• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

New to this stuff

Jag75

2️⃣ Bronze
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all , I just got a 21 TRD 4x4 . I've been researching a little bit on mods . Absolutely love this truck . I'm looking at the 2" OME kit medium load lift kit. I don't want to do any cutting or stuff like that . Am I better off going 32" tires then 33's. Also are there any benefits going with a 17 wheel instead of 16?

Thanks for your feedback.

You are going to have a hard time fitting 33s without some sort of front wheel well modification. Just remember that bigger tires equal more clearance. As far as 16in vs 17in rims, yes I said rims, I grew up during the 80s in Maine and we called “wheels” “rims”🤣, 16 inch rims will allow you a greater selection of tire sizes and those tires will be cheaper than tires for 17in rims. The tires for 16inch rims will, generally speaking, have a taller sidewall than 17in tires. Which is desirable for off-roading because it creates more protection than lower profile tires. All that being said, I have 17inch rims on my truck because I knew I was going to create something really heavy and I might upgrade my brakes to something larger and the 17 inch rim will help me fit those.

Last edited:
You are going to have a hard time fitting 33s without some sort of front wheel well modification. Just remember that bigger tires equal more clearance. As far as 16in vs 17in rims, yes I said rims, I grew up during the 80s in Maine and we called “wheels” “rims”🤣, 16 inch rims will allow you a greater selection of tire sizes and those tires will be cheaper than tires for 17in rims. The tires for 16inch rims will, generally speaking, have a taller sidewall than 17in tires. Which is desirable for off-roading because it creates more protection than lower profile tires. All that being said, I have 17inch rims on my truck because I knew I was going to create something really heavy and I might upgrade my brakes to something larger and the 17 inch rim will help me fit those.
Were in Maine? I was living on Orr’s Island during that timeframe.

Were in Maine? I was living on Orr’s Island during that timeframe.
I was a few counties over in a little town on the coast called Surry. If you aren’t familiar with Surry, it’s near Mount Desert Island.

I was a few counties over in a little town on the coast called Surry. If you aren’t familiar with Surry, it’s near Mount Desert Island.
North of Bald Rock Mt.

North of Bald Rock Mt.
I am not familiar with that place but here we are.

5579FCAB-CA5B-493F-8496-6C70A5E3EF76.png

16" vs 17", you can get more meat on 16" wheels if you care. I think it's preference. Little more room to air down.

Don't see too many people go with the OME kit. Mostly Bilsteins for the basic lift. Looks like that OME kit does have full leafs.
Just pay attention to the wheel offsets. If it's too low with the right tire size, they can rub.

16" vs 17", you can get more meat on 16" wheels if you care. I think it's preference. Little more room to air down.

Don't see too many people go with the OME kit. Mostly Bilsteins for the basic lift. Looks like that OME kit does have full leafs.
Just pay attention to the wheel offsets. If it's too low with the right tire size, they can rub.

Yeah I'm leaning towards 32" tires . Thinking 17 because I can't find Falkens in 16. I don't know how much off set I'm gonna need, but what I'm wanting is for the tires to stick out a bit , not too much but not flush either . Maybe an inch or so.

I've also decided on the Cali raised rack for the bed and a RC tent .

I told my wife this is what it must feel like for a little girl when she dresses her dolls lol. The accessories for this truck are really cool .

Last edited:
Yeah I'm leaning towards 32" tires . Thinking 17 because I can't find Falkens in 16. I don't know how much off set I'm gonna need, but what I'm wanting is for the tires to stick out a bit , not too much but not flush either . Maybe an inch or so.

I told my wife this is what it must feel like for a little girl when she dresses her dolls lol. The accessories for this truck are really cool .

If you are open to suggestions, I wouldn't purchase CaliRaised or RC. There are many better quality options in the same price point.

CaliRaised is known for their crappy service. Just some kid's son going into flipping Chinese LED's. Then branched into hard goods. Most of their stuff is bulky. Rougher end product. You can even search Facebook Groups and Forums for people's experience with CaliRaised.

UpTop has a much nicer finished product. Customer Service is great. Wait for a sale and it'll be the same price wise. Black Friday is coming up. Wait times just suck all around no matter who you go with. Buy CaliRaised and you'll regret it later.
I doubt you'll find anything negative on these guys. The only bad thing is they discontinued the UHL and I needed yesterday.

