• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

New Wheels/tires and a Leveling kit

Meerlreem

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2021 SR DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
I need help. I have a 2021 SR 4WD. With shitty steel wheels and firestone P245/75R16. I want to level my truck 3 inches so that I can fit bigger tires. I am looking to get some BFGoodrich KO2s and thinking of 285/75 R16s. And for wheels the Dx4 Terrain 16in. Are there any good leveling kits that you guys can recommend? I am trying to keep this all under $3000 if I can. Do you guys think that sizing is right and is there any extra things I need to complete this project?

Entry level Bilstein shocks could get you there with a 1" block in the rear for relatively cheap (~$700). I found my Toytec Coilovers second hand for less than that. People sell their lifts when they go bigger or more expensive, just gotta be ready to buy when they come available.

Also keep in mind, your TPMS will not be able to moved over due to them being steel wheel specific. You could also find a set of OR wheels on marketplace for fairly cheap as well.

IIRC 285's will require a CMC (cab mount chop). KO2's are nice! Definitely shop around for tires, I found mine at Plaza Tire here where I live for $1005 out the door installed. KO2's were a little more expensive than my Wildpeaks.

Is there a specific reason you want K02's? Those are a pretty ancient design by now and not very amazing at anything except riding rough. You would likely be much happier off with some Nittos, Falkens, or Coopers.

The wheel choice isn't bad, they work well on these trucks. Something in the 0 to -10 offset range will look great and be fairly easy to fit. Don't go with anything with a positive offset to avoid rubbing on internal components. I'm not big on the faux beadlock though and think the OEM TRD style looks a lot cleaner. There's a few different options but these are nice if you're open to going with 17". I think there are some 16's available as well but I can't remember who makes them. The new Tacoma trail edition wheels look pretty cool too.

The cheapest and most cost-effective suspension lift on these will be Bilstein 5100 shocks. They can be had for about $400 if you do the install yourself (not hard but need extra beefy spring compressors). I don't like that they have to be disassembled in order to adjust height, though. The cheapest proper coilover setup I'd recommend would be the Eibach Pro Stage 2. They are sprung and valved much nicer than their Stage 1 kit for not much more. You also might gain a little bit of height swapping in a set of Off-Road take-off's. Can usually find them fully assembled with <2k miles for ~$300. They ride fantastic.

Depending on how much you want to lift and your wheel offset you may also need to look into changing out the upper control arms to some that support higher caster so you don't rub all over the place. The JBA's are a pretty hard value to beat and offer lifetime warranty, rebuild kits and everything is greaseable.

There is so much to look into regarding lifting these things and options available for just about anything you'd want to do, just will set you back some $ for anything medium to high end. My setup is fantastic but it definitely cannot be had for $3k lol.

Entry level Bilstein shocks could get you there with a 1" block in the rear for relatively cheap (~$700). I found my Toytec Coilovers second hand for less than that. People sell their lifts when they go bigger or more expensive, just gotta be ready to buy when they come available.

Also keep in mind, your TPMS will not be able to moved over due to them being steel wheel specific. You could also find a set of OR wheels on marketplace for fairly cheap as well.

IIRC 285's will require a CMC (cab mount chop). KO2's are nice! Definitely shop around for tires, I found mine at Plaza Tire here where I live for $1005 out the door installed. KO2's were a little more expensive than my Wildpeaks.

Bilstein won't do it. 5100's with 888's will only get 2.5" then sag. They always sag.
Even with the 6112, I think it's 2.5". I don't think I really got much with the 650lb springs.

A lot of good things about Dobinsons. Might be the most economical 3".

Is there a specific reason you want K02's? Those are a pretty ancient design by now and not very amazing at anything except riding rough. You would likely be much happier off with some Nittos, Falkens, or Coopers.

The wheel choice isn't bad, they work well on these trucks. Something in the 0 to -10 offset range will look great and be fairly easy to fit. Don't go with anything with a positive offset to avoid rubbing on internal components. I'm not big on the faux beadlock though and think the OEM TRD style looks a lot cleaner. There's a few different options but these are nice if you're open to going with 17". I think there are some 16's available as well but I can't remember who makes them. The new Tacoma trail edition wheels look pretty cool too.

