• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Marlin Crawler RCLT HD preview video / updates

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
If you are following the production of Marlin Crawler's RCLT HD, which is basically an IFS that rivals a SFA, they just released a new video and some other info. The video itself doesn't cover too much about the kit, nor does it have much footage of it being used, but if you skip through, there are a few new shots of it in action throughout.

Original link: https://youtu.be/atX2nzo-tFc

And here is the caption of the video that has some new info:

PRODUCTION UPDATE:

RCLT HD Pre-orders will start mid to late August!

RCLT HD will begin shipping mid to late September!

Please consider clicking the "Notify when in stock" button on our website below to be added to our mailing list for future updates on this ground-breaking new Long Travel setup that seriously does challenge the benefits of a SAS!

https://www.marlincrawler.com/rclthd

ADDITIONAL NOTES:

This was my first time taking the Tacoma on the Dusy and I had an absolute BLAST. I firmly believe that Dusy is a more difficult trail for a Tacoma than the Rubicon. Shown is our third and final RCLT HD prototype, which continues to shine and seriously impress... I am fully convinced that nothing can hold a candle to RCLT HD. Impossible to prove, but @SlowestTacoma likely became the first IFS with 40" tires to conquer the Dusy, and I even turned around and went back up & down Thompson Hill without any trouble, which is the trail's most notorious and difficult section.

VEHICLE SPECS:

2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport

3.5L 6cyl 2GR-FKS

6spd Manual Transmission

8-speed 27.54:1 Triple Transfer Case

• 2.28:1 Marlin Crawler Crawl Box

• 4.70:1 Marlin Crawler TacoBox

• 2.57:1 Factory Transfer Case

48-forward and 8-reverse gears

580:1 Final Drive / Marlin Crawler Crawl Ratio

Marlin Crawler Prototype F & R DOM Low Profile & Lightweight Tube Bumpers

Front RCLT HD Suspension with Integrated MarRack HD Steering

## World's first IFS kit designed for Rock Crawling

• Relocates axle 2” forward requiring a new HD steering system

• CNC machined one-piece lower spindle with double-shear steering

• Double-shear & horizontally-mounted upper & lower ball joints

• Unmatched strength, approach angle, and ground clearance

• Flex easily exceeds all IFS kits reusing factory knuckles

• Industry-first +2.75” out-flexes & out-performs wider +3.50” kits

• Run 37" tires without body mount modification or fiberglass fenders

## New HD Arms, Knuckles, Tie Rods and MarRack Steering Rack

• All-new steering & suspension geometry specifically designed for

lifted rigs, with built-in adjustable caster to run 33” to 40” tires

• Handling, steering, ride quality, and on- & off-road traction

unmatched with kits reusing factory knuckles

• Extended steering arms reduce driver steering effort by 15%

as well as impact loads up-stream to the Heavy Duty MarRack

## Compared to a Solid Axle Swap, the Marlin Crawler RCLT HD...

• Has vastly more ground clearance and less unsprung mass

• Is 99% bolt-on and easily transferable from vehicle to vehicle

• May be removed and all original IFS components reinstalled

• Retains all factory ABS, cruise, and traction control systems

• Reuses OEM brakes and spindle components for ease of service

• Can be aligned by any shop without special instructions

• Retains superior handling, ride quality, stability for daily-drivers

Front RCV Ultimate Chromoly Axle Shafts (same outer CVs as their Dana 60 kit, guaranteed to handle 40" tires)

Front Radflo 2.5" 7.87" travel Coilovers with compression adjusters

Front 8.0" 2005+ IFS Differential (original)

1596038194221.png

Last edited:
Hmm...I'm sticking with my previously expressed opinion. If you want a Jeep, buy a Jeep.
Jeeps are badass but the amount of insane obstacles they are capable of is almost boring at this point. Of course it’s a Jeep out there killing it. (I have a Jeep.)

@Tyler

you may be sad to hear this but I’m 99% sure ill be doing this vs sas.

Because reasons lol. That’s all I can say. I wanted this before the truck was being built up, then was sticker shocked and now it’s not so bad.

@Tyler

you may be sad to hear this but I’m 99% sure ill be doing this vs sas.

Because reasons lol. That’s all I can say. I wanted this before the truck was being built up, then was sticker shocked and now it’s not so bad.
Totally understandable. This kit is badass in its own right. I considered it for a while too. Plus, you have the Taco box already.

Totally understandable. This kit is badass in its own right. I considered it for a while too. Plus, you have the Taco box already.

Haha well that’s not the reaction I expected lol

But yeah, I believe in Marlins stuff, they are an OG. I wanted a Marlin build when I started with this thing. Itll be cool to (hopefully) rock a few different parts from them.

This setup is amazing, hoping to see it on some more trucks soon! But I still think will go with the 3.5+ total chaos/accutune/king setup, gives you more versatility than just rock crawling with the same flex. But on the other hand, it's 15k compared to 11k when everything is said and done for full bed cage and coil overs. Guess I'm just more into the Prerunner style build.

BUT, if someone can find me a setup that can do it ALLLL. That would be amazing haha.

Haha well that’s not the reaction I expected lol

But yeah, I believe in Marlins stuff, they are an OG. I wanted a Marlin build when I started with this thing. Itll be cool to (hopefully) rock a few different parts from them.
Do you have a timeframe for when you’re expecting to have a kit in hand?

Do you have a timeframe for when you’re expecting to have a kit in hand?

Im going to call them before I order this time. So I will do that this week.

I plan on ordering around October. Do the swap early Jan/ Feb. Thats if the timing works out.

From what I've read elsewhere, Marlin has a huge wait time right now. People still waiting on kits from last August?

Im going to call them before I order this time. So I will do that this week.

I plan on ordering around October. Do the swap early Jan/ Feb. Thats if the timing works out.
That’s about the same timing I’m aiming for, for the SAS. Should be a fun comparison for us lol

From what I've read elsewhere, Marlin has a huge wait time right now. People still waiting on kits from last August?
That’s been my understanding. It seems almost impossible to get the kit but I’m not sure what the reality of it is.

Not sure cause part of me wants to do an “factory” axle width. So if tons, they would need to be cut down which is a whole extra project.

That’s the worst decision. I have on “paper” a fj80 axle to keep similar track width. Possibly a built 9” for the rear.

Time is of the essence for me. That’s why I’m hoping for the rclt. I can knock it out and not miss too much work. (Yeah, self employed but still lots to do lol)

The RCLT is about 6 weeks out with some other components further then that. Going to do a rebuild of the suspension in 2022, at this point just procuring all the parts and information....

Back