• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

OEM leaf springs starting to frown

datmoffbry

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2020 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Magnetic Gray
35A66D20-FA60-4461-95BA-80EA7F192E62.jpeg
F0C0322B-C638-4E0D-975E-A10DEA00743B.jpeg
Hey guys so I’m finally getting myself some real reinforcement for my suspension but I’m not sure what to do about my rear shocks. To give you a better idea about the weight of my truck, I have a 2020 long bed TRD Off-Road with a 4 man tent, upTOP mid height bed rack, Bedslide 1500 Contractor, and full size 33” spare under the bed. The truck is sitting on 17” 701 Methods wrapped in Falken Wildpeaks 285/70/17R with a Nitro leveling kit, 3 inches in the front and 1 inch in the back. This is my daily driver, I only drive 5 miles to work and back home but this is more of a weekend road trip vehicle. I really like the Deaver Expedition Stage 3 Leaf springs BUT my suspension guy is telling me I’m also going to need to replace my rear shocks due to the 2” lift. Anybody got any solid recommendations for rear shocks that will pair with Deavers Expedition Stage 3 leaf springs? I’m not trying to spend too much money but at the same time I am a believer in “buy once, cry once”. Thank you in advance!

I run the stage 3's in the rear and theyre amazing, I have king shocks but really any 2.5 body sized shock will do you good back there. I swear by the compression adjusters too.
Thank you! I hope I can afford Kings because if I can get a good deal on Kings with the compression adjusters that’s going to be the way to go! I just have a feeling I’m not going to be able to afford the Kings. Much appreciated!

35A66D20-FA60-4461-95BA-80EA7F192E62.jpeg
F0C0322B-C638-4E0D-975E-A10DEA00743B.jpeg
Hey guys so I’m finally getting myself some real reinforcement for my suspension but I’m not sure what to do about my rear shocks. To give you a better idea about the weight of my truck, I have a 2020 long bed TRD Off-Road with a 4 man tent, upTOP mid height bed rack, Bedslide 1500 Contractor, and full size 33” spare under the bed. The truck is sitting on 17” 701 Methods wrapped in Falken Wildpeaks 285/70/17R with a Nitro leveling kit, 3 inches in the front and 1 inch in the back. This is my daily driver, I only drive 5 miles to work and back home but this is more of a weekend road trip vehicle. I really like the Deaver Expedition Stage 3 Leaf springs BUT my suspension guy is telling me I’m also going to need to replace my rear shocks due to the 2” lift. Anybody got any solid recommendations for rear shocks that will pair with Deavers Expedition Stage 3 leaf springs? I’m not trying to spend too much money but at the same time I am a believer in “buy once, cry once”. Thank you in advance!
I'm at 6200lbs and I'm running ICON RXT leaf pack paired with ICON 2.0in w/ resi and 4.25in durobumps.
IMG_20210202_225549_386.jpg

Man that’s impressive. Thanks buddy I appreciate the info! Might have to check out that set up
I beat my rig up on a regular basis. I don't have the adjusters, so I can't give you feedback on those. But I can assure you I'm doing just fine without them. Just be sure to get the reservoir option.

I love how the ICON Suspension is valved digressively, while KING and FOX are more linear and progressive. They all have their pros and cons, but at the end of the day it's personal preference on what you like. Best way to find out what you want is to drive trucks with different setups. Just keep in mind each brand will be valved differently

I beat my rig up on a regular basis. I don't have the adjusters, so I can't give you feedback on those. But I can assure you I'm doing just fine without them. Just be sure to get the reservoir option.

I love how the ICON Suspension is valved digressively, while KING and FOX are more linear and progressive. They all have their pros and cons, but at the end of the day it's personal preference on what you like. Best way to find out what you want is to drive trucks with different setups. Just keep in mind each brand will be valved differently
Thank you man I really appreciate the feedback. I’m researching all of Shock Surplus’ YouTube videos and they’re doing an awesome job of breaking it down for me so I don’t ask my wheel and suspension guy any stupid questions haha

Alright fellas now I know it might not be the sexiest set up BUT I think I might roll with this set up and also try to aim for upgrading the front as well! When I say try, I mean try and do the install myself to save some bucks and learn a thing or two in the process. Let me know what you think!

Thank you! I hope I can afford Kings because if I can get a good deal on Kings with the compression adjusters that’s going to be the way to go! I just have a feeling I’m not going to be able to afford the Kings. Much appreciated!
I'm pretty happy with my eibachs. They aren't too fancy..
No adjuster and no res.
I haven't noticed any shock fade and I like the ride.
When you replace shocks on the tacoma I think the new ones are pretty close in size to the original.
Unless you are doing blocks for a rear lift, the shock still needs to be the same size as original to compress all the way and not bottom out.
Tbh, I don't know why you couldn't run the stock shocks for now.
Unless you replace the upper shock mount, the shock can only be so long and will always limit rear travel. I might go for a big shock upgrade down the road, but only after I relocate the top shock mount and get long travel shocks.
One more vote for icon rear springs, really like mine.

Last edited:
I'm pretty happy with my eibachs. They aren't too fancy..
No adjuster and no res.
I haven't noticed any shock fade and I like the ride.
When you replace shocks on the tacoma I think the new ones are pretty close in size to the original.
Unless you are doing blocks for a rear lift, the shock still needs to be the same size as original to compress all the way and not bottom out.
Tbh, I don't know why you couldn't run the stock shocks for now.
Unless you replace the upper shock mount, the shock can only be so long and will always limit rear travel. I might go for a big shock upgrade down the road, but only after I relocate the top shock mount and get long travel shocks.
One more vote for icon rear springs, really like mine.
Thanks for the feedback buddy I appreciate it. Honestly I was hoping I could get away with using the stock shocks but my suspension guy told me the stock shocks would be maxed out with the Deavers and said I could replace the shocks or use shock expendors. Decided on the bilstein set up mainly because of the price. It’s the most bang for the buck IMO

Welp.. I changed my mind and I’mgoing to roll with Old Man Emu BP-51’s. I know it’s not quite a “budget” build but I want to make sure I get the right set up. I still plan on pairing these shocks with Deavers leaf springs. I didn’t buy the full kit, I just bought the front and rear shocks assembled with mounting brackets and the Deaver leaf springs separate. If anyone who has experience with or knowledge of OME I would really appreciate your feedback! How are you liking your OME/Deaver set up so far? Do I have everything I need to install this set up myself or am I going to have to buy other things like new U-bolts, bushings or anything like that. Thanks in advance!

The 6112/5160 combo and Icon RXT is super super nice for the price. We installed this set up on a 2020 Tacoma the other week!

As for springs, I highly recommend the Icons. 3 in 1 means you can just add a leaf or take one out if your uses change and you don’t have to dish out another $700 for a different pack.

We’ve got a ton of those in stock.

Let me know if we can help in anyway. We offer 10% off for T3G members :)

www.neo-garage.com

The 6112/5160 combo and Icon RXT is super super nice for the price. We installed this set up on a 2020 Tacoma the other week!

As for springs, I highly recommend the Icons. 3 in 1 means you can just add a leaf or take one out if your uses change and you don’t have to dish out another $700 for a different pack.

We’ve got a ton of those in stock.

Let me know if we can help in anyway. We offer 10% off for T3G members :)

www.neo-garage.com
I already purchased my set up but I definitely appreciate the offer! If anything happens with my set up I will most definitely keep this in mind!

Back