The cheapest and most cost-effective suspension lift on these will be Bilstein 5100 shocks. They can be had for about $400 if you do the install yourself (not hard but need extra beefy spring compressors). I don't like that they have to be disassembled in order to adjust height, though. The cheapest proper coilover setup I'd recommend would be the Eibach Pro Stage 2. They are sprung and valved much nicer than their Stage 1 kit for not much more. You also might gain a little bit of height swapping in a set of Off-Road take-off's. Can usually find them fully assembled with <2k miles for ~$300. They ride fantastic.

Depending on how much you want to lift and your wheel offset you may also need to look into changing out the upper control arms to some that support higher caster so you don't rub all over the place. The JBA's are a pretty hard value to beat and offer lifetime warranty, rebuild kits and everything is greaseable.

There is so much to look into regarding lifting these things and options available for just about anything you'd want to do, just will set you back some $ for anything medium to high end. My setup is fantastic but it definitely cannot be had for $3k lol.

Thanks for the info. I was looking at doing a 3 inch leveling kit like this.

Original link: https://www.amazon.com/STREET-DIRT-TRACK-Front-Leveling/dp/B07RDQQ63Z/ref=pd_ybh_a_sccl_2/130-5244603-4846508?pd_rd_w=nhPq0&content-id=amzn1.sym.67f8cf21-ade4-4299-b433-69e404eeecf1&pf_rd_p=67f8cf21-ade4-4299-b433-69e404eeecf1&pf_rd_r=6E6CG1MT6QP6DXBFBA7F&pd_rd_wg=9rgPi&pd_rd_r=e10c3afa-6b05-46fb-8d96-0c804f3e34c8&pd_rd_i=B07RHTRYLX&th=1

I'm not sure what these are called but they seem easier to install than the typical lift kit. As for now, I'm just trying to make my truck look better, ill probably get a lift kit in the future. but I want to raise my truck for bigger wheels. the KO2s and Dx4 combo I can get at a discount tire near where I live with tpms sensors which seems like it would make things easier. I'm going for the TRD OEM look tho I like those wheels better.

Original link: https://www.amazon.com/STREET-DIRT-TRACK-Front-Leveling/dp/B07RDQQ63Z/ref=pd_ybh_a_sccl_2/130-5244603-4846508?pd_rd_w=nhPq0&content-id=amzn1.sym.67f8cf21-ade4-4299-b433-69e404eeecf1&pf_rd_p=67f8cf21-ade4-4299-b433-69e404eeecf1&pf_rd_r=6E6CG1MT6QP6DXBFBA7F&pd_rd_wg=9rgPi&pd_rd_r=e10c3afa-6b05-46fb-8d96-0c804f3e34c8&pd_rd_i=B07RHTRYLX&th=1

I'm not sure what these are called but they seem easier to install than the typical lift kit. As for now, I'm just trying to make my truck look better, ill probably get a lift kit in the future. but I want to raise my truck for bigger wheels. the KO2s and Dx4 combo I can get at a discount tire near where I live with tpms sensors which seems like it would make things easier. I'm going for the TRD OEM look tho I like those wheels better.

I think that those three inch block lifts can run you into trouble up front (and in the rear, for different reasons).

Since you are not changing the overall excursion of your front shock, the spacer block can cause it to bind. I forget if you lose down travel or up, but my understanding is that you might not like the ride if you hit a big enough bump on the road (very jarring).

With the rear blocks, the taller they are there is increased risk of axle wrap.

I don’t run one (yet) but I’ve been researching the Westcott Designs spacer/preload combo lift kits, which are actually available for all different third gen trims not just the Pro’s (which surprised me). These will let you use your current OEM suspension but will safely give you lift without worrying about binding—if I understand their research/claims correctly.

Check out the site:

I think that those three inch block lifts can run you into trouble up front (and in the rear, for different reasons).

Since you are not changing the overall excursion of your front shock, the spacer block can cause it to bind. I forget if you lose down travel or up, but my understanding is that you might not like the ride if you hit a big enough bump on the road (very jarring).

With the rear blocks, the taller they are there is increased risk of axle wrap.

I don’t run one (yet) but I’ve been researching the Westcott Designs spacer/preload combo lift kits, which are actually available for all different third gen trims not just the Pro’s (which surprised me). These will let you use your current OEM suspension but will safely give you lift without worrying about binding—if I understand their research/claims correctly.

