• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Help! Leak at oil filter cap / housing

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
Did an oil change, start the truck, see a pretty significant class III leak. It’s at the oil filter housing / cap.

I figure the new o-ring that came with the new filter (Mobil 1) is bad, so I went out and bought another whole filter kit ($$ lol). The new o-ring didn’t work either, and neither o-ring looked bad anyway.

The plastic filter cap threads or the threads inside the housing are damaged, I assume. I did a thorough cleaning and inspection of both areas and no visible damaged threads.

So, wtf is the problem, I’m thinking? Can the plastic filter cap get warped from heat or from tightening it too much? Is my cap warped?

I kind of felt defeated and also hoped it would be the $40 plastic cap and not the aluminum housing attached to the engine. My plan was to order a new one and see what happens.

I put everything back together so nothing would drip on the driveway and figured let me turn the truck on one more time to have a look.

Guess what? It did end up being the plastic cap but not in the way I expected. It seems to be leaking out of a small crack in the plastic, which wasn’t as obvious the first time, but now shown clearly in the photo below.

I’ll try to get the new cap this weekend if Toyota has them in stock. Just posting for anyone’s future searches.

EF98A180-9908-44B4-B44A-446534E70453.jpeg

AB25D68A-92A7-426E-A132-487F9E084DF8.jpeg

A2A32C48-15E4-4E67-9A45-5325F76DE8E5.png

MotivX tools work great, especially the drain fitting and hose.

One thing you have to be careful of is when you install the large O'ring on the housing, make sure it is in the correct place. Also, the factory filters are reasonably price so I would not bother with aftermarket.

Upvote 0
When installing or changing the filter do not over tighten.
It is a plastic part you can damage it.
The O ring is what seals the filter cap not the threads.

It will always seem harder to remove than install,
this is normal as the O ring is holding a seal and it is at a higher temperature when removing.

Temperature affects contact tension. The plastic cap expands when warm (removing) and contracts when cool (installing).
Nature of the Beast!

Upvote 0
Back