• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Maintenance Oil change questions (kit/upgrade/wrench)

RevN3

7️⃣ Connoisseur
Rig of the Month (2x)
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Manual
Blazing Blue Pearl
Hello friends,

So, I got myself a new set of ARB skidplates and I figured I should change the oil before installing them. This will be my first time changing the oil on the truck and my first time with this paper filter thing instead of a normal canister filter. So I have some questions:

1. So it looks like I'm going to have to buy one of those single purpose oil wrenches. $24 seems stupid expensive for what it is, any other options?
2. I've seen regular canister filters for sale for our trucks. Can I upgrade/crossgrade to a proper canister filter and dump all this paper filter and special wrench process?
3. For oil I'm looking at 6.2 quarts of 0w-20 (standard), anyone running anything different?

Thanks!

This just an info what I do. Not telling you what you should do. so here:

1. $24 it’s a tool that you’ll keep for ever. Will always have it and never have to borrow one or buy one later. I bought mine on amazon for $20
2. I use oem oil filters, Toyota brand. I buy from my local dealership, if ur Costco member u can download a 15% coupon here a link if this helps
3. I use standard oil synthetic mobile1 I don’t have a modded engine.

Upvote 0
So, just to follow up on this: I bought the dumb wrench. I bought the dumb filter and I stuck with the same oil type. Turns out my '08 Sienna uses the same filter and wrench.

And let me just say, I hate this paper filter system. I've been changing the oil in all my vehicles (except the Taco and Sienna) since 1993 and I have never had more of a pain in the ass doing the job than I dealt with today. And the mess! Oil everywhere with these stupid things. I think this is the thing I now hate the most about my Taco. Thankfully I won't need to do that again for another 10k miles. I might just give up and let the dealer do it.

Upvote 0
I know you have the wrench, but you can buy each separately and they are available on Amazon. The hose adapter specifically makes things way cleaner. The funnel is a really nice touch though.

Upvote 0
Back