• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Long Travel Recommendations

TrojanMan60

4️⃣ Gold
Reaction score
2016 SR5 DCSB Auto
White
Just wondering who has the best long travel kit?
Also, what do y’all overlanders run for tires (brand and size)?

I’ll keep that in mind? are there any decent ones for like, half that??
Long travel ain’t cheap. You’re talking about upper and lower arms, coilovers and maybe bipass shocks if you want to run them too. And then new longer front axles if you’re 4x4. And I wouldn’t be cheap about it if you plan on using it for what’s its meant for. There’s some other things you’ll need too that add to the big cost. Personally I’m not aware of a kit in the 5k range that has the long travel components and shocks and everything. You’re going to be more like 6k up from the research I’ve done. But there might be something out there I’ve missed ??‍♂️

Long travel ain’t cheap. You’re talking about upper and lower arms, coilovers and maybe bipass shocks if you want to run them too. And then new longer front axles if you’re 4x4. And I wouldn’t be cheap about it if you plan on using it for what’s its meant for. There’s some other things you’ll need too that add to the big cost. Personally I’m not aware of a kit in the 5k range that has the long travel components and shocks and everything. You’re going to be more like 6k up from the research I’ve done. But there might be something out there I’ve missed ??‍♂️
I’m fine paying for quality, I just don’t want to be paying for extra parts that don’t matter. My ideal spot would be around 8k, but if it’s worth the price I’m always willing.

I’m fine paying for quality, I just don’t want to be paying for extra parts that don’t matter. My ideal spot would be around 8k, but if it’s worth the price I’m always willing.
You should be good then man

Personally I wouldn't recommend long travel unless you are wheeling the shit out of your truck on harder trails because of how much maintenance and how on top of everything you have to be to make sure it doesn't fail and if it does it's a pricey repair. Icon kits are plenty enough and perform very well with an extended travel front coils they have and their delta joint upper control arms, and then the rear setup depends on kind of weight you'd be running. As of tires if you plan on again wheeling a fair bit I recommend the Cooper ST MAXX because it's a very long lasting aggressive hybrid tire that does okay in mud (better then other all terrains for sure but still not amazing for mudding) and amazing in snow and rocky terrains, especially because of how strong the sidewalls are tred are, but they tank mpg because they are a heavy tire mine are load range e. For day to day driving with maybe offroad lightly every now and again duratracs or ko2's are a good choice and if you don't plan on doing actual trails but maybe fireroads can go with wildpeaks. If where you live or plan on wheeling is mud heavy then I'd say go up to the mud terrain which sacrifices mpg, longevity, and snow performance but I'm not sure on a recommendation for those the KM3 seem nice.

If I were going to be hitting jumps I’d say go lt but if you’re going to be daily driving and going out on the weekend to spots around the country do a solid extended travel set up, meaning Kings, fox, icons, the bilstein 8112s are amazing imo. As for the rear I’d do a shock relocation with an under the bed set up and new shackles and hangers with a ubolt flip kit.

If I were going to be hitting jumps I’d say go lt but if you’re going to be daily driving and going out on the weekend to spots around the country do a solid extended travel set up, meaning Kings, fox, icons, the bilstein 8112s are amazing imo. As for the rear I’d do a shock relocation with an under the bed set up and new shackles and hangers with a ubolt flip kit.
As a matter of a fact, this is the kit that I was going to go with. They tune the shocks for free too before sending it out. https://accutuneoffroad.com/product/05-tacoma-mid-travel-suspension-kit-stage-5a-king/

I did the shackles and hangers. I haven’t done the relocation kit. Not sure if I want to do the kit or not
Me being stock, I figured screw it I’ll just do it all since it’s all in this nice kit lol

Back