• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

New guy looking for lift advice, yes another one of these threads!

Zman85

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So here is another thread asking for help with a lift kit for my truck. I have definitely done my research, I also had a 2017 SR5 with 5100s and a block in the back before but I am purchasing a 2022 TRD Sport in a few weeks and want to lift it again but possibly go a different route this time. On my 17 the ride was super stiff, everything rattled, and when i came to a stop i would always hear/feel a bump in the back so I don't want to deal with those things again if i don't have to.

This is my situation: I am not an "offroader" per say. I am a daily highway driver to and from work, I do some beach trips in the summer where I take my truck on the beach, I go hunting and take my truck in the woods through trails a few times a year and maybe a handful of other times, some friends and myself hit some offroad trails in New Jersey but nothing extreme at all. So with that being said, I don't need or want anything extreme or super expensive. The lift is more for the look but obviously I want it to do its job when it comes down to it.

I was thinking a 2-2.5"(MAX) in lift and I will be running 265/70R17's on it as well.

The first kit I had seen is the Eibach 2.5" Pro Truck Lift kit and it comes with both front and rear shocks and coils as well. I can't find too much on this as far as how you adjust them, etc.

The second option was going the Bilstein 5100's again for both front and rear, OME 887 Coils, a front .5" strut spacer, 1-1.5" block in the rear or possibly a 1.5" AAL

Thirdly, I could go with what I did on my 2017 and just do Bilstein 5100's all around on the 3rd clip using stock coils and a 1" block in the rear. (wasnt a big fan of this because whenever i stopped i would hear a "clunk" in my rear and also when i would go over big bumps there would be a crazy vibration in the front)

Lastly, i'm completely open to other ideas. As previously mentioned, I don't need anything hardcore, just something that will lift the truck a bit, let me run the 265/70's without any issues and also try to keep a decent ride since I am on the highway frequently.

I am not trying to spend more than lets say $1,000 or so total if that is even possible? I am also not trying to replace my UCA's.

Sorry again guys for probably the millionth thread on this topic but thats why I am here, to get suggestions and feedback from others.

Westcott's is a nice budget option.

What rattled?
I don’t mean any hardware I just meant it was so stiff that everything inside the cab seemed to rattle and after a few months things seemed to be making noise all over the cabin just from I guess moving around so much. This was the first time I had a lifted truck though and maybe it just was T something I was used to

Feel free to read through my build thread for details and some perspective.
Never heard of them, I’ll give them a look

You could just level the Taco with a 1" lift in the front. Will still look lifted compared to stock.

Personally, I wouldn't replace the coils, or add a .5'' strut spacer, as that could have been part of the problem, unless you are planning to add weight to the truck (eg, RTT, winches, truck cap, etc.....)

Last edited:
Id do the 5100s with the 887s. Seems like most people who use 5100s and preload the stock springs have harsher rides. Staying under 2.5" of lift keeps you from needing UCA's is also the consensus. Lastly, sounds like something else was wrong if your truck made that much noise in the rear but nobody seems to like blocks, either rear lift options will work.

If you do a 2 or 2.5 inch lift the stock tires will look wacky.

You could do the Bilstein 5100 in the front set to a higher perch and the Icon add-a-leafs in the rear. That would be inexpensive and still have a good ride and performance.

-M

If you do a 2 or 2.5 inch lift the stock tires will look wacky.

You could do the Bilstein 5100 in the front set to a higher perch and the Icon add-a-leafs in the rear. That would be inexpensive and still have a good ride and performance.

-M
Definitely not keeping stock tires, I will be running Falken Wildpeaks 265/70r17

Back