You can see the difference.
Hy5Kai.jpg

For tents, I'd grab a Smittybuilt before a Rough Country. Never Rough Country. RC = Red China. Sure other tents are made there, but Rough Country = Bad. Just like CaliRaised. People called them ChinaRaised for a reason. Always remember, you just bought a $40k truck. Estimated market value. Buy once, cry once. CaliRaised and RC are basically for the just got a $5,000 project Jeep crowd or just people who make poor decisions.

Also for 16". 16x8et0 is pretty flush. 16x8et-20 is slight poke. I've found 16x8et0 with 1.25" spacers to be just right.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm leaning towards 32" tires . I don't know how much off set I'm gonna need, but what I'm wanting is for the tires to stick out a bit , not too much but not flush either . Maybe an inch or so.

Yes , definitely open t
If you are open to suggestions, I wouldn't purchase CaliRaised or RC. There are many better quality options in the same price point.

CaliRaised is known for their crappy service. Just some kid's son going into flipping Chinese LED's. Then branched into hard goods. Most of their stuff is bulky. Rougher end product. You can even search Facebook Groups and Forums for people's experience with CaliRaised.

UpTop has a much nicer finished product. Customer Service is great. Wait for a sale and it'll be the same price wise. Black Friday is coming up. Wait times just suck all around no matter who you go with. Buy CaliRaised and you'll regret it later.
I doubt you'll find anything negative on these guys. The only bad thing is they discontinued the UHL and I needed yesterday.

You can see the difference.
Hy5Kai.jpg

For tents, I'd grab a Smittybuilt before a Rough Country. Never Rough Country. RC = Red China. Sure other tents are made there, but Rough Country = Bad. Just like CaliRaised. People called them ChinaRaised for a reason. Always remember, you just bought a $40k truck. Estimated market value. Buy once, cry once. CaliRaised and RC are basically for the just got a $5,000 project Jeep crowd or just people who make poor decisions.

Also for 16". 16x8et0 is pretty flush. 16x8et-20 is slight poke. I've found 16x8et0 with 1.25" spacers to be just right. suggestions

Yes I'm definitely open to suggestions. I originally wanted the RCI rack , but I couldn't find a shorter rack . They have a 12 or 18". I really don't like the look of a tall rack . Was looking for an 8-10 ".

As far as tent , I'll look around and check out the stuff your talking about . I do appreciate all your advice as I'm new to this . It's a big help so thank you .

Hey all , I just got a 21 TRD 4x4 . I've been researching a little bit on mods . I'm looking at the 2" OME kit medium load lift kit. I don't want to do any cutting or stuff like that . Am I better off going 32" tires then 33's. Also are there any benefits going with a 17 wheel instead of 16?
You can fit 33" without cutting, if you go 255/85/16 or 255/80/17 pizza cutters. Unfortunately not a lot of tire choices in those sizes. The 2" lift will help.

I love my 32" 265/75/16 Duratracs, but will go 33" pizza cutter next time around.

Last edited:
Yes I'm definitely open to suggestions. I originally wanted the RCI rack , but I couldn't find a shorter rack . They have a 12 or 18". I really don't like the look of a tall rack . Was looking for an 8-10 ".

As far as tent , I'll look around and check out the stuff your talking about . I do appreciate all your advice as I'm new to this . It's a big help so thank you .
Would you get a roof rack at some point?
I think a lot of places will go 11-12" for mid, assuming most people end up with roof racks. So that height + tent will be pretty close to the height of the roof rack. Guess you just have to get a roof rack then. :)

Would you get a roof rack at some point?
I think a lot of places will go 11-12" for mid, assuming most people end up with roof racks. So that height + tent will be pretty close to the height of the roof rack. Guess you just have to get a roof rack then. :)

No , not into the roof racks

The Rago Fabrication Endeavor Bed Rack is capable of holding over 700lbs, this rack can do just about anything. Whether you need to mount recovery boards, shovels or pop up your rooftop tent and camp under the stars, the Endeavor Bed Rack will accompany you on any adventure.

Included with every rack is our specifically designed center supports that incorporate ceiling mounting solutions for products such as the Rotopax, Waterport and recovery boards. With the additional slotted holes you will be able to mount endless products to the center supports.

