• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

No second key from dealer--New delivery today--Mfgr short on keys

Happy Trails II

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2021 SR DCSB Auto
White
I asked this question in Intro Forum, but I thought I would get more help here.

So... I knew the auto industry was having trouble with microchip supplies. When I got the new truck home and looked in the package of manuals etc which also contained the "second" key here his what I found: An access key. Not the programmed entry/engine start key. Just a cut key to access the door locks and steering column lock. But will not operate any systems and will not start the engine. A note was attached to it from the manufacturer explaining that a shortage of electronic parts from the supplier left them unable to supply me a second key. And they will resolve this with me "later".

So....if the key fails or I loose it I am screwed. Truck will have to be towed to a dealer.

Has anyone heard of this before?

Is there a workaround?

Any source for a programmable key?

Any advice?

1) no work around of which I'm aware.
2) had to order a new fob last year, and it took quite awhile even when the chip shortage wasn't a thing.
3) better keep a close eye on that single key.
4) You'll survive. 1st world problems.

What about an aftermarket system like Viper or something?

Do you have the smart key or H key?

Not the Smart Key. Just the programmable key.
I picked up this as a spare. Maybe your dealership would have one of these lying around?
TOY44H is the part number
No keyless entry but it's programmable it works as a spare. It's actually my main because I installed remote start making the other keyfob useless bulk.

Attachments

• 20210420_131437.jpg
    20210420_131437.jpg
    720.4 KB · Views: 45
I picked up this as a spare. Maybe your dealership would have one of these lying around?
TOY44H is the part number
No keyless entry but it's programmable it works as a spare. It's actually my main because I installed remote start making the other keyfob useless bulk.
OK, Space Trim. This might be the answer. But how did you program it to work for your particular vehicle. On my Liberty I needed TWO programmed keys to program a third. Hopefully the Toyota is different. Did you have the dealer program it, or did you program it?

The dealer programed it and I got it when I picked up the truck. You only need one. When I was selling cars we were making keys all the time for cars that were traded in with only one key. However if I got a Subaru trade in with one key, I would have to drive it to the local Subaru dealership to have the key made. The programing is brand specific. I think the 2 key thing only applies to older vehicles with off brand or diy programming. If you have access to the right equipment you only need one.

Back