• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

New Gears break in period

TacomaMTB

4️⃣ Gold
Reaction score
2016 Sport DCLB Auto
Magnetic Gray
Hi guys, I am having differential gears install in my Tacoma 4.88 front and rear, what will be the recommended way to do the breaking period? can I drive it in the freeway right away ?

Hi guys, I am having differential gears install in my Tacoma 4.88 front and rear, what will be the recommended way to do the breaking period? can I drive it in the freeway right away ?

You should definitely research a bit more as the break in period is crucial. I'd talk to the people installing for sure.

Pretty sure it's something along the lines of stopping every ten miles to let gears cool for 30 minutes for 500 miles then change the oil.

@Malcolm literally has his truck in the shop right now, what's your plan?

Upvote 0

Definitely talk to the shop that is installing them. They will know best and since they are most likely gonna warranty the install, they should tell you without you asking.

Upvote 0
Certain shops will tell you a difference in opinion, but realistically you should stop every 10 miles for about 30-45 minutes to let them cool down for at least 30 miles so do that 3 times. Then take it easy for 500 miles, normal road driving no offroading or towing.

Upvote 0
Certain shops will tell you a difference in opinion, but realistically you should stop every 10 miles for about 30-45 minutes to let them cool down for at least 30 miles so do that 3 times. Then take it easy for 500 miles, normal road driving no offroading or towing.

Don’t forget, it’s recommended to change the fluid after the first 500 miles.

Upvote 0
Don’t forget, it’s recommended to change the fluid after the first 500 miles.
yes of course, you should 100% do that, i was more so explaining to process of breaking them in which is essentially polishing and deburring them in the diff. This is a big reason why you change the fluid because there may be shavings or the fluid will become clouded.

Upvote 0
I appreciated you input, Thanks

Upvote 0
when my friend just put 4.88's in his 2nd gen, the stop thingy for 30 miles, easy 450 mile in trips (if you got different tires the speedo will be off can't use that actually gotta gps your miles) and for the last 50 miles he did it in 4wd on the beach following with dif oil change

Upvote 0
would also recommend maybe taking off the bed rack and rtt to make the break in easier on the gears
Hey Thanks for the input, I put the RTT only when I go camping ( Glamping ) and now with the 488 gears the truck runs better, faster take up an the stops so far I have 40 miles since Friday.

Upvote 0
I’m itching to do a 4.88 swap. No reliable shops around here so my only option would be the ECGS exchange
Mine was done in 4 Wheel Drive parts in Temecula, so far all is good, I need to drive it 500 miles for the gear inspection, they also did my Jeep Jk on 2011 and no problem since.

Upvote 0
Mine was done in 4 Wheel Drive parts in Temecula, so far all is good, I need to drive it 500 miles for the gear inspection, they also did my Jeep Jk on 2011 and no problem since.
werent they pretty expensive?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
are you still on stock gears? youre probably really struggling, I know I am and im still on 33s
I am, but I have OVTune. My truck is still better than a stock Tacoma without OVT. I will get the Nitro 5.29s though.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Yes thats a price you all can get! They do great work very cool guys. its a Jeep shop primarily but a differential is a differential
Thanks for the info... Maybe we can get a group deal if we get a few trucks ready at the same time... I need to wait a bit but will want soon

Upvote 0
Back