• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Love my Tacoma

WOLFY4X

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Website
gearproject.co
2019 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Cement
I have a 2019 and have done quite a few mods. Totally matte blacked out inside and out plus several performance mods. I have a TRD mass air, dual MSRB exhaust, Thorton stage 3 chip, AFE 1” throttle body spacer and a Pedal Commander. It does like to run now. The idle is much better as well as the shift points are incredible. I just added Icon 143 18” wheels with 33” Nitto terra grapplers. With the 33’s, my next step is to go 4.88 gears. The overdrive sucks on the Tacoma, but this is supposed to help tremendously. Continues to be a work in progress, but it has great performance. I also am adding a 4” lift soon with a 1” rear. I currently just have 3” spacers in the front. So I still have money to spend for sure. It’s been a great truck and plan on having it for several years!

Attachments

• DE9E972B-519A-497D-905B-6B003858D0E1.jpeg
    DE9E972B-519A-497D-905B-6B003858D0E1.jpeg
    240.1 KB · Views: 93
Welcome man. With 33's you should not /need/ to regear. I'd put that cash towards getting a proper tune and yank out that chip and the Pedal commander. Neither can do what a flash tune will. You'll be amazed how much better the truck drives afterwards.

The truck definitely needs some rear lift to match the front, looks way too bro rn but you're not off to a bad start.

Definitely need to regear. Height is a preference bro. Chip works well and the Power Commander really helps the response. Thanks for the response anyway.

I love the cement gray with the blacked out look. Nice!

I have a 2019 and have done quite a few mods. Totally matte blacked out inside and out plus several performance mods. I have a TRD mass air, dual MSRB exhaust, Thorton stage 3 chip, AFE 1” throttle body spacer and a Pedal Commander. It does like to run now. The idle is much better as well as the shift points are incredible. I just added Icon 143 18” wheels with 33” Nitto terra grapplers. With the 33’s, my next step is to go 4.88 gears. The overdrive sucks on the Tacoma, but this is supposed to help tremendously. Continues to be a work in progress, but it has great performance. I also am adding a 4” lift soon with a 1” rear. I currently just have 3” spacers in the front. So I still have money to spend for sure. It’s been a great truck and plan on having it for several years!
Nice looking setup man! Could you tell a big difference after the TB spacer? Also, how does the chip work with a PC? I thought they were kind of the same thing but obviously you’re running both. I’d be interested to hear more about that.

Nice looking setup man! Could you tell a big difference after the TB spacer? Also, how does the chip work with a PC? I thought they were kind of the same thing but obviously you’re running both. I’d be interested to hear more about that.
No HP gain out of the throttle body spacer. Seemed to run and accelerate better though. The Thorton chip is a stage three, which claims a 60 HP gain. It does really come alive at 3500 rpm's. The Pedal Commander does help ramp up the rpm's quickly with the huge responsiveness difference at the gas pedal.

I wish I felt the same way about my Cement gray as you. I don't even know if I was ever that enthusiastic about it.
Definitely go with getting a tune flashed. Even if you regear after or at anytime, most of the good tunes include free updates. So it would be fine to drive after getting regear on the existing tune until you can get it reflashed.
How long have you had the vehicle and how many miles did you put on it? Have you tracked your driving and fuel efficiency? See if you actually saw the increased in fuel efficiency. Some of the claims on those things are just insane and can't be true.

I've been thinking about a flash tune as well. I am not sure if I can do if I still wish to keep the chip. I need to look into it. Definitely not any better on gas if not worse (I do have a lead foot though). I only have 30,000 miles on the truck. I don't drive it every day.

I've been thinking about a flash tune as well. I am not sure if I can do if I still wish to keep the chip. I need to look into it. Definitely not any better on gas if not worse (I do have a lead foot though). I only have 30,000 miles on the truck. I don't drive it every day.
I have less on mine and have a good idea what I average on similar drives.
Once you get tuned, you might not even care for the chip since it improves most of the areas where it lacks.
If you really wanted to add try the chip, it should be safe to just throw it on. If you don't like it just remove it. It shouldn't hurt it. Tuners won't recommend it. I wouldn't either since the tunes are pretty optimized for efficiency to get the most of your vehicle. The chip being a simple resistor mod wouldn't have the capability to even contribute anything in conjunction with a quality tune.

I agree, but I have really enjoyed the added HP. I know the tune helps but there is no HP add I think. These trucks have lacked the power which I know the tune helps, but it is not the end all.

I agree, but I have really enjoyed the added HP. I know the tune helps but there is no HP add I think. These trucks have lacked the power which I know the tune helps, but it is not the end all.

But there is no added horsepower the entire thing is a placebo. Tunes add horsepower proven on dynos. Whatever added horsepower you're feeling is probably contributed to the improved throttle response from the Pedal Commander which only interprets the input it's given and how the vehicle responds.

Give this a read and think about it: https://www.performancechipguide.co...i-cat-performance-chip-tuner-review-teardown/

They would be more popular if it worked and tuning would be dead. This is a good YouTube video idea. I could become a content creator.

Back