• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Millennials Really Want A Fully Electric Toyota Tacoma, Says Survey

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2022/11/millennials-really-want-a-fully-electric-toyota-tacoma-says-survey.html
Truck, Truck, Truck. Young people really want EV trucks, especially from Toyota.
The North American EV revolution has taken a truck-shaped form, but it’s been the realm of big trucks. The Rivian R1T, Ford F-150 Lightning, GMC Hummer EV, and forthcoming Chevrolet Silverado EV are all big, full-sized brutes. A...

Millennials Really Want A Fully Electric Toyota Tacoma, Says Survey

The information in this post comes from an automatic 4th Gen Tacoma News & Information aggregator. Source website...

I do too...but I will wait for the 3rd or 4th year. Early adopting EVs is a recipe for disaster.

So, say you're out camping, the weather turns to shit with rain and mud, and you can't charge your truck.... Just kind of stuck out there?
Growing up we camped at Mormon Lake and Knoll Lake (Az), for what seemed like at least a week and a half. It rained for three days straight at one of those places, so it's not unheard of.

So, say you're out camping, the weather turns to shit with rain and mud, and you can't charge your truck.... Just kind of stuck out there?
Growing up we camped at Mormon Lake and Knoll Lake (Az), for what seemed like at least a week and a half. It rained for three days straight at one of those places, so it's not unheard of.

Yeah I still don't see a way around fuel in that sense. I mean, if you installed a bunch of solar panels maybe you could get away with it. Perhaps a hood made of solar panels.. and roof.. and tonneau cover... Hahaha.

As a millennial, I like the Rivian trucks. But, yeah; I’m not looking for an EV to get stuck in the woods with, lol.

I am not interested in an electric Tacoma, but definitely interested in a hybrid Tacoma. Last Saturday at my Toyota dealer, I asked a salesperson about the possible release date of the hybrid Tacoma. The salesperson said they had not received any notifications, but 2024 or 2025 models is expected. The hybrid Tacoma will have a turbo 4-cylinder motor.

Solar isn't really an option for charging an EV at this point. You couldn't take enough solar panels.

By the numbers, a 300 mile range would be enough for most camping trips. There's a guy on youtube who wend from Bishop CA to Coyote Flat in hius Rivian. Had like 60% left when he got there. When he got back to bishop he had more. So it generated more power going down than it had at the top. Then he went up Silver Canyon and back down and it was the same. He didn't generate more power going down, but he generated some. That's something. Rivian R1T Real Off Road Range - Based a Data Scientist Owner. (He's a data scientist, but there are definitely holes in his methodology. But for the love of god don't try to argue with him.)

Many of the trips I take have ups and downs. In an ICE you're consuming the whole time. In an EV you're generating on the way down.

Think about Death Valley. It's ALL up and down. I wonder how EV range would be an advantage there.

-M

Yeah I still don't see a way around fuel in that sense. I mean, if you installed a bunch of solar panels maybe you could get away with it. Perhaps a hood made of solar panels.. and roof.. and tonneau cover... Hahaha.
Yeah the whole thing would have to be solar paneled. Stay away from the mud!

Solar isn't really an option for charging an EV at this point. You couldn't take enough solar panels.

By the numbers, a 300 mile range would be enough for most camping trips. There's a guy on youtube who wend from Bishop CA to Coyote Flat in hius Rivian. Had like 60% left when he got there. When he got back to bishop he had more. So it generated more power going down than it had at the top. Then he went up Silver Canyon and back down and it was the same. He didn't generate more power going down, but he generated some. That's something. Rivian R1T Real Off Road Range - Based a Data Scientist Owner. (He's a data scientist, but there are definitely holes in his methodology. But for the love of god don't try to argue with him.)

Many of the trips I take have ups and downs. In an ICE you're consuming the whole time. In an EV you're generating on the way down.

Think about Death Valley. It's ALL up and down. I wonder how EV range would be an advantage there.

-M
I could see that, with the downhill recharging. I don’t remember where I hear about it, but somebody told me some company has EV big rigs, and they damn near drain them driving up to either Reno or South Lake Tahoe or something, then when they drive downhill back towards civilization it’s almost fully charged again.
It’s like how I get 28mpg almost coasting down from there but only 15 on the way up!

Over time the battery will decay and hold less charge, soon the battery will need replacing IF and IF it makes its life limit.
Only 70% of batteries actually make their life limit expectancy, either they have a manufacturing flaw/issue or they short/catch fire.

I have had a full series of tested courses on electric vehicles and fire causes,. its part of a Fire Investigators required CEU's.
Economical (maybe and arguable in longevity) Reliable (same answer).

No I would not own one. If you do buy one DO NOT park it in you attached home garage. Just stating a fair warning here.
The more batteries they try and pump out in manufacturing the less durable they will become (just like everything else made today)

Over time the battery will decay and hold less charge, soon the battery will need replacing IF and IF it makes its life limit.
Only 70% of batteries actually make their life limit expectancy, either they have a manufacturing flaw/issue or they short/catch fire.

I have had a full series of tested courses on electric vehicles and fire causes,. its part of a Fire Investigators required CEU's.
Economical (maybe and arguable in longevity) Reliable (same answer).

No I would not own one. If you do buy one DO NOT park it in you attached home garage. Just stating a fair warning here.
The more batteries they try and pump out in manufacturing the less durable they will become (just like everything else made today)
That's how people will commit suicide in the future. They'll close the garage door and put the car on to charge.

Here is typical issue.... a two-plug charger that did not work
The text communication.....
1670276553408.png

Back