• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Noises from the front end.

Taco_primo

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
2017 TRD OR AC Auto
White
So I started noticing some good clunking noises when turning my wheels and mostly at low speed. The sound seemed to get worse while reversing. I read on TW that other people had this issue but I never got an answer what so ever, it was all over the place. So I did I little digging. I run and aluminum RCI skid plate and I also run diff drop spacers. So I removed my skid plate to get a better look and make sure everything was good and tight. I had my wife turn the steering wheel and miraculously there was no sound anymore......so I reinstalled the skid plate and went about my day pretty happy. Now fast forward to 3 weeks later and I started to hear the noise again and it was worse, this weekend I took off my skid plate and noticed some rubbing marks this time. I decided to add a small spacer (1/8” I think”) between the plate and the mounting surface, reinstalled and the noises were gone. It’s only been like 5 days so, here’s to hoping that it will not come back.

Is it the sway bar? After my lift the sway bar spacers somehow pushed the sway bar into the skid. Was getting a clunking too. Solution was to take the sway off

Upvote 0
Is it the sway bar? After my lift the sway bar spacers somehow pushed the sway bar into the skid. Was getting a clunking too. Solution was to take the sway off
No it was not the sway bar, the plate was rubbing up against my diff because the drop spacers.

Upvote 0
Does your tire rub the UCA by chance? I was having a similar problem and found the solution this way.

Upvote 0
Back