• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Limp Mode: Code P2103. Please Help me

Jive

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
Just picked up my first tacoma last Monday and I'm been having a lot of fun fixing it up. Here's my current problem: I'm getting two engine codes - P2111 (Throttle actuator control system stuck open) and P2103 (Throttle actuator control motor circuit high). The big one I need you to help me on is how to diagnose and fix P2103. Here's a quick background on the truck.

Truck had one owner and was a daily from 2009 to 2019, during which time it racked up 226,000 miles (current reading). From 2019 until yesterday, it was parked and didn't move. Enter stage right: Me. I picked it up over the weekend for dirt cheap from a family friend and I spent the entire weekend working on it. All it needed to start up was a new battery. Right after startup, I was getting two codes; the first one went away fast, but the one that lingered was P2103. With the battery unplugged, I took apart the air intake system and cleaned it, and then I removed the throttle body and cleaned it with throttle body cleaner. I put it all back together, reconnected the battery, and several tedious things happened:

1) I still have P2103

2) I have the new code - P2111

3) Idle is jumping to 1900, then falling to 1600, and constantly repeating

4) The car drives, but its in limp mode and won't exceed (somewhere around) 2k RPM

So two and three on that list occurred right after I cleaned the throttle body. Could I have done anything that you know of to directly cause these to occur?

And my main question: What steps do you think I should take to to diagnose and fix the code P2103?

In all honesty, most of my experience with vehicles has been working on old, carbureted Harleys and Kawasaki motorcycles, so all this electronic stuff is a learning curve for me. I'm asking you for help because you seem like a very helpful community, and I bet you could figure it out.

Thank you very much,
Jive

Back