Check out the site:

They do make it sound and seem great. Probably pretty safe. But it's really more of a spacer at the bottom. It changes how the shocks function because they were not designed for that force. Imagine throwing a spacer on the height collar. You're just compressing the spring more and doing it within the shock. That places more outward force. It's basically a band-aid to squeeze a little more height without replacing the entire setup.

They do make it sound and seem great. Probably pretty safe. But it's really more of a spacer at the bottom. It changes how the shocks function because they were not designed for that force. Imagine throwing a spacer on the height collar. You're just compressing the spring more and doing it within the shock. That places more outward force. It's basically a band-aid to squeeze a little more height without replacing the entire setup.
I see I see. It seems like it’s similar to how the bilsteins have different notches for height and some struts have threads to adjust the preload collar. Although I wonder if Toyota engineers were planning on more preload being added to the coils when they designed the TRD pro shock…

I see I see. It seems like it’s similar to how the bilsteins have different notches for height and some struts have threads to adjust the preload collar. Although I wonder if Toyota engineers were planning on more preload being added to the coils when they designed the TRD pro shock…
Is there a new TRD Pro Shock? Last I heard they were Fox. I believe there is only one setting. Which is why Wescott gave into the collar option. Which would make it ride more stiff and give a little height. The ones sold separate at the dealer by Bilstein look to only have 2 height options. 1 for the driver side and 1 for the passenger side due to the lean. General guide to tire sizes on factory wheels. 25mm is 1".

1665357150023.png

1665357433636.png

Then the only other type is the ReadyLift taller tophat. I think it's no different than adding a spacer on top. They just made it into a solid piece.

1665357516336.png

1665357655559.png

1665357997891.png

Last edited:
Is there a new TRD Pro Shock? Last I heard they were Fox.
Ah no, mixed messages. I was referring to how the billstein shocks in your third to last image have those different rings towards the bottom. I thought those were to put the perch at different heights to change the preload/lift of the shock. Maybe it's just the struts with threaded shock bodies and the adjustable preload collar that I'm thinking of. To your point though, the Fox coilovers do not come from the factory to accept more preload.

Pic didn't load, but a 3" lift is a bad idea on these trucks. Also keep in mind that a 1.5" tophat spacer will give you 3" of lift.

Lifting too much on these trucks severely limits your downtravel and makes it ride and perform pretty terribly. I wouldn't go much above 1.5" total in your case if you're not wanting to change a ton of components, anything more and you'll put a lot of stress on your front suspension components and wear them very prematurely.

Is there a new TRD Pro Shock? Last I heard they were Fox. I believe there is only one setting. Which is why Wescott gave into the collar option. Which would make it ride more stiff and give a little height. The ones sold separate at the dealer by Bilstein look to only have 2 height options. 1 for the driver side and 1 for the passenger side due to the lean. General guide to tire sizes on factory wheels. 25mm is 1".

1665357150023.png

1665357433636.png

Then the only other type is the ReadyLift taller tophat. I think it's no different than adding a spacer on top. They just made it into a solid piece.

1665357516336.png

1665357655559.png

1665357997891.png
The Bilsteins in your pic are from the 2015 Tundra Pro's. The Taco's never got a 4-corner OEM reservoir option.

Thanks for the insight guys. I think I'm going to go away from the spacers and do a lift. I just don't wanna spend another $1000 on a lift. And my new tire/wheel setup is around $2500 which I think I need some sort of lift for so the tires will fit.

Thanks for the insight guys. I think I'm going to go away from the spacers and do a lift. I just don't wanna spend another $1000 on a lift. And my new tire/wheel setup is around $2500 which I think I need some sort of lift for so the tires will fit.
I saw a guy selling the same kit I have ( Toytec) on FB marketplace in a tacoma group. That would be a good place to watch as well, you might find a good deal locally.

Ah no, mixed messages. I was referring to how the billstein shocks in your third to last image have those different rings towards the bottom. I thought those were to put the perch at different heights to change the preload/lift of the shock. Maybe it's just the struts with threaded shock bodies and the adjustable preload collar that I'm thinking of. To your point though, the Fox coilovers do not come from the factory to accept more preload.
The third was just the 6112 with the ReadyLift.
The Bilsteins in your pic are from the 2015 Tundra Pro's. The Taco's never got a 4-corner OEM reservoir option.
Figured so.

Anyway of getting tire size for 20" rims on the chart above? Not a lot of info on this site on 20's.

Back