• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Ome 886?

Manbun525

4️⃣ Gold
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Inferno
Hey I ordered 886 coils, they came, right invoice, right box, but the white tag sticker on the coils say 889X...?! Should I just return and re order to make sure they are correct, I mean they look like 886 coils but don’t they all look the same hahah.

Thanks

I would definitely make a phone call before installing. Pretty sure they should say the correct number on them. They may be superceded by a new model, but who knows, you may have Land Cruiser coils?‍♂️.

Hey I ordered 886 coils, they came, right invoice, right box, but the white tag sticker on the coils say 889X...?! Should I just return and re order to make sure they are correct, I mean they look like 886 coils but don’t they all look the same hahah.

Thanks
What ever ended up happening? And curious what shocks are you installing them on?

What ever ended up happening? And curious what shocks are you installing them on?

I just exchanged them to be sure, plus if I ever was to sell them, the buyer most likely wouldn’t believe they are 886s with a 889 sticker also. The new ones came, correct sticker etc, didn’t install them yet but I’m just gonna throw them on my 5100s, I talked around and most shops and companies agree it will be fine, also I don’t do crazy off roading so I’m not too worried about them blowing the shocks out or anything.

I currently have the 888 which are super squishy, so I’ll update how “stiff” the 886 are once on and tested, also no bumper or winch, but plan at least a bumper down the road.

I just exchanged them to be sure, plus if I ever was to sell them, the buyer most likely wouldn’t believe they are 886s with a 889 sticker also. The new ones came, correct sticker etc, didn’t install them yet but I’m just gonna throw them on my 5100s, I talked around and most shops and companies agree it will be fine, also I don’t do crazy off roading so I’m not too worried about them blowing the shocks out or anything.

I currently have the 888 which are super squishy, so I’ll update how “stiff” the 886 are once on and tested, also no bumper or winch, but plan at least a bumper down the road.
Oh okay. Nice I may have to pick up a set of 886s then. My bumper will be here in a few weeks so I want to be ready

Glad they got it sorted for you. I remember discussing what springs you should upgrade to. I'm looking forward to your before and after photos. I really hope the 886 provide the height you are looking for.

Just put the 886s on the 5100s, did slight driving as need an alignment tomorrow but so far they feel great, I tried swerving and hitting a few bumps and they feel perfectly normal, not stiff at all and this is no bumper or winch. After alignment I’ll drive more and re mearsure but it seems right now I got the lift I was looking for, maybe a tad more but I don’t think it’s a problem. Before the 888 plus 1/2 driver 1/4 plate passenger was too low and very squishy, bumps compressed the hell outta the coils. To fully clear with 33s I ran 888 with 1” driver 1/2 pass, this was tooo much lift, uca ball joint hit coils on full droop and cv angles were worse plus smalllll vibs.

So I dropped the 886 with 1/4 driver and nothing on pass and it’s about right in the middle of those two except it doesn’t compress like crazy on bumps but also does not recoil heavily since they are stiffer. And if/when I get a bumper I should be good to go.

Lastly I removed and replaced my coils all by myself, no compressor... I used the floor jack method and the weight of the truck. First time I attempted this, again all by myself and it went fairly smooth and easy.

Just put the 886s on the 5100s, did slight driving as need an alignment tomorrow but so far they feel great, I tried swerving and hitting a few bumps and they feel perfectly normal, not stiff at all and this is no bumper or winch. After alignment I’ll drive more and re mearsure but it seems right now I got the lift I was looking for, maybe a tad more but I don’t think it’s a problem. Before the 888 plus 1/2 driver 1/4 plate passenger was too low and very squishy, bumps compressed the hell outta the coils. To fully clear with 33s I ran 888 with 1” driver 1/2 pass, this was tooo much lift, uca ball joint hit coils on full droop and cv angles were worse plus smalllll vibs.

So I dropped the 886 with 1/4 driver and nothing on pass and it’s about right in the middle of those two except it doesn’t compress like crazy on bumps but also does not recoil heavily since they are stiffer. And if/when I get a bumper I should be good to go.

Lastly I removed and replaced my coils all by myself, no compressor... I used the floor jack method and the weight of the truck. First time I attempted this, again all by myself and it went fairly smooth and easy.
That’s awesome! Glad you got what you wanted and it’s cool you were able to install the coils on your own.

Do you have some after photos?

I

I assume you watched the same YouTube video I did haha. I was planning to use the same method when I install my lift. Truck looks great man!

i was told the 886 were not rated for the 5100s. Issues with stock failure. I'm stuck. Some people telling me to go 886 amd some 888. I'm getting my hybrid bumper soon and I habe no idea at this points which springs to go with

i was told the 886 were not rated for the 5100s. Issues with stock failure. I'm stuck. Some people telling me to go 886 amd some 888. I'm getting my hybrid bumper soon and I habe no idea at this points which springs to go with

Well if you want 888s mine are for sale haha, but I would def do 886, especially since you’ll have a bumper but yes the consensus on TW and HS say not to but other ppl and shops says it’s fine. I think Wheelers told me they put 886 on 5100s all day and have yet to hear of a problem. And to be honest I don’t think I’ve heard of anybody with a problem doing that, just ppl saying you shouldn’t do it. Lastly it depends on what you plan on doing, I could see the risk of blowing the shock out if you doing hard/ fast off roading but I won’t be.

