• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Learning transmission and new tires.

TheyCallMeTaco

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Put about 2.5k on original tires before having 235x85x16 installed Tuesday. Drove 2.5 hrs on mostly Interstate at around 78/9 mph to get to my hunting area today. It was windy and hilly. That said the truck spent most of its time in 4th and 5th gear. 5th I understand, but it spent most of its time in 4th. Needless to say mpg was terrible. I understand the tires are taller and heavier than original, but not by that much. Is it possible it's going to take time for the transmission to relearn the new tires? Thanks

Put about 2.5k on original tires before having 235x85x16 installed Tuesday. Drove 2.5 hrs on mostly Interstate at around 78/9 mph to get to my hunting area today. It was windy and hilly. That said the truck spent most of its time in 4th and 5th gear. 5th I understand, but it spent most of its time in 4th. Needless to say mpg was terrible. I understand the tires are taller and heavier than original, but not by that much. Is it possible it's going to take time for the transmission to relearn the new tires? Thanks
It'll attempt to learn, but won't do very well. Try shifting into "manual," and put it in 5th gear, that'll adjust the programming a bit. I had some success with that.

Second, get a tune. I'm using KDmax, but there are lots of options and all are better than the stock engine-tiramisu on tuning.

Lol, tiramisu sounds good. But that was supposed to say engine-transmission 😂

I think resetting the learned values or whatever it's called is SOP when getting a tune. I have the same tire size and all I have is a tune.

Silly question, but is the ECT turned on?

Back