• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Noah's Stupid Truck

no spacers. No nothing. This is my front Drive shaft angle. Kicker is that it was 3.2 about 2 weeks ago....
Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 8.30.49 PM.png

Been a while..
life's been busy, just like everyone else. good Christmas and new year. Stayed home and did projects instead of traveling to see family. I installed a half bath in the laundry room downstairs and built a craft desk for the wife. Was back to school today in order to prep for the onslaught of pathogens tomorrow. As for my truck, a few key developments: I put a Tom Wood shaft on it, which completely eliminated the wobble and vibe ive been chasing for over a year. Then I installed the sliders ive had since march...I sold the idea to the wife by explaining them as steps. She loves them now but cant quite grasp why I got rid of the original ones that came on the truck. Lastly, I stopped at Bruce's Speed Shop in Rockaway NJ this afternoon to put a deposit on a Maggie. Under his (Bruces) advice, im doing one thing at a time but im heavily considering 4.56 gears and Torsen diffs front and rear to really round out the towing capability I intend for it to have this summer. we plan to tow the camper from NJ to Fairplay, Colorado for 4 weeks. its about two miles in elevation gain to get there and I have no intention of buying a half ton truck. if I could even find one to buy.. So if you've read all this you are up to speed with my truck for some reason. Thanks for your time. Have a great day.

Attachments

• tempImageGLvuHv.png
    tempImageGLvuHv.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 85
  • tempImagegD3vwv.png
    tempImagegD3vwv.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 84
Hey man this sounds epic! Trailer looks great. Is that trailer good for a family? Looking to get something for more travel with the kids.
Any advice for travel trailers appreciated. Cheers.

Hey man this sounds epic! Trailer looks great. Is that trailer good for a family? Looking to get something for more travel with the kids.
Any advice for travel trailers appreciated. Cheers.
We opted for the king size bed. I think there might be one with a smaller bed and a couple bunks that would be good for a family, but it’ll be tight. The truck does OK towing it but I’ll be investing in a supercharger and 4.56 gears before a trip west in August. Check out the Winnebago website for details on models. We have a micro Minnie and really enjoy it.

Good morning... Its a rainy, shit, January day here in NJ. School called a half day tho, so my complaints have been assuaged for the time being. Im here today to inquire about any experience you folks may have had or heard about when deciding on a re-gear. I will have a manguson installed in a couple weeks and toy around with what I can do with it to get the best out of it without breaking anything. Im also going to change gears to either 4.88's or 5.29's. Factors being:
I tow a camper that's at the high end of what our trucks are rated to pull.
I have 265's and will likely upgrade to 285/70/17's when the tires I'm on die..
I wheel in rocky places that demand a bit of grunt,
I have a 26.4 mile commute each way that's all highway. 5days/week
I don't drive over 70, basically ever.
I have a cap, sliders, steel skid, drawers with recovery kit and tools and I pull a utility trailer loaded with lumber 4-5 times a year.
single piece Tom Woods Shaft.

Ive been leaning 488, but yesterday I found several threads lauding the 529's as reasonable when taking the high ratio of the tranny into consideration

After looking at a bunch of apples to apples comparisons of different tacoma iterations, I decided it might be more useful to compare an orange. The tranny and diff on the left is that of a 2020 ranger. If I use 529's The top end rpm's will be almost identical at 75mpg.. to me that suggests that I should get 529's. Am I missing anything? would the addition of a supercharger into the equation suggest the lower range not as necessary or beneficial? Im waffling and need some input. any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Noah

***EDIT***
Eaton True Track not compatible with 5.29's, so you can all calm down.
Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 8.53.10 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 8.53.46 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 8.54.00 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 8.53.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 8.53.27 AM.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Simple and a very nice set-up…. Enjoy the MODS….a never ending thing on the Tacomas….
Aloha

Finally got a real spring pack. Ride is night and day better. The new ones are from ATS Springs in Souderton, PA. Super helpful. These are their 4x1 pack. I believe Bob Jr said they are a HD version of the 4x1 pack on their website. If you’re in the area, it’s well worth the drive for the savings you get at $450 for both sides. HHers next. Should be here by the end of the month.
This is a complete spring pack that replaces the AAL? Did you gain height?

Back