• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

MTS in Action: Towing a Trailer up Steele Pass

StormRnr

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Silver Sky
I used MTS for the first time a few months back when we drove up steel pass with a group from Overland Trail Guides. I turned on MTS for the first time and set it for rock and Loose Gravel. I was shocked how well it did over the basic traction control and found it to be better than a locker because it didn't affect turning at all.

Original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGvpPav04fo

You can see in the video how the tires only ever slip a small amount, then they grab and crawl up.

I have had a 1999 4Runner for years and would usually use the locker for stuff like this and that works well, but it tends to push you in a straight line and generally makes steering wonky. While the TRD OR has the locker, I have found MTS to be better in the limited time I've had to use it.
IMG_5896.JPGIMG_7098_Original.jpegIMG_5905.jpeg
View attachment 52151

-M

Attachments

• IMG_5901.jpeg
    IMG_5901.jpeg
    255.1 KB · Views: 70
I used MTS for the first time a few months back when we drove up steel pass with a group from Overland Trail Guides. I turned on MTS for the first time and set it for rock and Loose Gravel. I was shocked how well it did over the basic traction control and found it to be better than a locker because it didn't affect turning at all.

Original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGvpPav04fo

You can see in the video how the tires only ever slip a small amount, then they grab and crawl up.

I have had a 1999 4Runner for years and would usually use the locker for stuff like this and that works well, but it tends to push you in a straight line and generally makes steering wonky. While the TRD OR has the locker, I have found MTS to be better in the limited time I've had to use it.
IMG_5896.JPGIMG_7098_Original.jpegIMG_5905.jpeg
View attachment 52151

-M

For some reason I’ve not used MTS. I have used CRAWL control, which has worked well. How does MTS differ from CRAWL?

For some reason I’ve not used MTS. I have used CRAWL control, which has worked well. How does MTS differ from CRAWL?
Crawl Control is lets you set a speed and it keeps you there while modulating the traction control. It's like cruise control.

MTS lets you set different thresholds for the amount of traction control and then you drive normally.

I haven't found situations where crawl control has been useful. It might have worked well in this situation as it could have allowed smoother movement over the rocks.

-M

Nice shots. I'm getting the feeling MTS and CC are underappreciated features. Maybe folks are just sticking to what they're familiar with, like relying on lockers

Nice shots. I'm getting the feeling MTS and CC are underappreciated features. Maybe folks are just sticking to what they're familiar with, like relying on lockers
I've yet to appreciate CC. Going down it's super jerky. Haven't used it much going up. I'll try to take the opportunity next time to test both.

-M

Back