• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

New Truck Arrived

Freebird

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.venturerider.org
2022 TRD OR DCSB Auto
White
Well, I picked up my new 2022 TRD Off Road today. Nobody will know that I got a new truck because on the outside, it looks pretty much exactly like the '18 that I totaled. The difference is that this one has leather heated seats, moonroof, Apple Car Play and a lot more safety features. First thing I did when I got it home was add a couple of things that I had bought that I had on the old one. Black emblem covers, mud flaps, etc. I'll install the new tonneau cover tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_0360.jpeg
    IMG_0360.jpeg
    293.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0359.jpeg
    IMG_0359.jpeg
    306.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0362.jpeg
    IMG_0362.jpeg
    216.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0363.jpeg
    IMG_0363.jpeg
    308.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0364.jpeg
    IMG_0364.jpeg
    320.4 KB · Views: 68
White is where it’s at on these trucks!

Congratulations

My wife and I both just like white vehicles. I've been driving white for many years. She drives a white Camaro convertible and my work vehicle is a white Dodge Caravan.

I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Did NOT enjoy the buying experience though. Sales lady was very nice and it was a pleasant experience. The finance experience was a nightmare as always. First thing was me telling them about a thousand times that I wasn't interested in all the extras they tried pushing on me. Worse though was the actual financing. He put the papers in front of me and told me where to sign. I said, first you need to break down the numbers, interest rate, etc. He told me that the interest would be 5.9% and I had to tell him, No, actually it won't be. He said that it was the rate the bank had given him. I know better, I know that dealers typically make between and 1 and 3 percent on financing but I also knew that Toyota was offering 2.9%. I told him no thank you. I asked why he didn't go through Toyota and get me the 2.9 rate to which he replied it was only good on certain models. I said yes, and the Tacoma is one of those models. Then he said, well you have to be in the top tier credit bracket. I said, yes I know and I am. He looked like I had slapped him and told me that he would have to talk to his manager. I told him to do it quickly because my patience was wearing thin. He came back about 2 minutes later to tell that they I would get the 2.9 rate and the new papers were printing. What an ordeal. I wonder how many people just accept the financing offered and never know the difference.

I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Did NOT enjoy the buying experience though. Sales lady was very nice and it was a pleasant experience. The finance experience was a nightmare as always. First thing was me telling them about a thousand times that I wasn't interested in all the extras they tried pushing on me. Worse though was the actual financing. He put the papers in front of me and told me where to sign. I said, first you need to break down the numbers, interest rate, etc. He told me that the interest would be 5.9% and I had to tell him, No, actually it won't be. He said that it was the rate the bank had given him. I know better, I know that dealers typically make between and 1 and 3 percent on financing but I also knew that Toyota was offering 2.9%. I told him no thank you. I asked why he didn't go through Toyota and get me the 2.9 rate to which he replied it was only good on certain models. I said yes, and the Tacoma is one of those models. Then he said, well you have to be in the top tier credit bracket. I said, yes I know and I am. He looked like I had slapped him and told me that he would have to talk to his manager. I told him to do it quickly because my patience was wearing thin. He came back about 2 minutes later to tell that they I would get the 2.9 rate and the new papers were printing. What an ordeal. I wonder how many people just accept the financing offered and never know the difference.

I hate being “in the box” I’ve only met a few finance managers that were human

Well, I picked up my new 2022 TRD Off Road today. Nobody will know that I got a new truck because on the outside, it looks pretty much exactly like the '18 that I totaled. The difference is that this one has leather heated seats, moonroof, Apple Car Play and a lot more safety features. First thing I did when I got it home was add a couple of things that I had bought that I had on the old one. Black emblem covers, mud flaps, etc. I'll install the new tonneau cover tomorrow.
Nice Truck !

Yeah I did the same thing with a recent purchase. Yadda yadda extended warranty for a Toyota?!?

