• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Warranty Need some opinions if i should keep my extended warranty or get money back, please help!!!

Daryl2021

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Hello Friends
I just bought my 2021 TRD Offroad>
I am new to this and have 3 Questions that I am concerned about:

1) I wanted to ask if its best to go with 87 or 91 octane when filling gas. I fill up at Costco.

2) I live in the area where catalytic-converters are stolen. I wanted to ask and get guidance if i should get my Tacoma's catalytic-converters secured. I hear one can go to dealer or muffler places & they install/weld things to secure the cats. So would my 2021 Tacoma need that. Or should I not worry. Please help!!!

3) Finally and big Question:
I know Tacoma comes with some standard warrantees. Is it worth buying/paying for extended warranty? I have 60 days to get my full money back.
-I paid like $1600 for Toyota Extra Care Platinum (electronics/electrical, etc) for additional 5yr/40K on top of basic which comes with 3yr/36K, for total of 8yr/76K
-I paid $1000 for Keys & Tire/Wheel Protection Platinum+ for 6yr
Please advise, friends. Really need your best guidance!

Thanks All.
CC: Tyler (Site Admin)
Daryl.

1. Regular, ALWAYS regular. If you needed Premium your manual would tell you. Higher octane gas is bad for engines not designed for it.
2. I'm not the person to ask. I live in a state with no inspections so if someone stole my cat I'd just weld in straight pipes.
3. Extended warranty is a rip off, get your money back.

Upvote 0
Engines are designed for a specific fuel and using a higher octane does nothing but cost you money.

You can buy keys or wheels for less than the warranty. And you aren't going to need new wheels in 5 years.

Pretty sure they steal cats with a saws all, so welds won't help.

-M

Upvote 0
Warranty is not worth it. The likelihood of your truck breaking under 100k miles is pretty low, and if any issues pop up, they usually do prior to 36k miles (wobbling, vibrations, 4wd actuators, etc.).
It's all risk-benefit probabilities. You might be the guy who blows an engine at 37k miles...but the statistics are in your favor that it won't.

Upvote 0
1) I wanted to ask if its best to go with 87 or 91 octane when filling gas. I fill up at Costco.
Use 87 as that is what the manufacturer calls for. If you hear/see people using 91 in their Tacoma, it is possible they might be doing it because of a specific engine mod that won’t be applicable to you.

2) I live in the area where catalytic-converters are stolen. I wanted to ask and get guidance if i should get my Tacoma's catalytic-converters secured. I hear one can go to dealer or muffler places & they install/weld things to secure the cats. So would my 2021 Tacoma need that. Or should I not worry. Please help!!!
I’m not sure because I’m not from an area like that. Generally speaking though, if a thief wants it, they’ll get it. In this case they would probably just cut it out so maybe you should leave it as is and install home security cameras or something like that?

3) Finally and big Question:
I know Tacoma comes with some standard warrantees. Is it worth buying/paying for extended warranty? I have 60 days to get my full money back.
-I paid like $1600 for Toyota Extra Care Platinum (electronics/electrical, etc) for additional 5yr/40K on top of basic which comes with 3yr/36K, for total of 8yr/76K
-I paid $1000 for Keys & Tire/Wheel Protection Platinum+ for 6yr
The answer here is probably subjective but I agree with the other people in this thread. You probably won’t need the warranties until they’re already expired. On the contrary, you could get unlucky and something could come up where the extended warranties would save you money.

In my experience being around the Tacoma community for 3 years, I haven’t seen enough people with unexpected issues where the extended warranty ended up paying for itself. So, for me personally, I’d get the money back and not stress about it.

Edit: If anything, I would drop the key/wheel/tire one and keep the electrics one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I negotiated extended warranty do to 850, going to keep truck for a long time. I figured I spend more money on stupider stuff so just for peace of mind, good luck!

Upvote 0
I negotiated extended warranty do to 850, going to keep truck for a long time. I figured I spend more money on stupider stuff so just for peace of mind, good luck!
Which only covers manufacturer failures. Some dealers are assholes and will try to deny you warranty for aftermarket parts than have nothing to do with what went wrong. If you have the money and it gives you peace of mind great. The D in @Frankie D must be for DOLLAS! I'm poor.

I always figure if something goes horribly wrong, it would have to be something I caused. Everything else should be fine after the standard warranty. I did buy it once for my first new car and haven't since. Worked out for me.

Upvote 0
Back