• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

New Taco Owner Questions: I have a 21 off road XP (A Southeast Toyota Edition) and I'm shopping for the right lift kit for a 3.0" to 3.5" lift.

21greenXPoffroad

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
I contacted Rough Country (RC) and they indicated that the X Series has some special mods to the control arms etc., and that their kits will not work with the X series trucks. Does anyone understand the X series MODS they are referring to and what the limitations are? Is there a good turn key 3" lift kit available for the X series, or should I piece it together myself?

Goals:
- Overlanding
- Forest trails
- High desert
- I don't want to destroy my taco
- Family oriented fun
- Keep reliability

Attachments

• green21.jpg
    green21.jpg
    328.7 KB · Views: 76
I've never heard of the "X" series before, could be just a marketing gimmick 🤷‍♂️

Lots of great companies to buy from. Bilstein, Dobinsons, Ironman. All comes down to budget really.

For me, I do those things with my stock truck just fine. Eventually I'll just grab some Bilstein 5100's and an AAL for the rear. That will suffice for my needs.

EDIT: looks like an appearance package to me.

Last edited:
I agree with @TCOTUE go with Bilstein 5100's or Dobinsons at a minimum. As far as lift range goes, you should shoot for 2.5"-3" max, especially if you're on a budget otherwise you're going to have a lot of reliability issues. By the time you do a 2.5" lift and add some 285/70/17 MT's you're going to have a very capable rig.

Looks like a special trim for the Southeast region.

Rough Country is a bunch of clowns if that's what they told you. Bilsteins will be a much better option in the price range.

Will mainly depend on budget what you plan on putting on the truck.

5100/888 + AAL + 1- 1/4" spacer will probably be the most budget friendly. You can source it all for around $800-900. Even less if you don't upgrade the spring and just preload the factory one. Less if you don't mind used. Some people have it for a short period and take it off. I'll be taking off my 5100's/887 shortly.
Capture.PNG

If you can spend more, go with 6112/5160 + AAL. Little more robust. Could even do a 6112/5100 combo to save a little.
If you shop around you can score this set for $1200-$1300. I think that's what I paid recently for the 6112/5160 + B12 650lb springs.

Probably grab a carrier bearing drop kit. Don't do the differential drop. Possibly sway bar relocation.
Let me know if need help shopping around to purchase. I've learned a lot of stuff is backordered. Even if the sites say in stock, they're backordered. They won't say anything and it'll have a magically 3 month wait. I placed a couple orders with a few sites and had to cancel 2-3 months later because they didn't mention it was backordered. Sites said in stock.
I've learned bilsteinlifts and shocksurplus are pretty good. When they say in stock, it's ready to ship.

Last edited:
Back