• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Let's Talk: Air Compressors

Sour_Taco

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.cascadiaconcealment.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
White
I've been on the verge of ordering the twin ARB + EXE bedside mount for a couple of weeks.

See this thread for install on said setup: https://tacoma3g.com/threads/expedition-essentials-arb-dual-compressor-bed-mount-kit.632/

I've read a few threads on TW, and watched a few other videos on the subject. One detail I just can't decide on is whether I want a single or dual ARB compressor. I'm not so sure I'll need the power or speed of a dual setup, but I hate the idea of needing something I wasn't willing to spend the few extra bucks on (we're talking $300 in this case).

Any experts out there care to enlighten me on the pro/con of the single vs dual compressors?

don't have one yet but plan on the dual. just never know what I might decide to do in the future and wanna be ready. buy once cry once as everyone is going to say

Upvote 0
don't have one yet but plan on the dual. just never know what I might decide to do in the future and wanna be ready. buy once cry once as everyone is going to say

This is really why I am leaning towards the dual setup. As I mentioned above, I don't want to need but not have.

Upvote 0
Get the dual, the extra output is worth it after a day on the trail when it's hot out and you want to head home. It's crazy fast.
me1DfTP.jpg

Upvote 0
Also if you can help others faster airing up if something goes wrong with theirs or when someone steals it from your taco (happened to me ?)

Upvote 0
I've been on the verge of ordering the twin ARB + EXE bedside mount for a couple of weeks.

See this thread for install on said setup: https://tacoma3g.com/threads/expedition-essentials-arb-dual-compressor-bed-mount-kit.632/

I've read a few threads on TW, and watched a few other videos on the subject. One detail I just can't decide on is whether I want a single or dual ARB compressor. I'm not so sure I'll need the power or speed of a dual setup, but I hate the idea of needing something I wasn't willing to spend the few extra bucks on (we're talking $300 in this case).

Any experts out there care to enlighten me on the pro/con of the single vs dual compressors?

I love my dual setup. It will air up your tires faster and has enough output to run some air tools as well. I hope the write up I did helps if you decide to go the twin with the EXE mount.

Upvote 0
I think my only hangup at this point is sales tax. haha. Living in the same state as EXE, I'd have to give Gov. Jay and his cronies my tax money. I don't like that part of it.

I feel ya. Sometimes ya just gotta do it to support the locals though.

Upvote 0
I have the ARB CKMA12 installed in the bed. For me it was too slow and gets really hot airing 4 tires from 12 to 35 psi. I put together a 20lb Co2 tank and couldn't be happier. The compressor is now the backup and pretty much only use it for airbags.

Upvote 0
Has anyone ever tried to fill an inflatable paddle board with an OBA setup? I travel with my boards and can't get a straight answer if they will push enough volume to fill the board rapidly. In the meantime I have a pump that attaches to the battery.

Upvote 0
Has anyone ever tried to fill an inflatable paddle board with an OBA setup? I travel with my boards and can't get a straight answer if they will push enough volume to fill the board rapidly. In the meantime I have a pump that attaches to the battery.

I have not inflated a paddle board but I filled a 5 gallon air tank to 110psi in less than 2 min.

Upvote 0
I had both the single and eventually got the twin. While the price is higher, you’ll appreciate saving time when airing back up. Often we go down to 10psi in the snow and 15psi in the sand so airing back up is a breeze with the twin. The single will do the job but takes longer. Only problem with the twin is that you’ll end up airing up everyone else too!

Upvote 0
Hello everyone - quick Q - does anyone know of an ARB twin compressor mount that goes on the passenger side behind the intake?
I like my mount from Mountain Off Road, aka M.O.R.E cause it allows you to mount an air tank below the compressor.
2A94DE69-84D3-4EE3-B01C-91F206ED1EBA.jpeg

Upvote 0
I like my mount from Mountain Off Road, aka M.O.R.E cause it allows you to mount an air tank below the compressor.
2A94DE69-84D3-4EE3-B01C-91F206ED1EBA.jpeg

I dig that. Hadn't seen that. Thanks for sharing. I've been wanting a setup that I could add a tank to.

Upvote 0
Reviving this one a bit - does anyone use any form of battery powered air compressors? do they just not output enough air for the battery run time and that's why no one uses them?

Upvote 0
I've been using a Powertank CO2 system lately. It's very fast. Very quiet. The inflation experience is much better. Obviously you have to fill it, and it will run out. But they say you can get a dozen fills or so out of one tank.

It's about $26 to fill the tank here in Reno, NV. The tank is much bigger than a compressor however and you can't hide it under the hood.

-M

Upvote 0
I've been using a Powertank CO2 system lately. It's very fast. Very quiet. The inflation experience is much better. Obviously you have to fill it, and it will run out. But they say you can get a dozen fills or so out of one tank.

It's about $26 to fill the tank here in Reno, NV. The tank is much bigger than a compressor however and you can't hide it under the hood.

-M
Yea, I was going to go the ARB twin route, but just seeing what people's thoughts are for the battery powered ones, maybe even some that are made by power tool companies, I have plenty of Milwaukee batteries. hahaha.

Upvote 0
Yea, I was going to go the ARB twin route, but just seeing what people's thoughts are for the battery powered ones, maybe even some that are made by power tool companies, I have plenty of Milwaukee batteries. hahaha.
I’ve never seen a battery one being used out and about. But if you have the batteries you could blaze your own trail and let us all know what you think! A battery powered air compressor could be handy for all kinds of things so you’d definitely get your use out of it.

Upvote 0
I've just installed the dual. I've found it gets hot and precipitates quite a bit. I would definitely say you should plan on getting a tank as well. Not sure if that fits your budget.

Upvote 0
Back