• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Lightest Storage Bin and Recovery Gear Solutions?

itsthex

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.coryinmotion.com
2020 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Cement
Hey all!

I am planning to keep my truck build as light as possible and am looking for recommendations for the best, lightest recovery gear storage solutions. I don't plan to do overlanding in the traditional sense with a bed rack and tent, instead I plan to use an offroad camper trailer. The reasoning is because I'd like to be able to find my camp site and then go wheeling for a while to come back to my trailer later.

So, on that note, since I'm already towing a trailer, I'd like to keep my bed weight as low as possible.

My thoughts were something in the form of a low profile, firmly affixed storage box at the front of the bed. Ideally this box would be able to hold on to all my recovery gear from straps to shovel to traction boards, first aid kit, etc. Additionally I would like all my recovery gear to be as light as possible!

Planned upgrades are lighter versions of offroad bumpers and a winch. Any recommendations here?

Additionally, I'm not 100% familiar with rear bumper upgrades or how those work when it comes to trailer hitch location and any changes in towing capabilities. But I plan to run something here possibly as well.

Thanks guys!

Honestly, you'd be hard pressed to do much better than a plastic bin with a ratchet. Bonus points if you can fit the individual pieces in a tongue box. Don't underestimate the amount of space available behind the rear seats as well.

Maybe look into molle panel systems for the bed. I have them on both sides of the bed. Hatchet and splitting axe mounted on one side, sholve on the other with plenty of room to add a med kit.

Most people don't have hatchets and axes and have their straps, shackles etc. mounted on the system. Recovery boards will be sitting loose in the bed.

Use an expanding cargo bar to pin it all to the front of the bed behind the max trax.

Thanks for the responses guys! I'll look into all these ideas. I need something that isn't going to fly around when wheeling at speed, not sure a box with a strap or an expanding cargo bar would cut it.. But its worth a look.

Maybe look into molle panel systems for the bed. I have them on both sides of the bed. Hatchet and splitting axe mounted on one side, sholve on the other with plenty of room to add a med kit.

Most people don't have hatchets and axes and have their straps, shackles etc. mounted on the system. Recovery boards will be sitting loose in the bed.

Do you have any idea how well these panels stand up to abuse with everything strapped in? They mention not to use them as a tiedown so I can't imagine they're very strong. But maybe I'm wrong?

Don't underestimate the amount of space available behind the rear seats as well.

This is where all my* recovery gear is stored. I would prefer that they are more accessible from the outside of my truck for quick access, but I also don't plan on getting stuck. My recovery boards are mounted on my roof rack.

Edit*

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses guys! I'll look into all these ideas. I need something that isn't going to fly around when wheeling at speed, not sure a box with a strap or an expanding cargo bar would cut it.. But its worth a look.

Do you have any idea how well these panels stand up to abuse with everything strapped in? They mention not to use them as a tiedown so I can't imagine they're very strong. But maybe I'm wrong?
I wouldn't use them as a tie down. I don't have anything heavy on them but it's made to have a hi-lift jack mounted to it. I figure if they can handle that weight anything else should be fine.

Back