• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Light bar for a guy who hates light bars?

StormRnr

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Silver Sky
Howdy,

I hate light bars. Hate em. Hate the way they look, hate the goobers who turn them on on the streets, hate the switches and all that crap.

HOWEVER. We did some night driving the other day on slow and fast dirt roads and my LED upgraded stock 2017 head lights are not good enough for me anymore. So my question is:

What are some good minimalist driving light options? I have the Warn Semi Hiden bumper, so I don't think the hiden light bar option would work unless I cut off the tube hoop, which I suppose I could do since I don't really like that either.

I'm looking at the Baja Designs Squadron R Sport light which go in the fog light placement. I never use the fog lights, so I wouldn't miss them, but when the fog lights come on, the high beams go off, so they'd have to be bright enough by themselves.

Any other options. I've never really thought about upgrading the headlights, but are there head lights that add off road lights?

I really don't want the lights mounted on the sides of the hood. Or really anything that sticks up on top or is visible, preferably.

Thanks, and sorry for being a hater.

I'm pretty much with you on this. I like the keep the exterior of the truck pretty unmolested. Upgraded, but unmolested. I also think ditch lights and light bars look like crap, especially on the street.

The hidden light bar that goes behind the lower grille is really the best option for people like us, and there are some factory style switches that match decently close to the stock color available. Not sure how far the bars stick out behind the grill though. It's on my list along with some S2 chase lights, but have some more pressing upgrades to do first.

Upgrading the headlights was one of the first things I did, I could not stand the output with the stock projectors, even with 2stroke 3.0 leds in them (which pwn in every other housing I've tried them in). Ended up swapping in the Morimoto XB gen 2 headlights as I think they look 100x better than the oem leds and they have marginally better output and sharper cutoff, and a better warranty. More than 2x as bright as the led-in-stock-projectors setup and fully pnp.

You might be able to get away with swapping in some higher output fogs - the stocks are pretty pathetic. Either the DD SS3's or the new Elites. I just ordered a set of Elites myself as I'm not a big fan of the 4pod fogs, you can't deny their output though. (These are replacing a set of Morimoto XB fogs - they work fine but were not bright enough).

Last edited:
Seems like this might fit your criteria, but not that one specifically because FUCK THAT PRICE!

I use cheap amazon lights and they work just fine. 99% of the light, 24% of the price

Maybe this?

Original link: https://www.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-LED-Bar-Lightbar-Mounting/dp/B01M1ORYBP

I've also debated this. Since I'm a Sport owner, I thought about doing a skewp light bar, but I'm kinda picky like you. They look kinda goofy, and when would I use it?

Unlike you, anytime my headlights are on I run my fogs.

The hidden grill light bar would work. Except that I have the warn semi hiden bumper and I'd have to 1) cut off the hoop and 2) relocate the solenoid on the winch. I'm not opposed to those things. But I could also cut the bumpber for some flush mount Baja Designs Squadrons...

Look into the brite box. It allows you to run your lows, highs, and fogs at the same time. Or get a couple Baja designs lp4’s or something and hang them on the bottom side of the bumper hoop 🤷🏼‍♂️. Most people seem to overdue lighting for what they need. With the products out there these days, it doesn’t take many lights to light up the night lol. I have the non sae Baja fog light kit and it’s wicked bright. If you do replace the fogs make sure it’s sae if you want to use them on the street or you will definitely blind people.

Look into the brite box. It allows you to run your lows, highs, and fogs at the same time. Or get a couple Baja designs lp4’s or something and hang them on the bottom side of the bumper hoop 🤷🏼‍♂️. Most people seem to overdue lighting for what they need. With the products out there these days, it doesn’t take many lights to light up the night lol. I have the non sae Baja fog light kit and it’s wicked bright. If you do replace the fogs make sure it’s sae if you want to use them on the street or you will definitely blind people.
9D0B75F1-2426-45D2-8263-6A6A1BCD3492.png

THAT's IT! Thank you! I'm going to try the squadrons in the fog light position and use this to get high beams and fogs at the same time. that should do it.

-M

Forgot all about the bright box. That is such a rad little device.

Back