• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

MaxTrac spindles

Hubermr

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2018 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Midnight Black
Everyone,

I am looking at replacing my upper and lower control arms with Dirt King aftermarket ones. I am also looking at the Maxtrax aftermarket spindles. It adds i think 4 inches to the lift. If anyone has them what lift did you need to add on the back to level it out?

Everyone,

I am looking at replacing my upper and lower control arms with Dirt King aftermarket ones. I am also looking at the Maxtrax aftermarket spindles. It adds i think 4 inches to the lift. If anyone has them what lift did you need to add on the back to level it out?
To be honest with you, I have never heard of anyone running them (maybe on extremely built trucks), but I would like to read more into it. Could you please link the site that has the kit you are looking at?

They actually provide 4” of lift? That seems pretty awesome. And I’d imagine they are beefier than stock.

They seem like a good way to get a very solid 4” of lift for your 2wd truck (is yours 2wd?). I say solid because unlike coilovers, the spindles wont compress with weight, therefore giving you a constant 4”. I would imagine you would need a 6” leaf spring kit in the rear to level the truck out and avoid the Cali-lean look.

They’re known to be great control arms. However, because of the 4-5” lift you might have from your spindles and coils, I think you should email them about this. They say their control arms are rated to 3” lift. You should find out what they think about their ball joints sitting at a constant angle that is a little more than what they are recommending.

They seem like a good way to get a very solid 4” of lift for your 2wd truck (is yours 2wd?). I say solid because unlike coilovers, the spindles wont compress with weight, therefore giving you a constant 4”. I would imagine you would need a 6” leaf spring kit in the rear to level the truck out and avoid the Cali-lean look.

I dont know why they put for 2WD becuase its just replacing the front. But mine is a 4x4 and these would still work. When i was looking into the rear i was told to level you do 2 inches less than the front. So i would need 2 inches in the rear?

I dont know why they put for 2WD becuase its just replacing the front. But mine is a 4x4 and these would still work. When i was looking into the rear i was told to level you do 2 inches less than the front. So i would need 2 inches in the rear?
Not sure why they have it listed as 2wd either.

I really don’t think 2” would be enough for this. Most trucks are lifted 2-3” in the front and 2-4” in the rear and it looks level, especially with any gear over the bed.

I checked out some photos of this kit and you can usually see a lean.

1581437906359.jpeg

Of course, it depends on what they used in the rear.

This one looks level, but that’s more than 2” added to the rear.

1581438189174.jpeg

This one says it has 2” in the rear, which is contrary to what I thought. (I’m to an expert on this — just shooting ideas.)

1581438301223.jpeg

This one looks level, but that’s more than 2” added to the rear.

1581438189174.jpeg

Hmmm.... I know I am going to add a suspension airbag assist in the rear to compensate for the gear added but I’ll have to research more then. My truck is currently 3 inches in the front and one in the rear with a basic lift level kit. So I’m not sure.

This one says it has 2” in the rear, which is contrary to what I thought. (I’m to an expert on this — just shooting ideas.)

1581438301223.jpeg

I did reach out to both companies about how to go about doing this. I want to see if it can be done because I’m not exactly looking for a long travel. Just something that can take more abuse than OEM

Hmmm.... I know I am going to add a suspension airbag assist in the rear to compensate for the gear added but I’ll have to research more then. My truck is currently 3 inches in the front and one in the rear with a basic lift level kit. So I’m not sure.
Adding the airbags will surely compensate for any lean you might have by using 2” in the rear. So if you’re going that route, you should be good.

This one apparently has 4” blocks in the rear, but looks to be leaning.

1581438592803.jpeg

Yo so get this. I reach out to dirt king and they said those are for 2WD trucks only. So I am back to the drawing board on what I need to do to strengthen my suspension in the front.
That was what I thought.

What is your intent with strengthening? I’ll be able to make other suggestions based off what your goals are.

That was what I thought.

What is your intent with strengthening? I’ll be able to make other suggestions based off what your goals are.

well I’m looking for non long travel suspension replacement parts. Like the Heim upper control arms. With the forums I’ve read up on the factory suspension just can’t handle the abuse of over landing so I’m looking to go aftermarket with something stronger that can take some abuse.

well I’m looking for non long travel suspension replacement parts. Like the Heim upper control arms. With the forums I’ve read up on the factory suspension just can’t handle the abuse of over landing so I’m looking to go aftermarket with something stronger that can take some abuse.
SPC upper control arms are a solid and less expensive option. They are highly adjustable for alignments and such. I have abused mine for 2 years and they are holding up great, ball joints still don’t need replacing.

@TOTAL CHAOS has a popular UCA option. I believe they make ones that are not long travel.

Icon also has a few nice options in varying prices that are commonly used and abused.

A lot of people don’t replace the lowers because they are known to hold up quite well even with a lift and desert mobbing. But if you are going to, @TOTAL CHAOS has those too.

And then, of course, there’s Dirt King.

Had a long write up and didnt see tylers post. So ill just agree with him
-SPC uppers
-Extended travel coilovers
-Beef up the rear with a new pack and aal if needed
-Throw skid plates on the stock lowers
-Send it

Last edited:
@Tyler would you say if I was to do the @TOTAL CHAOS UCAs and I wanted to do the lowers as well should I do their uniball lower? Since the upper has a uniball

@Tyler would you say if I was to do the @TOTAL CHAOS UCAs and I wanted to do the lowers as well should I do their uniball lower? Since the upper has a uniball

It would be personal choice if you were to go with the uniball lowers. We build and sell more of the uniball lowers than we do the standard version but it's up to the user and what they are looking for out of the arm.

Our 86555-E Lowers (available in dual and single shock options) would be a great choice.
https://www.chaosfab.com/accessorie...es-Stock-Length-Lower-Control-Arms-86555-E-16

Back