• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Newbie wanting to Level Tacoma

nighthawktacoma

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2017 SR5 AC Auto
Magnetic Gray
Hey fellow tacoma enthusiasts!

I have a 17 tacoma sr5 with just over 65k miles (2wd pavement princess). Was what I was able to fit in my budget in my mid 20s at the time. I love it either way but I want to spruce it up a bit. I have beginner knowledge at the very most but not really at the same time. I am wanting to level my tacoma just a bit as to not go full on lift kit and also be leveled out. Mainly for aesthetics. Is my daily driver and do all street driving with the occasional gravel trail but no extreme off roading as its just a 2wd. What is the best leveling kit on the market? Interested in a 2/2.5 lift in front with a 1 inch lift/level in the back. I imagine doing this to a 2wd truck has to make it drive stiff and sway-ish like a boat. Drove a leveled tacoma once and it felt too rocky back and forth. Probably not done properly but could have been another issue or just not being used to the ride. I'm looking for tips and advice from the community. Things to consider which I'm sure I will create new threads for in the future: biggest tire size I could fit on a stock trd off road wheel (someone else's take offs) after the level kit without cutting/trimming (refer to pic attached for wheel); will I need to do anything to the shocks/suspension so after the leveling it does not sway like a boat in my lane? I have a somewhat open budget as i want to do this once and do it right. I see "leveling kits" online for 50 or so bucks (rough country, etc) and then i see a more extensive kit that may run a couple grand. What is the difference in the 2 and which way should I go? Looking to accomplish this in the next few months before i need to get new tires anyways, wanting to get it all done at once. All help and responses welcome and appreciated!
20210114_010105.jpg

honestly speaking. if you just want to level it out. go with just a front leveling kit. it will look nice and you can fit a 32 inch tire and it shouldn't rub hopefully. there isn't much to it as far as installing and you can manage that in a couple of hours.

Bilstein 5100
ok so ive done some reading and hear great things about the bilsteins. have a lil knowledge on them as well, familiar with them at least. bilstein for the shocks/suspension, how about the leveling kit itself? any suggestions? or is this bilstein 5100 a full kit with shocks and the level itself? sorry if this sounds extremely rookie-ish lol

You use your stock springs and the Bilstein shocks. The front shocks are adjustable to whatever height you want to level it. You don't have to do anything in the rear unless you want to. Very simple. Unless you work at a tire shop you're going to have to get the springs and shocks put together by a professional because you can't just do it in your garage. Make sure you get a good alignment after everything is installed and you're happy with it.

Back