Yea, they tried selling me everything in the book. Pain protection, Tire and Wheel protection, extended warranty, something new that pays you if your truck is wrecked and repaired and covers the "diminished value", nitrogen in the tires, a couple more things. Thousands in extras. No thanks.

Then they tried to jack the interest rate 3% above Toyota's rate. I told him that I would just pay cash. He said if I did that, they would add $1,000.00 to the MSRP. I ended up getting the advertised rate and before I left, told him that they can't do anything about me paying it off next week if I want to. I know that here in Ohio, if you finance a vehicle and pay it off sooner than 6 months, they don't get their commission on the financing.

Paying cash would have been a little painful but I could have done it. Since I got the 2.9% rate, I probably won't now.

Yea, they tried selling me everything in the book. Pain protection, Tire and Wheel protection, extended warranty, something new that pays you if your truck is wrecked and repaired and covers the "diminished value", nitrogen in the tires, a couple more things. Thousands in extras. No thanks.

Then they tried to jack the interest rate 3% above Toyota's rate. I told him that I would just pay cash. He said if I did that, they would add $1,000.00 to the MSRP. I ended up getting the advertised rate and before I left, told him that they can't do anything about me paying it off next week if I want to. I know that here in Ohio, if you finance a vehicle and pay it off sooner than 6 months, they don't get their commission on the financing.

Paying cash would have been a little painful but I could have done it. Since I got the 2.9% rate, I probably won't now.
What was the sticker and what was it OTD?

I used to sell and I know we were never like that. There was holding points, but it was only done with sub-prime credit since they're main fixation was the monthly payment. But that's pretty messed up with with someone credit worthy.

The market is pretty wild though. I guess the shortages are still going. Seems like they'll take deposits on inbound vehicles to lock in sales. But the ones that show up are being marked up in certain areas and they are trying to force market/dealer adjustments. Luckily PA has been decent it seems.

Sticker was just over 45,500. I bought it for MSRP. I had put a 1,000 deposit on it even before it was incoming but they had a build date. It was $48,000 something after fees and taxes. I paid 27,000 down. Was prepared to pay it all if they hadn't backed off. My credit was certainly no issue.

Sticker was just over 45,500. I bought it for MSRP. I had put a 1,000 deposit on it even before it was incoming but they had a build date. It was $48,000 something after fees and taxes. I paid 27,000 down. Was prepared to pay it all if they hadn't backed off. My credit was certainly no issue.
I'm jealous of your power seat. Any other plans?

I feel your pain. I hate Car buying.
"What we did": Financed through our Bank. I let them know. We needed two Vehicles.
I locked in a 1.9 % personal Loan during the last week of January. Before the Rate Hikes. I found the New Tacoma I wanted. Placed the Deposit.
I got the Out the Door Price. Before setting foot in the Dealership. I Went in. Check in Hand. Drove out , 20 minutes later.
There were plenty of hiccups, before I left town. The Tacoma was Purchased through an "Out of State Dealer". Papers were drawn up, and my Bank had a Copy of everything. Before I left home. No further Crap. My Wife picked her Camry from the Dealer Allocation list. We put the Deposit down.
We took delivery around 7 weeks later.
The Bank based the Loan on the Combined MSRP of both Vehicles. Then , Using each of the Vehicles for Collateral. They Dispersed the funds at the point of each Delivery . Because of that. The Rate was already locked in. But. I only had to pay on the funds that were Dispersed. I even had to change the amount of the loan. The Camry. We purchased. Was a few thousand more. Than "our" Toyota Build and Price MSRP. That changed the Payment amount on the Camry. But they left the Rate locked in.
When I picked up the Tacoma. I Started paying on it the following Month. The Bank split the loan. I started paying on the Camry. A month after we picked it up. Same Rate . Both payments due on a date we agreed to prior. I'm two payments ahead on the Tacoma.
I paid Taxes, and Licenses out of pocket for both. I also paid MSRP for both. If it wasn't for the times we're living in. I wouldn't pay MSRP.