Gain additional lighting capabilities while trail riding in any condition with the built-in chase/rear light mounts. Paired with the Endeavor Bed Rack, the Baja Designs S2 lights will take your vehicle to the next level!

Included in this amazing and versatile design is our side molle panels. These panels have integrated mounting holes for your recovery boards with no additional bracket needed! The Endeavor Bed Rack comes powder coated textured black for a clean attractive look.

We are also working on our Atlas Roof Racks at this time, and will hopefully be releasing them soon.

Attachments

• Photo Jul 29, 2 49 49 PM.jpg
    Photo Jul 29, 2 49 49 PM.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 66
Hey guys I'm kind of flip flopping here . Instead of the EMU lift kit I'm thinking of just getting 2.5 spacers for the front. I want to basically level the truck .

Any preferences or ones I should stay away from ?

Hey guys I'm kind of flip flopping here . Instead of the EMU lift kit I'm thinking of just getting 2.5 spacers for the front. I want to basically level the truck .

As someone with 5 truck/jeep builds of experience, I would save a bit and invest in a solid lift. Doesn't have to be Icon's stage 23 for $6000 or Accutune's rolls Royce, but you want to get a reputable company's lift and don't go cheap. I've done my share of spacer lifts only to re-spend the money in installation a year or two later for the actual lift I should have just saved a bit more for and gone with one time. "Buy once, cry once" is a very true proverb when lifting your vehicle.

I'd suggest the bilsteins, icon early stage, or OME if you don't mind squeaky rear springs :). Think carefully and calculate your loads (winch/bumper? rear bed rack/roof top tent? rear bumper?) before you buy, then budget, save, and buy the kit that fits your needs.

As someone with 5 truck/jeep builds of experience, I would save a bit and invest in a solid lift. Doesn't have to be Icon's stage 23 for $6000 or Accutune's rolls Royce, but you want to get a reputable company's lift and don't go cheap. I've done my share of spacer lifts only to re-spend the money in installation a year or two later for the actual lift I should have just saved a bit more for and gone with one time. "Buy once, cry once" is a very true proverb when lifting your vehicle.

I'd suggest the bilsteins, icon early stage, or OME if you don't mind squeaky rear springs :). Think carefully and calculate your loads (winch/bumper? rear bed rack/roof top tent? rear bumper?) before you buy, then budget, save, and buy the kit that fits your needs.

Thank you for the response. I'm not going for the big heavy bumpers. I'm going to put on a bed rack and a rtt. I was leaning towards the OME 2 " medium . I really want the truck to be level though. It is little lower in the front then rear.

I'm not sure if that OME lift gets it level . I'm just a weekend warrior . Hwy driving during the week and off roads (hunting) on the weekends . Nothing serious like rock crawling.

I appreciate all the advice !

I put a two inch + lift kit, Bilstein 6112 (6/5) settings, 5160 and a Icon add-a-lift with 275/70R/17, I had tire rubs…nasty, did a CMC,still rubbing one side… next move one tire more passenger side only, 2019 Tacoma

My son with 2016 Tacoma had NO problems or tire rubbing…same height lift..

The tire size 265/70r / 16 or 17 May give you NO problems….no rubs, no CMC, better gas mileage, less problems in the long run, less weight, even better braking…researches this further…
Aloha

$1800: Icon's stage 1 leveling kit. Does nothing to the rear except exchange shocks, lifts the front just a bit.

$1700: OME's full kit, addresses the rear springs also. More comprehensive, shock quality not as good as Icon, but quite adequate. (btw, Icon, Fox, and King's are top of the line shocks)

$700: Westcott design's front preload spacer lift kit
I'm currently running Wescott's budget preload spacer lift in the front on my TRD Pro 2020, which includes a one inch block in the back. Costs $700, no need to change shocks. Had a guy install it for me for $250. A little stiffer in the front for a few weeks, but has since settled out and I'm quite happy...with TRD Pro Fox shocks, mind you, which are quite nice from the factory.

Most guys mix and match, or just drop $5-6000 on a full kit from Accutune or Icon and move on with life :)

I'd avoid spacers. The only spacers I'd get is one for the driver side to level out the lean.

5100 with OME spring is good starter.
For a little higher, 6112/5160/AAL with overload in for some more height.

I like Icon stuff but just have seen a lot of reports of them leaking and stuff.
I felt Bilstein would have better reliability.

Back