• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

My new-to-me daily driver and the story of my four week long overland trip from Michigan to Mountain River, Alaska. (Long read.)

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
This is my fictional story about a new 4x4 simulator game called SnowRunner. I don’t expect you guys to read all of this but I figured I would share it for those bored at work or whatever, lol.

————

7C6706E0-0464-4175-9236-E10192BD9EA8.jpeg

I recently started a new job in Black River, Michigan. Mostly doing construction deliveries and some minor road work and cleanup after a bad county-wide flood.

My main workhorse has been an International Fleetstar. She runs strong and I’ve DIY installed a decent transfer case and locker kit in it, which helps tremendously with the muddy roads. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to find a decent set of larger mud tires yet, but its road tires have held up so far.

Anyway, I’ve been looking for a new daily driver for running around town, taking care of some of my smaller side-jobs without needing the big rig, and the occasional recreational muddin’ in my off time.

I’ve had a few other half ton trucks sitting around for ages that I don’t bother with, a K1500 and a IH Scout. They’re too small for my needs and just not my style. They’re popular enthusiast trucks so I figured I’d throw them up for sale on a popular 4x4 forum I use (Pirate4x4), and sure enough, they sold immediately.

I really wanted to find a one ton pickup truck — I’m a diehard squarebody Chevy guy. My other requirement is a longbed and a 3+3 (crew cab). I found a few but they were either in no condition to be used without a ton of work or just rotted out from the salty roads in the winter.

But then... I found a freakin’ unicorn. A 1974 INTERNATIONAL LOADSTAR, ONE-OWNER BARN FIND!!! Yes, you ready that correctly. And it gets better. This grandpa-owned badassery of a rig is a 6x4 (dually), 5 speed manual, with the diesel engine, AND IT IS THE CREW CAB!

The gentlemen who owns it an 85 year old widower who originally bought it for towing his boat in the summer and road trips in the winter. Unfortunately, he lost his wife in a pretty brutal accident back in ‘96. A bridge collapsed during an avalanche while she was trying to get out of harm’s way, ironically.

His grieving process resulted in him parking the truck for good because it was too emotional to drive anymore. The one thing he did every year though, was to have his grandson start it, drive it ~2 miles, and change the oil twice a year. Every. Single. Year.

Naturally, I couldn’t buy it fast enough. Hell, I didn’t even care how much he wanted for it. 42k original miles? Are you kidding me? No rust either, but the paint could use some TLC.

That’s my story of my new daily driver. But it doesn’t end there. I started using it for a few weeks and while she could get through almost anything, it became clear a lift and some 40s would be the icing on the cake.

I called and called and called to find a legitimate lift kit for it. It being an unusual truck, it’s not as simple as throwing leaf springs out of a Chevy one ton. And I didn’t want to do blocks. The only place I could find who carried the necessary components is based out of Mountain River, Alaska. Hmm. I’ve always wanted to road trip to Alaska. This might be my excuse.

And I did. I packed up the dogs, brought plenty of extra gas, and pretty much hit the road with the truck as is. As expected, roads started getting pretty bad the more north I got. But eventually, with the old school trusty Warn winch that I rebuilt, I made the trip successfully. The lift was installed without a problem and she looks great. All it needs now are some 40s off an old military surplus truck.

I love my new daily driver so much that I can’t resist using it for work over my Fleetstar, even for bigger jobs. Yeah, I have to sometimes make extra trips to the warehouse due to the shorter trailer I’m using. But she handles the weight like it’s not even back there and for me, it’s all about smiles per gallon anyway.

Don’t worry Fleetstar, I won’t neglect you forever! (I might.)

Last edited:
Well written. Have you been playing that game? Is it pretty cool or what?

hows the vehicle selection and customization?

hows the vehicle selection and customization?
Customization is decent although there could def be more. The vehicle selection is also decent right now and the devs intend to have DLC updates that add vehicles, maps, features, etc, for at least 4 major phases.

Been thinking about getting a Mud/Snow Runner game. I have more hours than I'd like to admit playing Farming Simulator... lol
Same premise and it's cool to put modded vehicles in the game. Super calming and I can play it while watching Netflix or YouTube

I hear so much about the snow/mud runner stuff all the time. Didn't realize how popular that stuff was. Is it a PC thing?
You can get them on PS4 and Xbox. The PC version allows the community to install fan made mods though, but they tend to be hit or miss anyway.

If you have a console, absolutely get SnowRunner.

You can get them on PS4 and Xbox. The PC version allows the community to install fan made mods though, but they tend to be hit or miss anyway.

Gotcha. No I don't have any game console things. Hell it's been a few months since tv was even turned on lol. Just curious, seemed like something that made sense for PC or mobile.

I was playing a on Friday. I did the tutorial then just free roamed for a bit.. Looks great, controls could use a little work on the Xbox one. Definitely something I'll play more.

The control layout works really well. However, I'd like the trigger for accelerating to work like in other games, half pulled for half throttle. The slightest pressure on the trigger and its wide open. The steering is the same way the slightest movement and its full lock.

I was playing a on Friday. I did the tutorial then just free roamed for a bit.. Looks great, controls could use a little work on the Xbox one. Definitely something I'll play more.

The control layout works really well. However, I'd like the trigger for accelerating to work like in other games, half pulled for half throttle. The slightest pressure on the trigger and its wide open. The steering is the same way the slightest movement and its full lock.
I agree with that. You can slightly change around the controls but it could still be better.

Back