• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Mysterious front end noise

JohnnyUtah253

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2018 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Cement
My Tacoma started making this funny noise on the passenger side front wheel, I’m not a mechanic but It definitely sounds like it’s coming from the CV axel area but there’s noting loose or causing it to make that noise. It only happens here and there and certain angles my truck is at. It’s not all time, but definitely concerns me. Does anyone have a clue ? I have read and googled this matter and some of them say some off the wall Stuff. Body mount ? There tight, wheel bearings? I doubt it it’s still brand new. I put a bilstien lift on my truck also but I don’t think it could be from the lift, I can’t seem To figure it out.

I'm having the same issue. I only have 1,200 miles on mine and its in the front passenger side. A clunk when I take off from a stop and any time I hit a bump or dip. You can hear it too when you push on the bumper and work the suspension up and down. If yours makes the noise when you push up and down on the bumper its prob suspension related. Mine goes into the dealer on Friday to get figured out. Hopefully the weather warms up since it's gone away after the temp drop.

Did yours happen before or after the lift? Did you install a transfer case drop to adjust cv angle?

Upvote 0
It just happened, like it almost sounds like the cv axel wiggling or loose. I never pushed down on the bumper either. It rides great just makes some weird sounds. I watch some YouTube videos of the same problem and I don’t see a issue. As for my lift everything seems legit. I think it’s just one of those weird things a truck does. I even checked to see if my trick was in a wreck and nothing so I definitely want some answers and would like to fond a solution to it.

Upvote 0
Sounds like it's time for a shop to check it. Wish I had an answer for you. Let us know how it works out

Upvote 0
Yah man you too, definitely would like to know what’s going on. I have to take my truck back to 4wheel parts for them to see how my lift is doing I’m gonna ask them to check that out also.

Upvote 0
I'm having the same issue. I only have 1,200 miles on mine and its in the front passenger side. A clunk when I take off from a stop and any time I hit a bump or dip. You can hear it too when you push on the bumper and work the suspension up and down. If yours makes the noise when you push up and down on the bumper its prob suspension related. Mine goes into the dealer on Friday to get figured out. Hopefully the weather warms up since it's gone away after the temp drop.

Did yours happen before or after the lift? Did you install a transfer case drop to adjust cv angle?
The clunk I hear is usually related to the slack in the rear diff

Upvote 0
My Tacoma started making this funny noise on the passenger side front wheel, I’m not a mechanic but It definitely sounds like it’s coming from the CV axel area but there’s noting loose or causing it to make that noise. It only happens here and there and certain angles my truck is at. It’s not all time, but definitely concerns me. Does anyone have a clue ? I have read and googled this matter and some of them say some off the wall Stuff. Body mount ? There tight, wheel bearings? I doubt it it’s still brand new. I put a bilstien lift on my truck also but I don’t think it could be from the lift, I can’t seem To figure it out.
People mention the very front body mount due to and issue with the body mount rubber prematurely wearing which is a common issue
Since you just had a lift installed and I assume the noise started after? Could be bushing binding from an improper in stall
Or uca is touching somthing at certain angle
IMG_2446.jpg
IMG_2461.jpg

(Photos from another forum)
8month old 5600mile

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I’ll check my body mounts in the front and see what’s going on. Do you mean all four like under the drivers and passenger door or the ones near the grill my truck has 24K on it. I would like to think they installed it the right way. I will check it out tho for sure and keep you all posted...

Upvote 0
I’ll check my body mounts in the front and see what’s going on. Do you mean all four like under the drivers and passenger door or the ones near the grill my truck has 24K on it. I would like to think they installed it the right way. I will check it out tho for sure and keep you all posted...
I've only hear reports of the very front bodymounts under the radiator
It might not be the issue but it's a known noise maker on this gen truck

Upvote 0
Back