Last edited:
I'm jealous of your power seat. Any other plans?
Not much at this time. I've already put mud flaps on it. Also a BakFlip MX4 tonneau and the black out emblem covers. That's about it for now. I just noticed over the weekend that they no longer come with a CD player. Didn't use mine very often but will miss it from time to time.

I feel your pain. I hate Car buying.
"What we did": Financed through our Bank. I let them know. We needed two Vehicles.
I locked in a 1.9 % personal Loan during the last week of January. Before the Rate Hikes. I found the New Tacoma I wanted. Placed the Deposit.
I got the Out the Door Price. Before setting foot in the Dealership. I Went in. Check in Hand. Drove out , 20 minutes later.
There were plenty of hiccups, before I left town. The Tacoma was Purchased through an "Out of State Dealer". Papers were drawn up, and my Bank had a Copy of everything. Before I left home. No further Crap. My Wife picked her Camry from the Dealer Allocation list. We put the Deposit down.
We took delivery around 7 weeks later.
The Bank based the Loan on the Combined MSRP of both Vehicles. Then , Using each of the Vehicles for Collateral. They Dispersed the funds at the point of each Delivery . Because of that. The Rate was already locked in. But. I only had to pay on the funds that were Dispersed. I even had to change the amount of the loan. The Camry. We purchased. Was a few thousand more. Than "our" Toyota Build and Price MSRP. That changed the Payment amount on the Camry. But they left the Rate locked in.
When I picked up the Tacoma. I Started paying on it the following Month. The Bank split the loan. I started paying on the Camry. A month after we picked it up. Same Rate . Both payments due on a date we agreed to prior. I'm two payments ahead on the Tacoma.
I paid Taxes, and Licenses out of pocket for both. I also paid MSRP for both. If it wasn't for the times we're living in. I wouldn't pay MSRP.
I understand. This is the first time I've ever paid MSRP for a vehicle. I actually felt lucky to get it for MSRP. Many dealers were asking $1000.00 to $3,000.00 OVER MSRP.

Very nice truck! Ngl I wish I went with white sometimes, I see really badass builds! My dream is the Quicksand color but I really dig the white <3

I would like to add another observation. In order to get the leather seats, I had to go with a package that also included the moonroof. After placing my deposit, I read some of the messages here that said that head room with the moonroof was an issue for some people. I was a little worried after reading those posts. I will say that it turns out that it is not an issue for me. I'm 6'3 and have plenty of headroom. So don't just automatically think that head room is going to be a problem. I guess it depends on how you are built. I'm tall but a lot of my height is due to my long legs. I have about a 34" inseam. I have probable close to 4" of headroom which is plenty for me.

Lucky!!!!!!!! I wish I had a sunroof (or moon roof whatever same thing) so badly.....

I would like to add another observation. In order to get the leather seats, I had to go with a package that also included the moonroof. After placing my deposit, I read some of the messages here that said that head room with the moonroof was an issue for some people. I was a little worried after reading those posts. I will say that it turns out that it is not an issue for me. I'm 6'3 and have plenty of headroom. So don't just automatically think that head room is going to be a problem. I guess it depends on how you are built. I'm tall but a lot of my height is due to my long legs. I have about a 34" inseam. I have probable close to 4" of headroom which is plenty for me.
^^^ Agreed, I'm only 6'0", and I have to have the Seat Reclined back either two or three notches ,"don't remember". To keep my head clear of the Moon Roof. That's with the Rear of the Seat Base all the way down. I keep it that way. Because it forces my lower Back into the Lumbar Support, and offers some relief.
This is a Strange time to talk about them . I Know. But The Seat Heaters in the Leather Seats work pretty well. I took delivery on Feb. 1st. My Wife uses the passenger side quite a bit. When it's cold. I turned mine on a few times. I guess . I was Daydreaming about cooler weather LOL.

Last edited:
Back