• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

MBRP Rear Modular Bumper replacement

Silent_Taco4x4

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Auto
White
After being rear ended twice, and then backing into a tree, I decided a more durable rear bumper was higher on the priority list. I have the backup sensors and blind spot monitors, and was looking for a bumper that worked with those. After over a month of searching I found 2 brands that claimed to work with the blind spot monitors but they didn't have reviews yet, so I took a chance on the MBRP Full Width Black Rear Modular Bumper, I liked that it was lighter and shipping was easier because of how it split in the middle and install looked easy enough even I good manage it.
Before:
20170428_192734.jpg

After:
20170429_162737.jpg

I have no during pictures, install was pretty easy, everything seemed to be going smoothly, then... none of the sensors worked. Here is where the fun starts.
The parking sensors were going off and the blind spot monitor was giving errors when I tried to turn them back on. I was able to get in touch with MBRP, they were very helpful, sent me out new angle pieces for the blind spot monitors and the 2 middle parking sensors, still nothing... Finally while on the phone with MBRP, one their engineers said to try rotating the parking sensors... it worked. The parking sensors have a vertical and horizontal orientation, if they are not lined up right the will detect the Bumper as being to close. Also found out that blind spot monitors will need to be re-calibrated. Finally got around to taking the truck to my local dealer, $400 to re-calibrate. Then on the way home they stopped working again, talked to my service rep and he said they will keep going out of calibration, anything can set them off, so I thanked him for telling me this after I spent the $400 and have never been back to that dealership.

So here is the Tip: If you have blind spot monitors, do not replace your factory bumper unless you are okay not having blind spot monitors anymore.

Last edited:
After being rear ended twice, and then backing into a tree, I decided a more durable rear bumper was higher on the priority list. I have the backup sensors and blind spot monitors, and was looking for a bumper that worked with those. After over a month of searching I found 2 brands that claimed to work with the blind spot monitors but they didn't have reviews yet, so I took a chance on the MBRP Full Width Black Rear Modular Bumper, I liked that it was lighter and shipping was easier because of how it split in the middle and install looked easy enough even I good manage it.
Before:
20170428_192734.jpg

After:
20170429_162737.jpg

I have no during pictures, install was pretty easy, everything seemed to be going smoothly, then... none of the sensors worked. Here is where the fun starts.
The parking sensors were going off and the blind spot monitor was giving errors when I tried to turn them back on. I was able to get in touch with MBRP, they were very helpful, sent me out new angle pieces for the blind spot monitors and the 2 middle parking sensors, still nothing... Finally while on the phone with MBRP, one their engineers said to try rotating the parking sensors... it worked. The parking sensors have a vertical and horizontal orientation, if they are not lined up right the will detect the Bumper as being to close. Also found out that blind spot monitors will need to be re-calibrated. Finally got around to taking the truck to my local dealer, $400 to re-calibrate. Then on the way home they stopped working again, talked to my service rep and he said they will keep going out of calibration, anything can set them off, so I thanked him for telling me this after I spent the $400 and have never been back to that dealership.

So here is the Tip: If you have blind spot monitors, do not replace your factory bumper unless you are okay not having blind spot monitors anymore.

Bummers you weren't able to get them to work but I'm pretty sure it can be done. Just need to find someone in the know. I'll eventually be doing aftermarkets as well and the BSM and parking sensors is a must because I daily drive for work.

How are you BSM sensors mounted ?
To the truck or to the bumper?

Mounted to the bumber via a bracket, after I got them re-calibrated the first time they worked for about half a day.

Mounted to the bumber via a bracket, after I got them re-calibrated the first time they worked for about half a day.
Are they not functioning at all ? Are they sensing ghost cars? Or just zip

I'm assuming the sensor is behind a plate as well.
- Blindspot monitoring sensor would need a X clearance in front of the sensing range (X distance from bumper surface).
- Blindspot sensor will only read through an X thickness of material (I'm sure metal vs plastic would also come into play
So I would try to move them on and out to see if that helps, I don't think you would need a recalibration for that
I work in the collision industry and I run into cars that require a whole new bumper or need to be stripped of paint or else bsm sensors won't work due to paint thickness to that degree

When I turn them on, it constantly beeps and says not available. I've tried adjusting the angle of the bracket, the cable, the connector, but that has not worked. There is nothing in-front of or covering the BSM, also from what I have read, metal would block it from functioning properly. When I took the old bumper off it was just the plastic end caps that were in-front of it. I might try to bring it to a body shop and see what they can do.

Maybe even cut a hole the size of the sensor and rivet a plastic patch in front to simulate a bumper

Before:
20170428_192734.jpg

After:
20170429_162737.jpg

Yup, put a Warn bumper on my truck same problem. The factory bumpers are pretty cheap. I backed into a Lexus causing minimal scratches to their bumper, it broke my passenger side rear bumper support in half. Tacoma's are great trucks with crappy bumpers. Your new bumper looks great.

Before:
20170428_192734.jpg

After:
20170429_162737.jpg

The really sad part is you had all that and still backed into a tree lol good luck with the blind spot monitor sensors

Hey, I like the look of that bumper and I don't have blind spot monitors. Where did you get it from?

Back