• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Light bar wiring harness question

Sonoran_Tj

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2020 TRD OR DCSB Manual
Silver Sky
I want this Rigid/USNV white/IR light bar, but one of my main concerns with my build is an OEM appearance. I don't like the provided switch so I'm wondering if building a new wiring harness that uses SPST switches is possible. I think two SPST switches, one for white light and one for IR, would work. What I don't fully understand looking at the Rigid wiring diagram is how the ground wires are routed, there appears to be only one coming out of the plug to the light but there appear to be three going into the switch. Anyone have an idea on how to wire up this light bar the way I'd like to? I want to be confident of a solution before I order an $1100 light bar.

wiring harness.png

All they are doing is sharing Negative and Positive between the two relays from a single power source & ground. Ideally you could take that center takeout or what you might call the switch portion of the harness, cut that tape-tube or whatever they may be using for conduit and use it to go to two individual switches if that's what you wanted to do.

We make our own harnesses more often than not and if you look at how a basic Potter/Brumfield or Bosch relay works; the HOT | IN | OUT | GROUND method should work fine. Much like a Turn-on Relay would in an audio setup.

PINS:
30 - Power supply/Battery fused lead (keep in mind draw of circuit amperage for wire gauge & fuse)
86 - Ground - to switch from a ground source (negative trigger)
85 - Positive: Jump to 30
87 - Output to circuit positive
87a - Not Used

Upvote 0
Back