• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Lift Kits

Smitty

6️⃣ Aficionado
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR AC Auto
Blazing Blue Pearl
So I've been looking around at some lift kits, specifically on Rough Country, and I'm honestly not sure what I need. This is what I've come across. Thoughts and suggestions anyone?

3 Inch Lift Kit | Toyota Tacoma 2WD/4WD (2005-2022) (https://www.roughcountry.com/toyota-suspension-lift-kit-745c.html?find=2017-toyota-tacoma-4wd-739579)
1653559509092.png

To be honest for not much more you could go with the Eibach Stage 1 lift. The RC would get it done, but being that you would be going over 2" you might consider doing more to the truck than you wanted to. Diff drop would come in handy, sway bar relocate and possibly a diff bearing/bushing replacement from ECGS. My truck is lifted around 2" and for me it works.

I was looking at RC before I got my lift from a member.

With any lifts, you may want a front tranfer case diff drop kit, sway bar relocation kit. Front and rear bump stops. Install a rear add-a-lift spring for more bed support. Maybe a UCA aftermarket?

I think I'm gonna go with a 2" lift after seeing some differences and all that. Why would I wanna do a diff drop kit and all that fancy stuff? What does that help with?

I really enjoy my Toytec Aluma 2.0! Picked it up from @gelsi2033 a few months ago.

It's been great, very smooth on the highway. It's very comfortable off road as well, handles everything I've thrown at it so far.
Aluma 2.0.jpg

It did not come with a rear lift, I just went with a block for now as 90% of my driving is on the highway.

C2B8B27A-FBB7-429E-9C4A-071B707F1349.jpg

So from my understanding (sorry I'm not really familiar with lifts and all that still) if I lift my Taco, it'll be leveled too? Or do I need a leveling kit too? This is where I get confused haha

So from my understanding (sorry I'm not really familiar with lifts and all that still) if I lift my Taco, it'll be leveled too? Or do I need a leveling kit too? This is where I get confused haha
Just need one kit depending on what you want to do, budget, preferences and intended use. Leveling kit just means a front lift to match the rear height. If you lift the front 1" and no lift in the rear, you have leveled it out. A 2" front, 1" rear block will also level it.

Factory rake is about 1". If you go with 2" front lift and nothing in the rear, you will have a reverse rake. @TCOTUE originally had that when he put in a 2" front lift which is why he went with a 1" block in the rear to level it out.

There are so many options, variations and opinions it can make your head spin. Take your time and do as much research as you can before you decide. @StormRnr mentions a couple of really solid options above.

I have 1.5" front (6112 Bilstein clip 5/4) and 1.5" rear (3AAL rear) retaining the factory rake of 1". I prefer to keep it that way because I load up the bed on long trips. Some people prefer a more level look with a bit more lift up front. There is more than one right answer here, just need to find what suits your use, budget and taste. Good luck!

1653657473546.png

A Front diff drop kit, after a 2 inch lift will lower your angles on the the C.V. axles and joints, prolonging the life of those components . Most of these kits are approx $35, and a easy install. Worth the small price. Vs the cost to replacing the CV axles and joints, boots.

I think I'm gonna go with a 2" lift after seeing some differences and all that. Why would I wanna do a diff drop kit and all that fancy stuff? What does that help with?
For what it’s worth:

I started with a ~3” lift for the first few years. Eventually, it became more of a ~3.5-4” lift after some adjustments. It has been this way for over 4 years, without ever doing a diff drop. A diff drop is mainly to avoid driveshaft and CV axle vibration/stress by decreasing the angle of the shafts (to counter the increased angle from the lift). I’ve never had an issue not having the drop, so in my opinion, it’s not necessary for lift under 4”.

Somehow found my original thread about this... nice.. anyways:
I'm definitely going with 3" lift, either Bilstein or ICON. I hear people talk shit about ICON, I think the shocks the kit has aren't great? What does everyone think about ICON?

For what it’s worth:

I started with a ~3” lift for the first few years. Eventually, it became more of a ~3.5-4” lift after some adjustments. It has been this way for over 4 years, without ever doing a diff drop. A diff drop is mainly to avoid driveshaft and CV axle vibration/stress by decreasing the angle of the shafts (to counter the increased angle from the lift). I’ve never had an issue not having the drop, so in my opinion, it’s not necessary for lift under 4”.
So you have pictures of this setup? Trying to get a visual of what this would look like as I think a 2 in lift is too small for my liking

@zsmith4472, I have them and they are great! Highly recommended to my by a pro. Stage 3 was sufficient for my needs.
See build link: The time has come for the 406 Camper build thread (https://tacoma3g.com/threads/the-time-has-come-for-the-406-camper-build-thread.12874/)

My backup was Bilstein 6112 front and 5100 rear, but I couldn't get those at the time.
I've only heard bad things about ICON but tbh I've only heard it from people who have the stage 2 I think, and not on a Tacoma..... How do you like it? Worth the $3K?

I got them for $2500 at the time. Yes, they have been great. My buddy has them on all 12 of his rigs and he runs them hard in Arizona. The Stage 3 are not ride height adjustable on the fly. Would be nice to have that.

So you have pictures of this setup? Trying to get a visual of what this would look like as I think a 2 in lift is too small for my liking
I do. Let me dig through my camera roll in a minute here.

Not sure where I was reading about the different leaf springs and the issues each have suck as need for different shackles due to binding, taperd cut etc... This was Tacoma specific so if anyone knows where it is I would love to read it. I thought it was a forum post here but I can't find it.

Back