• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Minimal Upgrades to Stock TRD Pro?

3cent.Taco

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2018 Pro DCSB Auto
Midnight Black
Guys, I'm in a TRD Pro and we all know the buyer's remorse as soon as we jump on to a forum whether you have a Pro or not... So, I'm trying to stay within the limits of the truck's suspension without having to dump the Pro's Fox Suspension that I paid for... Rookie mistake, I know.. I don't plan on going through any hardcore wheeling and just want to take my truck off road, some soft trails, and nowhere near looking to break anything. Also, I'm going to be staying on pavement 90% of the time as this is my daily driver and there aren't that many trails around me to go to one every weekend.

I already have a bed rack, RTT, and rock sliders. I have a front bumper (SSO Slimline + Stage 2 HC) on the way and would like to put a winch there as well. I'm also thinking additional battery for auxiliary lighting, winch, all the misc. camping gear, and a spare tire. Rear bumper plans wayyyy down the line, probably when I'm ready to upgrade suspension. Do you guys think I'm good with staying stock? Would you guys recommend I do anything at a minimum that will help with load without breaking the bank?

I also ran into this: https://www.newlevelmotorsports.com/revtek427ap.html#undefined1. Might this at least increase some weight limitations for the time being?

This is like asking a bunch of crackheads if you should try marijuana. :)

Your truck is plenty capable in stock form for everything you describe. Not sure why you even need a winch, extra battery, etc. It is easy to get caught up in the expo-sexual trap but own it for a few months and take a few camping trips to determine what you actually need.

OK, fire retardant suit just zipped up....

This is like asking a bunch of crackheads if you should try marijuana. :)

Your truck is plenty capable in stock form for everything you describe. Not sure why you even need a winch, extra battery, etc. It is easy to get caught up in the expo-sexual trap but own it for a few months and take a few camping trips to determine what you actually need.

OK, fire retardant suit just zipped up....
Hahaha. I just want to be the best looking mall crawler around okay? ?

I do plan on going to places on my own, without anyone else trailing on some trips and I'd rather be safe than sorry with a winch. I don't want to run the winch off the stock battery and don't want to drain the stock battery while having lights on all night and not be able to start the truck when it's time to move on to the next stop. I've had the truck for a little over a year now, so I want to get into the full swing of things with temps coming down briefly in Texas.

All of your current accessories + the incoming bumper setup is fine on your stock fox suspension. I have a local buddy on stock sport suspension with all that and more, and he does just fine on light to moderate off-roading. These trucks are pretty dang capable right out of the box.

Well, it depends how much weight you actually have added. The stock suspension is good at best. The leaf springs are weak.... it's a known Tacoma problem. When they start sagging it wouldn't be a bad idea to start thinking of a leaf pack replacement or AAL kit. That's really the only thing I can see that would eventually fail down the road. That Fox stuff is awesome, but there is better ;)

All of your current accessories + the incoming bumper setup is fine on your stock fox suspension. I have a local buddy on stock sport suspension with all that and more, and he does just fine on light to moderate off-roading. These trucks are pretty dang capable right out of the box.

Awesome! This is comforting to hear. Thanks for the feedback. I guess, I'm just being too overly concerned.

Well, it depends how much weight you actually have added. The stock suspension is good at best. The leaf springs are weak.... it's a known Tacoma problem. When they start sagging it wouldn't be a bad idea to start thinking of a leaf pack replacement or AAL kit. That's really the only thing I can see that would eventually fail down the road. That Fox stuff is awesome, but there is better ;)

Got it. I'll keep an eye out on that when I get everything on the truck. If I go full leaf pack replacement, is it essentially a plug and play? Or what do I need to consider getting the right one to ensure everything else aligns properly with the shocks? Also, welcome to the forum btw!

Awesome! This is comforting to hear. Thanks for the feedback. I guess, I'm just being too overly concerned.

Got it. I'll keep an eye out on that when I get everything on the truck. If I go full leaf pack replacement, is it essentially a plug and play? Or what do I need to consider getting the right one to ensure everything else aligns properly with the shocks? Also, welcome to the forum btw!
Exactly. It just swaps in.

We are big fans of the Icon multi-rate leafs because of the adjustability they provide. You've got 3 different settings depending on lift/load requirements.

Great!! Easier upgrades for me at better and at the price point, it's really not too terribly bad for a future upgrade. I'll add this to my list. I've been maintaining a list of future buys... haha. Thanks for the feedback and the help!

Exactly. It just swaps in.

We are big fans of the Icon multi-rate leafs because of the adjustability they provide. You've got 3 different settings depending on lift/load requirements.

Oh, @NEO Garage ... just thought of something. If I upgrade leaf springs to the ones you mentioned, will that change the leveling of my truck?

Oh, @NEO Garage ... just thought of something. If I upgrade leaf springs to the ones you mentioned, will that change the leveling of my truck?
Yes.

Depending on the front lift it will either level or give some some rake.

FB8DA73C-921B-4B8E-A536-AA9574B98A6E.jpeg

Back