• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Mountain hatch, why?

RevN3

7️⃣ Connoisseur
Rig of the Month (2x)
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Manual
Blazing Blue Pearl
So, I've been seeing these getting reviewed by the you-tubers lately so I expect a bunch of free ones got sent out.

I see how it would be useful to have a flat surface there but I'm not seeing justification for that crazy price. I'm pretty sure I could just grab a sheet of aluminium and make something very similar, at least in functionality.

So, I've been seeing these getting reviewed by the you-tubers lately so I expect a bunch of free ones got sent out.

I see how it would be useful to have a flat surface there but I'm not seeing justification for that crazy price. I'm pretty sure I could just grab a sheet of aluminium and make something very similar, at least in functionality.
I’ve been thinking the same thing. I didn’t look too much into it yet, but I imagine picking a material and cutting it to size would be pretty easy and cheap.

Honestly its a nice product, great idea for the inventor/creator, 2 thumbs up, but yes a little price, hope the price go down .
If it were $50 or even $75 I might go for it...but $255? For a flat chunk of plastic? I just don't get it.

I dig my Mountain Hatch a lot actually. I didn't pay $255 for it as it must have been cheaper when I bought, but it's been worth it in my eyes. I have the earlier version without the cupholders on it and supposedly it's a slicker texture than the new ones.

Honestly the thing is pretty awesome. The regular tailgate drop down sucks for camping and every day use, the Mountain Hatch makes the tailgate so much more functional. Yes it's a flat piece of plastic, but it's a been a killer upgrade for us. It's food grade if you need to cut on it, textured to keep things from sliding, lightweight, and cut for a perfect fit. Plus I don't have a garage with a work bench so my tailgate doubles as that now. The hatch actually makes the whole tailgate seal tighter, so along with the lower seal I installed between the edge of the gate and the bed I get less dust in the back of my bed compared to what I got before I installed all of it. I still get dust back there, but it's definitely less. I will say it can be a bit slick in rain or icy weather if you stand on it.

I'm sure if someone wanted to they could go and cut out something that would fit the same, and maybe be a better end result, but this thing has been pretty bomb for us and all I had to do was place an order. I'm happy with it.

General disclaimer, Mountain Hatch works with the charity fundraiser I'm doing. They've gone out of their way and offered to support what we're doing for a charity I care about. I've met them in person and they are good people. However while I may be thankful to them, that doesn't change my opinion of their product.

MorteroCanyon-28.jpg

I don't doubt the people at Mountain Hatch are good people, nor do I doubt the usefulness of a flat surface back there. I was only trying to make one point, and I think we might even agree it. The price is bonkers.

I don't doubt the people at Mountain Hatch are good people, nor do I doubt the usefulness of a flat surface back there. I was only trying to make one point, and I think we might even agree it. The price is bonkers.

I hear ya. I will say, even at that price it's one of my most used upgrades. Plus they have demo ones for like $30 less. Hell I was just today working on my coilovers before I reinstall. Makes a killer work bench for me.

Whats to say you could get some HDPE and make something like that? It cant be that hard to scratch a template out.

HDPE

Whats to say you could get some HDPE and make something like that? It cant be that hard to scratch a template out.

HDPE

There's certainly nothing stopping anyone with a bit of ingenuity from giving this a shot. Good luck man. Let us know what you come up with ?

I wouldn't want to put my food products on that dirty ass mat. I know how nasty mine gets back there
I agree. I understand that it's food grade but just because you can doesn't mean you should. I like the idea of a flat, sanitary surface.... to put my cutting board on.

I agree. I understand that it's food grade but just because you can doesn't mean you should. I like the idea of a flat, sanitary surface.... to put my cutting board on.

That's what we do. We don't cut on it. We use it as a surface to put our cutting board on and then prep and cook food. ?

I know for a fact that the HDPE plastic isn't cheap: we have a small 22"X 17" cutting board in our ExO tables that cost us 22.00 each. Honestly the price is probably reasonable for what you are getting

See, that's aluminum AND covers the top as well for under 200! What are they thinking with the Mountain Hatch pricing?!?! I still think I'm going to try to make my own. Not sure if my press brake is big enough to make one like Relentless's though.

You should just buy the Relentless one. Im thinking that your time is more valuable than the time its gonna take to try to fabricate one yourself.

Anyone seen the Snail Armor ones? Aluminum, reasonably priced...just not a huge fan of the snail armor text on it

HDPE is expensive to begin with when you are going to buy one piece and try and do it your self. add in the CNC time and cost as well and you can see why that is the price for the product. some may find value in that and others will not. the aluminum counterparts are also nice and may even be a bit stronger in the long run. Personally for me I like the aluminum product as I can see it serving me and my needs better, price aside though the mountain hatch product is nice. the joy of having all these products to choose from as we can get a product to fit our needs.

I bought a mountain hatch about a year ago, it is a thicker product than the stock tailgate cover. As a result the factor screws along the bottom of the tailgate cover did not really engage with the plastic clips that hold the screws. I had to make a trip to the hardware store for longer screws. If I had it to do over I would have just gotten an aluminum one.

Love my m-hatch simply for knee and ass comfort. Well worth the purchase imo and honestly a major oversight for OEM.

I should say, I’d never prepare food on it and never planned to.

M-hatch had the market cornered for a hot minute but now days the amount of companies coming out with tailgate panels and their derivatives pretty indicative of the market for rock sliders and ditch light brackets - dime a dozen.

Tailgate just another table for me. I don't know paying 225 for a piece of plastic or even 200 for a hunk of aluminum makes any difference for my applications anyway. I'm usually sliding ammo cans, water jugs, Plano boxes and whatever else on the OEM cover. Whatever you put on there would look like ass in about one trip for me. The OEM holds up well. Seems awfully gucci for a truck. But hey what do I know I only do what's necessary. Some people like to make it look pretty. To each his own.🤙🏽

I opted for this panel by Snail Armor. Not cheap but it still was cheaper than the 250 for a MH. Powder coated aluminum and it takes a beating.
20200825_174206-01.jpeg

I've seen a couple people make their own for less than $100 in materials. Cool product & would be nice to have, but I wouldn't pay that much for one personally lol

I've seen a couple people make their own for less than $100 in materials. Cool product & would be nice to have, but I wouldn't pay that much for one personally lol

I'm with you on this. They are cool for sure, and I'm tempted since someone is selling a used Mountain Hatch near me for a fair price. However, I have to look at it practically.

The number of beers that Ive spilled because I carelessly set it down on my tailgate while camping: Two. Lost tools when using it as my workbench: Zero.

At a loss of $6 per glass (I might or might not be a craft hipster-snob) I need to avoid 31 additional spills to really justify the purchase. I have been intrigued by the idea of a universal "trim to fit" mat that would bolt on over the tailgate, its 40 bucks on Amazon. But again, even though I often use the gate as a platform, I'm just not annoyed by it enough to do something about it. At least not yet.

Back