• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Let's hear it! How long have YOU gone without a front license plate in California?

How many years have you gone without a front license plate?

• Total voters

Merkoose

3️⃣ Silver
Reaction score
2019 Sport DCSB Auto
White
Hi guys!!

I've been scavenging the internet and forums searching far and wide; I don't think anyone has asked the question here.
I'm curious about my truck brethren! My dudes with those front bumper replacements and winches and all of that great stuff.
Maybe you don't even have that stuff, but you still rebel?

How long have you gone without having a front license plate and no police ever caused you trouble?

I would also like to ask, are your windows tinted? Windshield tinted?

I've been driving for 13 years now, I've always had tinted windows and I have never been pulled over for it; or a mention of tinted windows by an officer.

So how long have you gone without your front license plate? I'm thinking of taking mine off, I just want to know how long my other Southern California Tacoma friends have gone without theirs..

If you pay attention, a lot of Mercedes, BMW, (especially) Teslas, and other higher end vehicles, or modded hondas and Subarus also don't have front license plates.

Anyways, end rant.

Looking forward to any and all responses; thanks guys!

Hi guys!!

I've been scavenging the internet and forums searching far and wide; I don't think anyone has asked the question here.
I'm curious about my truck brethren! My dudes with those front bumper replacements and winches and all of that great stuff.
Maybe you don't even have that stuff, but you still rebel?

How long have you gone without having a front license plate and no police ever caused you trouble?

I would also like to ask, are your windows tinted? Windshield tinted?

I've been driving for 13 years now, I've always had tinted windows and I have never been pulled over for it; or a mention of tinted windows by an officer.

So how long have you gone without your front license plate? I'm thinking of taking mine off, I just want to know how long my other Southern California Tacoma friends have gone without theirs..

If you pay attention, a lot of Mercedes, BMW, (especially) Teslas, and other higher end vehicles, or modded hondas and Subarus also don't have front license plates.

Anyways, end rant.

Looking forward to any and all responses; thanks guys!
Been pulled over for both tint and no front plate. Actually had a fix it ticket issued and I had to show up with my front plate installed so they could sign off on it. Not worth giving anyone a reason, even airport police said something... Now I like the look of it though, especially removing that hideous bulky stock plate holder.

Been pulled over for both tint and no front plate. Actually had a fix it ticket issued and I had to show up with my front plate installed so they could sign off on it. Not worth giving anyone a reason, even airport police said something... Now I like the look of it though, especially removing that hideous bulky stock plate holder.

Ahhh! Thanks for your input man, damn that’s a horrible fix it ticket. You’re right it’s so dorky having that front plate, I’m still on the fence like crazy.

I've never had a front plate. I Always remove it. I went 18 years on my last vehicle no front plate and the only time I had an issue was because I parked in a no parking zone. I got a parking ticket with additional violations tint and no front plate fix it. I didn't even fix it. I just paid the fine and kept on rollin. I feel like the police will only bust you for no front plate if they catch you doing something else wrong. Rebel for life. lol.

I've never had a front plate. I Always remove it. I went 18 years on my last vehicle no front plate and the only time I had an issue was because I parked in a no parking zone. I got a parking ticket with additional violations tint and no front plate fix it. I didn't even fix it. I just paid the fine and kept on rollin. I feel like the police will only bust you for no front plate if they catch you doing something else wrong. Rebel for life. lol.

Ha! Interesting, what a heck of a ticket. 18 years and only one instance of getting your balls broken? That's pretty good! Thanks for your story! -- Interesting that you got a fix it ticket and didn't even fix it and you can just pay it. I didn't know it worked that way! I like the sound of it.

I do have a front plate mounted to my grille and dark tints but it hasn’t been a problem. I live on a military base so the police see my truck each time I come and go.

More impressively though, is my rear plate on my CUCV. It is taped to the rear window and has no light. I daily drove it that way for two years, have had plenty of cops behind me, but nothing.

93F39C52-9B30-463F-93C0-EAD84CF66245.jpeg
85124330-C76B-4828-B2DC-ADD31BFE3656.jpeg
53CD283F-351C-40BF-8F9F-5A2EFB5A934B.jpeg
EA61A5D0-B967-468D-A59C-8BD80944F106.jpeg

I just recently pulled it off the truck when I added the winch up front, but I've been running without a front plate on other cars for well over 10 years. I have been pulled over for it but it's been a fix it ticket so no big deal.

I've had tint on all my cars including the truck. Only time I had issues with the plate in the past was once getting pulled over for 10 over the speed limit (which was in an area where the speeds rapidly decreased and I was slowing), and once when the car was parked and the cool tagged me for no plate and tint. I came out to the car and saw the ticket, walked across the street (live across from a police station) and had the cop sign it off.

I havent had one the entire time ive owned my Tacoma

I just know if I take my front plate off the guards at the gate are going to instantly issue me a ticket because that's just my luck. I'd love to not have one though.
California law states if your truck doesnt have a mounting spot for a front license plate then its not required to run one, mine never came with one, then i got the new bumper so i just never did. I registered my truck in florida last december though so idk

California law states if your truck doesnt have a mounting spot for a front license plate then its not required to run one, mine never came with one, then i got the new bumper so i just never did. I registered my truck in florida last december though so idk
I didn’t know that.

I didn’t know that.
Ya it will say it on your tag papers when you recieve your plate, pretty sure you can call them to correct it if you were issued two but dont have a front mounting area. thats what i did for mine. My truck came from colorado though so idk if that has something to do with it, but they said i didnt have to have the front one.

I never heard about that and the CA code that I can find doesn't stipulate it. I even asked a few LEO's I know and it's debatable even mounting diagonally on the aftermarket bumper will pass due to the angle. Putting in on the dash doesn't pass legally as it's also not permanently mounted.

I never heard about that and the CA code that I can find doesn't stipulate it. I even asked a few LEO's I know and it's debatable even mounting diagonally on the aftermarket bumper will pass due to the angle. Putting in on the dash doesn't pass legally as it's also not permanently mounted.
thats just what it said when i had received my plates. when i called and told them i didnt have a front mount and they sent me two they said it would be corrected after about an hour on the phone.

Vehicle code section 5200, not sure if its changed since. this was in 2017

Almost three years in my last vehicle which I always parked in my drive way. For one reason or another I parked in front of my house on the street over night. Woke up next morning to go to work and i had a ticket on my windshield for the plate. Ticket was given at 2:03am
Cool stary bra

Almost three years in my last vehicle which I always parked in my drive way. For one reason or another I parked in front of my house on the street over night. Woke up next morning to go to work and i had a ticket on my windshield for the plate. Ticket was given at 2:03am
Cool stary bra
Dang, that's a bust.

Lol saw this the other day. I am not sure what is worse, having the plate in the front, or doing this?

Attachments

• 9264DB40-ED76-4806-8B2B-1CB08F5E10AD.jpeg
    9264DB40-ED76-4806-8B2B-1CB08F5E10AD.jpeg
    359.6 KB · Views: 110
  • 66CD613B-F42C-4127-A33D-8E512611E9FF.jpeg
    66CD613B-F42C-4127-A33D-8E512611E9FF.jpeg
    433.8 KB · Views: 118
Back