• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Moon Roof .... No Bug \ Sun Screen??

StevO

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
2023 Sport DCLB Auto
Magnetic Gray
Hello Taco Heads,
I'm new to the forum, and a brand new owner of a 2023 TRD Sport.

Soooo I have to ask. Why would you have the option of a moon roof without the added benefit of a bug \ sun screen built into it? So the question is .....is there a mod, or accessory thingy to add a Bug \ Sun Screen to the moon roof?

I know there are the outside magnetic screens but I have been looking for one that works from the inside, maybe even stays in the slider cover and just gets put in place when you leave it open.

Have a great rest of the week and fantastic weekend!

I've never even thought about something like that existing on a sunroof before, but on a truck like the Tacoma it would make sense. If nobody makes one and it's something you think would sell, pitch the idea to some vendors and see if you can get it made. A foldable/removable one doesn't seem hard to do, but a rigid one you can leave in place seems like a much harder part to design, if it could work at all.

Hey Drizzoh,
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, it's weird. You see them on SUV's and higher end cars. I thought about making it myself, but I thought I'd give it a try in here first.

Velcro and magnetic was all I saw. I bet you could just add clamps to one or magnets to fit inside the channel.
Maybe even modify a collapsing one so you can open it up between the roof and headliner. There's always this thing. It's so chic but manly since it's like a tank turret.

1695858398751.png

1695858159067.png
1695858245330.png

Velcro and magnetic was all I saw. I bet you could just add clamps to one or magnets to fit inside the channel.
Maybe even modify a collapsing one so you can open it up between the roof and headliner. There's always this thing. It's so chic but manly since it's like a tank turret.

1695858398751.png

1695858159067.png
1695858245330.png

Hi Bonifacio,
Thanks for replying back and the ideas. I'm def considering the tank turret version with a tray of meats and cheeses :)

It's weird. You would think they would have incorporated that into it, but hey the rear slider window when open doesn't give an alarm when you leave it open after you turn the truck off so ...there you are I guess.

Truthfully the moon roof is the one feature on the truck I liked least, but there weren't many to pick from in my area, and this truck had the additional packages and features like my previous 2009 Taco, most importantly the double cab, & 6' bed. Def digging my TRD Sport that's for sure, and since owning it the moon roof has grown on me especially with the nice weather.

Thanks again for replying and adding some laughter into the mid week grind. Have a good one!

Hi Bonifacio,
Thanks for replying back and the ideas. I'm def considering the tank turret version with a tray of meats and cheeses :)

It's weird. You would think they would have incorporated that into it, but hey the rear slider window when open doesn't give an alarm when you leave it open after you turn the truck off so ...there you are I guess.

Truthfully the moon roof is the one feature on the truck I liked least, but there weren't many to pick from in my area, and this truck had the additional packages and features like my previous 2009 Taco, most importantly the double cab, & 6' bed. Def digging my TRD Sport that's for sure, and since owning it the moon roof has grown on me especially with the nice weather.

Thanks again for replying and adding some laughter into the mid week grind. Have a good one!

Yeah, I didn't want a moon roof. But it was tied in with the O/R with Premium and Tech. I only open it to make sure it's working. I have bad allergies so I usually just have the A/C on. Also want to keep the sound in. If you come up with something, let me know. I could maybe help you make it into something. I'm gonna dig around and see if I can come up with something. Thinking maybe 2 poles that are the length with a net. Turn it in sideways and rest it on the channels. Stick magnets on the poles to stay in place. Poles would be collapsible like the older antennas. Then the net can be folded up. That way it's never in the way. Might not be a seal, but I think it would work to keep bugs out for the most part. Are you cooking in the back seat to attract them? Lol.

Yeah, I didn't want a moon roof. But it was tied in with the O/R with Premium and Tech. I only open it to make sure it's working. I have bad allergies so I usually just have the A/C on. Also want to keep the sound in. If you come up with something, let me know. I could maybe help you make it into something. I'm gonna dig around and see if I can come up with something. Thinking maybe 2 poles that are the length with a net. Turn it in sideways and rest it on the channels. Stick magnets on the poles to stay in place. Poles would be collapsible like the older antennas. Then the net can be folded up. That way it's never in the way. Might not be a seal, but I think it would work to keep bugs out for the most part. Are you cooking in the back seat to attract them? Lol.
That was funny.. cooking in the back seat :)

Really it's nice to have a pull screen when the truck is parked and you have it in vent of even open to keep the car cooler than all sealed up with the windows cracked. You're idea is pretty cool. I'll tool around and see what I can come up with.

Same deal on mine --- O/R with Premium and Tech. The audio does kick ass.

Have a great week.

Make something that's 2 panels and folds in half.
When you raise it partially folded, it'll go straight through, but when you pull down and lay it flat, it'll be long enough to rest on the headliner without dropping back down. Genius.

Could also just make it a wire frame and bend it in and out as needed.

I couldn't find the folding/collapsing wireframe things that retain shape. No idea how that works.

Back