• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Lift kits

Coreyrusso6

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Yo guys. I have a question tho about lift kits. So being i use my truck (2018 trd off road) for work / spend 95% of my time on the road doing around 500+ miles a week for work i want to get a lift to put some beefier tires on but dont want to sacrifice on road performance, while adding some off road performance. Also dont want super crazy super huge lift just looking for something in the middle grounds. Hoping to spend around 1500 to 2000 but not strictly held to that number. Do you have any advice or knowledge you can shed on this for me? Appreciate any and all help.

Also tow my boat and snowmobiles so something a bit stronger in the back end would be nice.

If you just want to fit bigger tires, gain some small off-road performance, and haul/tow, I think you’d be fine with OME 887 front coils, Bilstein 5100 shocks front/rear, and a heavy duty leaf pack from @DobinsonsUSA, Dakar, or Deaver. It would also be recommended to replace your upper control arms at this time. I would use the SPC ones.

If you want the truck to ride even better, and still maintain that budget, you can opt for some coilovers and rear shocks from Icon or Bilstein (6112), for example, and still do the heavy duty leaf pack for the weight.

https://www.headstrongoffroad.com/store/p402/Coil/Bilstein_5100_Kit_w/_Dakars_(HS16BK-1-Dakar).html

This is the most common entry level lift that puts out great performance for a decent price.

Options should be:

Coil: 2887
Strut assembly: Yes
Upper control arms: SPC adjustable
Dakar leaf pack: Heavy duty

Just remember: You could opt for even better shocks, also known as coilovers. You won’t be disappointed with the 5100s in the link above, though. That Dakar leaf pack is great but very squeaky. If you want to try to avoid a squeak, you can opt out of that part and get one from @DobinsonsUSA instead (or another brand).

My only advice from my own experiences is that the hobby escalates quickly. I ran the OME kit with aal and spc uca's for about a year. As i added weight i ended up upgrading the rear. It just kept on escalating to the point where i regretted not going to an extended travel setup. I read the forums about people saying to just save and get a better kit but i did my own thing anyways. At the end of the day you do you and enjoy the taco man! (but i suggest saving the extra coin for an extended travel setup ?)

They do perform fairly well, i was just disappointed with the lack of downward travel. Enjoy!

My only advice from my own experiences is that the hobby escalates quickly. I ran the OME kit with aal and spc uca's for about a year. As i added weight i ended up upgrading the rear. It just kept on escalating to the point where i regretted not going to an extended travel setup. I read the forums about people saying to just save and get a better kit but i did my own thing anyways. At the end of the day you do you and enjoy the taco man! (but i suggest saving the extra coin for an extended travel setup ?)

They do perform fairly well, i was just disappointed with the lack of downward travel. Enjoy!
I also replaced my setup with Icons after 8 months to a year. But I was happy with the OME/5100 setup while I had it.

I'm looking for the same type of lift probably 2" lift on a daily driver but I do t really do much towing. What is the best package you recommend ?

Back