• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

LED Headlight Bulbs

SR5_Nomad

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
Let me start by saying I know there have been many threads on this exact topic in the past. However, most of the threads are a few years old and there never is much consensus.

I have a 2018 SR5 and (obviously) want to get rid of the crummy halogen bulbs it comes with. A few of the LED replacement bulbs I've been told about are no longer available. I also hear complaints about fan noise, flickering, overheating, and other issues with some LED replacement bulbs. Is there a current "go to" on the market for LED's in a Tacoma? Ideally I'd like something plug and play and don't have to worry about in terms of overheating, damaging the truck's wiring, etc.

Thank you in advance!

Not too sure about LED bulbs myself. I only had them for the high beams in the stock headlights.

XenonDepot got a lot of great feedback on their HID kits. Won't mess with factory wiring. No error messages.

I have a set sitting around if you're interested.
Has 3 of each bulb. XD 4300k and Philips 4300k upgrade. I only took them out because I got the Morimoto headlights.

Worth checking if you consider the HID route. More light output. They are on all sorts of Tacoma/4Runner forums and a lot of other vehicles.

Original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5OhCnc_yZc

Here's a review by the UpTop guys:

Last edited:
I'm running Morimoto 5500k at 35watts in my low beams. Hikari ULTRA leds in my highbeams. Morimoto 2stroke 2.0's in my fogs. I plan on upgrading to a Morimoto full assembly in the future. If you're looking for LED plug and play, I suggest the 2strokes. They have a similar pattern to halogen and will heat the housings in cold weather, if you're in a snow state.

My Honda Odyssey has a full HID retrofit and I'm burning 6500k H1s at 55watts and Hakari ultras in my highbeams and fogs. I can see over a 1/4 mile down the road. Nothing will beat a full retrofit, but for simple upgrades, a PNP bulb will do. I stand behind Morimoto and their warranty and fully recommend the 2strokes.

I'm running the Sealight LED for my headlight and fogs. I've had zero issues with them. No flickers or fail to start. They are fairly bright, and don't blind anyone when properly adjusted. I drove behind my wife one night, and asked how it looked. She had no complaints from them, her OEM LED's are brighter (Acura RDX).

I bought mine on amazon for under $80. The reviews for the Sealight ones are the reason I bought them. They were plug and play, with a fan. My only complaint is once they are warmed up, the fan is fairly loud.

9810F793-EC70-47D6-BCE6-06D5C3F916A3.jpeg
98A5838E-8F6E-4305-A409-EEE4BB9328CC.jpeg

Let me start by saying I know there have been many threads on this exact topic in the past. However, most of the threads are a few years old and there never is much consensus.

I have a 2018 SR5 and (obviously) want to get rid of the crummy halogen bulbs it comes with. A few of the LED replacement bulbs I've been told about are no longer available. I also hear complaints about fan noise, flickering, overheating, and other issues with some LED replacement bulbs. Is there a current "go to" on the market for LED's in a Tacoma? Ideally I'd like something plug and play and don't have to worry about in terms of overheating, damaging the truck's wiring, etc.

Thank you in advance!
Have you considered HID?

I did the switch two weeks ago. Installed 40W led bulbs in the low beam. Let me tell you that it is a big upgrade in lightning performance and color wise. I will probably move these 40W to the fog light housings and order a set of 60W H11 for the lows, I do think the lows would benefit from a brighter led. I recommend the upgrade, easy install, just pop the hood and you are able to swap the bulbs without any issues. Fog lights are a bit complicated, at least the passenger side. Driver's side can be reached and changed from top, accessing them from inner fender between headlight assembly. Passenger side was not easy, had to remove fender trim and part of inner wheel well plastic (inner splash guard), it then allows some bending which will allow you to reach fog light bulb and change it. I installed 6500k which is whiter than normal. I would not recommend anything past 6500K since it moves to a bluer color scale.

Back