Like @Manbun525 said, I’ve never heard of issues from guys with that setup.

I did the 886 and just have the ARB bumper - I do not feel like the ride is harsh! I am running the full Old Man Emu (OME) set up with the #650# rear leaf springs. The truck feels more firm and planted, not harsh or bumpy - On road I can say that it certainly feels more confident in cornering than it did previously. My impression of the stock suspension was too plush, more soft than firm.

E22480EF-AAB8-4B3C-88F5-70047E571CEB.jpeg

I put the 2886 on the 5100s, the ride is stiffer than stock but not bad. I love the height of the lift though.

Running the 886 coils with the OME nitro charge firm shocks. Also have a CBI winch bumper with hoop and warn 8000# winch. Love the ride on highway, off-road from rock to moguls And desert trails.

Running the 886 coils with the OME nitro charge firm shocks. Also have a CBI winch bumper with hoop and warn 8000# winch. Love the ride on highway, off-road from rock to moguls And desert trails.

Got a pic of ur truck?

E22480EF-AAB8-4B3C-88F5-70047E571CEB.jpeg

I put the 2886 on the 5100s, the ride is stiffer than stock but not bad. I love the height of the lift though.

Have you done a measurement from center hub to top of fender? I'm running 888's that I think sagged and am wonder what the 886's will put me at?

@Manbun525 How's it holding up? Any issues? I'm curious too because my 887 paired with 5100 sagged on me. How does it ride off-road? Has it sag on you and do you also have added weight as well?

Last edited:
@Manbun525 How's it holding up? Any issues? I'm curious too because my 887 paired with 5100 sagged on me. How does it ride off-road? Has it sag on you and do you also have added weight as well?
I'm curious as well.

I personally wouldn't recommend them without a bumper. It would be too much preload. It would give height but would cause premature wear on the strut from being over-extended. They probably don't recommend it because that extra 70lbs compared to the 887 pushes it further than spec. You could justify it by hoping they sag like the 887's, then it doesn't seem like it would be as bad of an issue.

Last edited:
How is it too much preload when you just leave the setting at zero? My theory is over time the 886 will break in so it'll provide a better driving experience? Experts and individuals with this set up please share us your experience.

How is it too much preload when you just leave the setting at zero? My theory is over time the 886 will break in so it'll provide a better driving experience? Experts and individuals with this set up please share us your experience.
Shocks have specifications where they have a range they should be in under normal use.

Factory shocks used a spring shorter than OME coils.

• OME 883: 375mm in height, 590 pound spring rate
  • OME 884: 390mm in height 590 pound spring rate
  • OME 885: 395mm in height 590 pound spring rate
  • OME 886: 402mm in height 660 pound spring rate
  • OME 887: 400mm in height 590 pound spring rate
  • OME 888: 405 mm in height 590 pound spring rate
Let's just say the factory spring is 312mm with 700 pound spring rate. Just making that number up and guesstimating from what I've come across. Saying that the shock was designed to this spring. The shock will have an acceptable range of normal use. Compressing further than that range would cause it to wear fast or explode. Over extending it would make it lose it's pressure over time. Thing of a rubber band and it losing it's tenseness. It wears out.

5100 wasn't designed to accommodate a 402mm coil with 660lbs spring rate under normal use. It would be over-extended when not on the vehicle or without enough weight.
But an 887 coil that's a sliver shorter and lesser spring rate keeps it in that acceptable range.

When you place the coil on the shock, it need compressed to assemble. That height and outward force is probably more than Bilstein wants/recommends at a resting state. The piston inside works as a stop to the shock body. Just because it's metal doesn't make it undestroyable. At some point it would break off. Saying it's a crazy amount of force. With it being a lower end shock, It's not a crazy strong body that was CNC'd from one piece. At some spot on the shock body, it's welded shut. They probably consider a breaking point for that weld with a fault tolerance and heavy use. Think of it as a whole from an engineering and liability aspect. Anywhere could be a point of failure. Also think about the bolt and threads. Threads have a clamp load limit. That also has a point of failure. Standards suggest it can only handle so much force. I'm sure it's a high number for the size of bolt/nut, but that's also a lot of force being compressed.

I'm sure other factors like weight would put it within acceptable range. The recommendation is a general statement assuming most people don't have extra weight, like bumper, winch, battery...

You see it go both ways. There are a number of people that did 886's with no bumper and have been fine. You see a few that have noticed worn down shocks. Most of the time they set a safe optimal range but will leave a variance (buffer). I'm just a beat the hell out of it person. So I stay within "ranges" or keep it "proper" to avoid warranty voids and have to think about it.

Back