• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

M

I always apply the parking brake before taking my foot off the clutch and/or foot brake when parking. My driveway is 32 degrees so it's a requirement to do so, but I was taught to always apply the parking brake and it's a good habit I keep up with in all my vehicles. In this particular instance, the parking brake was completely off and the foot brake was not being touched. I tried to move the truck by letting the clutch out a bit but it stalled. I started the truck again and it moved. So I have no idea.

I always apply the parking brake before taking my foot off the clutch and/or foot brake when parking. My driveway is 32 degrees so it's a requirement to do so, but I was taught to always apply the parking brake and it's a good habit I keep up with in all my vehicles. In this particular instance, the parking brake was completely off and the foot brake was not being touched. I tried to move the truck by letting the clutch out a bit but it stalled. I started the truck again and it moved. So I have no idea.
E

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly, it seems when you turn the truck off for a few seconds and then turn it back on it corrects itself so I'm starting to believe it's an electrical deal with the transfer case.

It happened again yesterday and I didn't have the ebrake on and it just completely locks up and you can't go nowhere.

I got like 58,000 miles on the truck now and now I'm changing all the differential fluids and if it happens again I'm selling this son of a bitch.
After some thought and peeking under the hood, I'm thinking it's the electronic brake/clutch control for the PCS.

My transfer case is normally left in 2WD mode and only switched over a couple time a month to work the system and lubricate everything as the manual says to do.

I haven't driven my truck in two months because of a broken left leg, but I haven't had the issue happen since that once. My truck only has about 21,000 miles so I'm sure I will encounter it more as time goes on.

2019 Tacoma TRD….Auto… I am glad you mention this problem…(at that time fully Stock)..
I live on a dirt road, not flat, when I started up my truck, the tires seem to lock up, I would turn it off and restart.. shift gears reverse and forward…seems like a “glitch”…. Then it seems to work correctly..
Happen on three occasion…. Weird for sure…
If it happens again…I will restart and press brakes once…is this correct?
Aloha

2019 Tacoma TRD….Auto… I am glad you mention this problem…(at that time fully Stock)..
I live on a dirt road, not flat, when I started up my truck, the tires seem to lock up, I would turn it off and restart.. shift gears reverse and forward…seems like a “glitch”…. Then it seems to work correctly..
Happen on three occasion…. Weird for sure…
If it happens again…I will restart and press brakes once…is this correct?
Aloha
Yes

Thanks for figuring that out. I didn't know they worked that way. So if we want all four wheels locked while parked we just have to be applying the brakes when the truck is shut off? Is this a feature or a bug?

I always press the brake pedal before starting so I guess I never would have known about this.

With push button start….You have to press the brakes or it will NOT start? ..not sure of Tacoma with key starts?

But the “gitch” of brake locking up…is weird…

Thanks for figuring that out. I didn't know they worked that way. So if we want all four wheels locked while parked we just have to be applying the brakes when the truck is shut off? Is this a feature or a bug?

I always press the brake pedal before starting so I guess I never would have known about this.
N

Back