance but has does a small tank help? They usually aren't big enough to fill one tire so doesn't the pump have to run pretty much all the time anyway?

Because you can get a BURST of air rather than just a constant air flow. SO if I were to attaché a BLOWER attachment to the air hose I can shoot out a blast of air to clear a hose or something. Also my mountain bike has tubeless tires and when I switch them out You need a blast of air to re-inflate them. To set the bead.

Because you can get a BURST of air rather than just a constant air flow. SO if I were to attaché a BLOWER attachment to the air hose I can shoot out a blast of air to clear a hose or something. Also my mountain bike has tubeless tires and when I switch them out You need a blast of air to re-inflate them. To set the bead.
Got it. Thanks.

Anyone know where a 2.5 gal tank would fit on a Tacoma? There seems like a lot of dead space underneath by the frame rails. Or between the bed and the bed sides.

I use CO2 now and the speed is unbeatable, but a compressor would be more convenient.

-M

Anyone know where a 2.5 gal tank would fit on a Tacoma? There seems like a lot of dead space underneath by the frame rails. Or between the bed and the bed sides.

I use CO2 now and the speed is unbeatable, but a compressor would be more convenient.

-M
Im planning on stuffing a 2.5" gal tank inbetween the front diff above the front skid plate (yes its protected since it sits higher up above the skid by a few inches, no change of puncture). You'll have to get creative with where they can go, but on the inside of the frame rails theres plenty of room, or in the rear by your spare tire theres plenty of room as well!

Im planning on stuffing a 2.5" gal tank inbetween the front diff above the front skid plate (yes its protected since it sits higher up above the skid by a few inches, no change of puncture). You'll have to get creative with where they can go, but on the inside of the frame rails theres plenty of room, or in the rear by your spare tire theres plenty of room as well!
My tank is mounted in a similar spot, right behind the winch in my case.

Back